Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Image3.jpg
image-1.jpg
image-907.jpg
image-962.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I'm back again with more switch issues in my JP. Starting to think this game hates me.

Anyway, here is my last topic should anyone find it relevant:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jp-switch-matrix-issue

So, jumping right into the testing here is the switch matrix I am seeing:

image-962.jpgimage-962.jpg

The switches marked in green are working fine. The ones in orange don't seem to work at all and switches in column 6 activate all the switches in that row (including the "not used" ones) when activated. I am getting frustrated with this one so instead of going nuts for much longer I've posted asking for help.

Let me know if there is anything you want me to check/test or if I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks Pinside!

#2 9 years ago

Check all the column voltages. The signal is pulsed and column 6 will most likely be locked on and reading slightly higher than the other columns (this indicates a board problem). Best done with a logic probe, but a DMM will work.

In regards to the switches that don't work it is most likely the switch is not working or a broken wire to the switch. In each column all of the switches will have two grn-xxx wires, except the last switch which will have only one grn-xxx wire. Ditto for the rows except with wht-xxx wires.

#3 9 years ago

P.S. - Very nice job of describing the problem and thanks for adding the switch matrix diagram. This is a great example for anyone having switch matrix problems of how to ask for help.

#4 9 years ago

Thanks for the kind words!

So, on your advice, I pulled out my scope to take some readings. I figured this would be better than a DMM.

This is what I found on a working column:
image-907.jpgimage-907.jpg

And this is what I found on column 6:

image-1.jpgimage-1.jpg

So it is clear to me the board is having issues on column 6. Any ideas on where the failure could be?

#5 9 years ago

Not sure on Data East, but on Williams manuals there's a page that provides a generic schematic of the column/row drivers. Then all you have to do is check the specific column you're concerned with. If you can't find anything post back here and I'll dig out a manual and give more specific directions. The following page may help also.

http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/solid-state-repair/repair-guides/146-switch-matrix-theory-and-troubleshooting

#6 9 years ago

Have you isolated the problem to the board, as in disconnected the playfeild switches and jumped the pins to see if it is doing the same thing ? I had a recent problem where the diode was shorted to ground on one of my switches cause a similar problem. Otherwise on the board I would check the *going from memory* SIP resistor packs, the component that looks like a straight line with 9? legs somewhat in the middle of the board (as I recall they don't make the correct one anymore and you have to modify the replacement by cutting off one leg

#7 9 years ago

I do need to test with the PF disconnected. That would be a good step to verify the issue.

I would hate to start working on the board when it's just a part shorted to ground.

#8 9 years ago

I seen a similar problem and it was a ball trough switch broke

#9 9 years ago

Just disconnect the column connector and then check with your scope again. No need to jumper the pins, this will tell you whether it's the board or a playfield short.

I agree the SIP's often cause problems, but let's not jump there yet.

#10 9 years ago

Checked the board with the connector removed. It tested the same.

Looking at the schematics now but I don't really have starting point short of just checking all the components one by one.

#11 9 years ago

check the SIP resistor pack, compare each leg against the others and see if one or more have a different value

#12 9 years ago

See the attached image. You've already tested at point A. Proceed testing upstream at the other red dots: B, C, D and E. You can compare each reading to the green dots I placed.

Image3.jpgImage3.jpg
#13 9 years ago

I will give it a test when I get home and see what's what.

#14 9 years ago

Looks like the collector pin shows the fault.

That seems to fall in line with what we saw on the scope. I will replace the transistor and go from there unless anyone has advice otherwise.

#15 9 years ago

If you're saying the collector has a problem and the base reads properly then I agree. In other words, point B reads differently than the other B and C reads the same as the other C.

#16 9 years ago

Following up on this.

Replacing Q50 resolved the issue and we are back in business.

Thanks everyone!

#17 9 years ago

Congratulations on getting it solved. This post should be put up as a sticky to show that's it's really not that hard to troubleshoot a problem rather than just shotgunning it.

#18 9 years ago

Ha, I would be honored if my switch matrix issue was a sticky!

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

Congratulations on getting it solved. This post should be put up as a sticky to show that's it's really not that hard to troubleshoot a problem rather than just shotgunning it.

That requires patience and reading though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/more-jp-switch-matrix-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.