Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by GSones
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20191117_140656 (resized).jpg
    068EC2FE-468F-4B54-B33F-A38F13A9AD30 (resized).jpeg
    B699A81E-2527-4D99-86F6-B44CFE371308 (resized).jpeg
    3F75398B-62B0-430A-B424-44DBB28CD0FB (resized).jpeg
    image-7 (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

Thanks everyone for helping out with my prior posts on issues I've had with my Road Kings game.

I have a very weak left flipper that I have parts coming next week to fix it, (new cabinet switch, new coil and plunger assembly, etc.....)

not only was the left flipper weak, the coil would get hot after playing a few games, hence why I just got the whole assembly and cabinet switch.

in the meantime, the right flipper has always worked just fine, while this left one has been extremely weak. I was playing a couple of games on it today since the right flipper still works well and out of nowhere, both flippers go out and now don't work at all. Both don't move at all now.
    I turned off the game, waited a while, turned it back on and again, no flipper movement.

any idea why my right flipper just stopped working?? Did it have something to do with the left one that was already weak??
    Should I of not been playing the game with a weak flipper??

Any suggestions and help is appreciated.

#2 4 years ago

Pull and check fuse(s) involved with a meter.

LTG : )

#3 4 years ago

Do you know how to check fuses? I believe that game has it's own flipper board like high speed. Fuse in the lower middle

#4 4 years ago

I'm a newbie guys, never checked fuses or know where they are. I'm doing my best to learn this stuff, but it hasn't been easy!

can someone give me the general area where they are at please

again, all help is appreciated.

#5 4 years ago

and how do you check fuses??

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from sudbeckrn:

I'm a newbie guys, never checked fuses or know where they are.

Now is a good time to learn.

Youtube - lots of short how to videos to use a meter, maybe even your brand. And short how to videos on how to check continuity.

This is a good start. Watch it, see the small glass tube with metal ends ? That is the kind of fuse you are looking for. Good practice to check every one you see in your game. Under playfield and in the backbox.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from sudbeckrn:

and how do you check fuses??

Remove from game or holder they are pushed into. See the video in the link I provided.

#8 4 years ago

Thanks!!
    just purchased a multi meter last week, now I can put it to good use already.

#9 4 years ago

In case you haven't found it. Here is a pic from ipdb.org. The guys thumb is touching the fuse holder for the flippers. If blown, check the manual for proper size replacement fuse. And it may blow again. At least until your new parts are installed.

image-7 (resized).jpgimage-7 (resized).jpg
    #10 4 years ago

Also note whether the fuse is a slow blow before you replace it so you have it correct.

#11 4 years ago

I looked under the play field and couldn’t find any fuses (I’ll look one more time to make sure)
    I attached pics of the fuses in the back box
    If anyone is familiar with Road Kings System 11 game and know which fuse works the flippers
    Please let me know
    The manual didn’t tell me or I don’t know what I’m reading
    Thanks for the help

068EC2FE-468F-4B54-B33F-A38F13A9AD30 (resized).jpeg068EC2FE-468F-4B54-B33F-A38F13A9AD30 (resized).jpeg3F75398B-62B0-430A-B424-44DBB28CD0FB (resized).jpeg3F75398B-62B0-430A-B424-44DBB28CD0FB (resized).jpegB699A81E-2527-4D99-86F6-B44CFE371308 (resized).jpegB699A81E-2527-4D99-86F6-B44CFE371308 (resized).jpeg
    #12 4 years ago

See your top pic? There's the flipper fuse, helpfully labeled "50v flipper power"

#13 4 years ago
    IMG_20191117_140656 (resized).jpgIMG_20191117_140656 (resized).jpg
    #14 4 years ago

That is the flipper board I was talking about, fuse in middle of the board. Test or replace it, but you will still need to figure out why it blew in the first place.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from sudbeckrn:

not only was the left flipper weak, the coil would get hot after playing a few games

This because of a dirty and miss adjusted EOS switch. And this is why the fuse is burnt.

#16 4 years ago

That's probably why it went out, I put a new EOS on my left flipper (the weak one) without really adjusting it much (still didn't fix the weak flipper issue, getting a whole new assembly this week). Also messed with the cabinet switch on the left flipper side as well with a needle nose, adjusted it to be closer together. I bet a combination of this blew the fuse

does anyone have advice or what to do when I am adjusting a EOS and cabinet switch so I don't blow another fuse?

Not sure how to do it correctly, I just installed one and let it fly, obviously that didn't work out so well!! LOL

Thanks for helping a newbie to the pinball world!

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from sudbeckrn:

Not sure how to do it correctly, I just installed one and let it fly, obviously that didn't work out so well!! LOL

Most people believe that a EOS switch can just be screwed in place and your done, not so. Most times there is a coating on the contacts that needs to be cleaned off. Secondly there are spacers installed in between the blades to keep the contacts closed, but is there enough tension holding them closed for good electrical contact. Both of these issues make for a weak flipper. Now when the flipper is in the up position you need to adjust the EOS switch to have a 1/8 inch gap. If this is too small the coil will get hot and the fuse can burn. If this gap is too big the flipper will be weak also. If you change this adjustment you need to recheck the other adjustment. You only adjust the single blade contact, not the blade with the stiffener. You also need to make sure the the contacts meet each other squarely both vertically and horizontally so that they can pass current across the whole surface of the contacts.

#18 4 years ago

what do you use to clean the coating off a new EOS??

#19 4 years ago

I've learned the hard way to always clean the coating off of all new switch contacts (EOS, flipper buttons, pop bumpers etc). I use a 3/4" wide x 4" long strip of 600 grit sandpaper folded in half (so there's sandpaper on both sides). Hold the switch contacts closed with the sandpaper between them and drag the sandpaper strip a few inches. Do this once or twice and it should be good. Check for continuity with the mulitmeter afterwards to confirm good contact.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/more-flipper-help-please- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.