You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture10 (resized).JPG
WOZ-lights (resized).jpg
Capture9 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

It seems I can't enjoy a few games without something going wrong, this time more light board problems. From what I can tell the scarecrow, lion. lion rollover, and rainbow lights are now out. Nothing on the Throne room or Lion RGB are working. Tried replacing Lion rollover GI board #27, reseated cables everywhere, no change. Not sure what to do next, I'm not that technically skilled and don't know what to do next. Any help would be greatly appreciated, very depressing....

#2 6 years ago

Look at page C-54 in the manual. This shows the data harness path. In a straight line from board to board ( red connector to green connector, each board in the line ). Starting with W6, then #29, then #1, #2, etc. etc.

Go into Tests - LEDs - All LEDs, this turns working ones on and white. Lift playfield up and lean on backbox. Usually you find the last working one, the next one in line that is out is the bad one. By pass a bad one, if all the others light up, you know which one is bad.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

been a while since I changed a board and I've changed a lot of them, but yeah they follow a path.

Like LTG said go to led test - all LEDs, refer to the manual to find out which one was the last one that was out in the path. it very well could be a loose pin/ loosened crimp in one of the connector though this is less likely. take out a known working board and test it on that path replacing the bad one.

Also if it's still under warranty go through the colors and make sure they are lit the right color R/G/B/W if not you have a bad board as well. Get those replaced ASAP. Frank the tech at JJP said to only use wizards mist and shine to clean the playfield, and to not use any novus products as this could cause more light board issues. the electronics used in this game are really sensitive when it comes to static electricity. I'd even go so far as to ground your self with a static bracelet if your on carpet.

#4 6 years ago

Capture9 (resized).JPGCapture9 (resized).JPG

WOZ-lights (resized).jpgWOZ-lights (resized).jpg

Capture10 (resized).JPGCapture10 (resized).JPG

#5 6 years ago

If the LION lights are not working try bypassing the W4 board which includes the throne room lights you said are not working, especially if light 26 and the TOTO lights are working.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

If the LION lights are not working try bypassing the W4 board which includes the throne room lights you said are not working, especially if light 26 and the TOTO lights are working.

A lot of good stuff here, thank you all. Being the dunce that I am, how do you bypass a board? Is it disconnecting the suspect board, and move the connectors from the last working board to the board after the one bypassing, in this case W4?

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from apinballwiz:

Being the dunce that I am, how do you bypass a board? Is it disconnecting the suspect board, and move the connectors from the last working board to the board after the one bypassing, in this case W4?

Yes, using the diagram in the manual so see the order of the cables, you just skip from the board before the bad one to the board AFTER the bad one. Sometimes you need a longer cable to make the jumps. I bought three of the longest cables from JJP just for this.

Once you bypass the board make SURE you go into game settings and DISABLE the board or the lights won't be the right colors.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Once you bypass the board make SURE you go into game settings and DISABLE the board or the lights won't be the right colors.

And when you put a new board back in and hook everything up the way it was. Be sure and go into settings and turn that board back on.

LTG : )

#9 6 years ago

Thank you everyone for your input. Turns out the problem was GI board #26. What I'm a little confused about is that the board was working - I just replaced it for the hell of it since #27 was out. Put the old board back in and the problem came back. Had a very similar problem a couple of months ago in which when I replaced board #24, which solved the problem even though it was lighting up in the game as well. Replaced cables going to that board and to board #26, no difference. Guess both boards failed in a strange way? Hopefully this will be it for at least a while, and want to sincerely thank everyone again for taking the time to help me!

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from apinballwiz:

Thank you everyone for your input. Turns out the problem was GI board #26. What I'm a little confused about is that the board was working - I just replaced it for the hell of it since #27 was out. Put the old board back in and the problem came back. Had a very similar problem a couple of months ago in which when I replaced board #24, which solved the problem even though it was lighting up in the game as well. Replaced cables going to that board and to board #26, no difference. Guess both boards failed in a strange way? Hopefully this will be it for at least a while, and want to sincerely thank everyone again for taking the time to help me!

The board itself can appear to work, but mess up the next light in the chain. It takes a while to get used to diagnosing them, but once you get the hang of it, it's quick work. You might want to order a couple extra long cables from JJP which help when you have a long distance to jump over a bad board. I keep them in the bottom of the machine, ready for use in diagnosis.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The board itself can appear to work, but mess up the next light in the chain. It takes a while to get used to diagnosing them, but once you get the hang of it, it's quick work. You might want to order a couple extra long cables from JJP which help when you have a long distance to jump over a bad board. I keep them in the bottom of the machine, ready for use in diagnosis.

Will definitely do that. What a funky system!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 91.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 5.00
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/more-lightboard-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.