comixzone_011.jpg
cabinet.png
Screenshot_2015-12-01_12.20.26.png
spider-man.jpg
jj.png
images.jpg
kcar_woody.jpg
Matchbox.jpg
There are 268 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.
#151 8 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Rolling Stones...it is a test cabinet

I know, hence the rbion next to it, but never really looked at a stones so was new to me. Thanks for the info.

#152 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Once again - almost everything in Stern's original Spider-Man game - art, DMD clips, audio, logos - is from Sony's Spider-Man movie style guide. Stern's re-theming the game to Marvel comic theme - so anything from the original is GONE. Legally they cannot use any movie assets, story, audio. In theory they could keep J.K. Simmons as he's done Spidey cartoon voices...and David Thiel's music was original, so there's a chance they'd keep that.

If they have the license Stern can re-issue the original game. If it's true to what you are saying, the whole game will be changed, cabinet art too and I just don't see them spending that much time on a VE. I guess we'll see soon enough.

#154 8 years ago

How many trim levels would a comic version come in?

#155 8 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

If they have the license Stern can re-issue the original game. If it's true to what you are saying, the whole game will be changed, cabinet art too and I just don't see them spending that much time on a VE. I guess we'll see soon enough.

You're wrong. The license is long expired and the "re-skinned" game is a done deal.

The original movie trilogy is dated & rebooted already. The reboot is being rebooted. Sony isn't licensing the original trilogy for product anymore. However, Stern can easily licence comic book or cartoon Spidey from Marvel/Disney.

Redoing an art package isn't that difficult. Stern does multiple art packages for every game now. The hardest part of pinball is design and coding.

#156 8 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I just don't see them spending that much time on a VE.

Where is this notion that it's a "VE" coming from? Have you seen an announcement from Stern?

Just because they did it with Iron Man doesn't mean anything. If they want to try and sell their superhero pins with rethemes why not?

#157 8 years ago

Doesn't Shrek and Family Guy have the same playfield?

Note: I've never played either machine.

#158 8 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Yup. You can even run either code on either machine and play Shreky Guy.

#159 8 years ago

Someone told me that the Family Guy sales were so bad they rethemed it to offer a Shrek version in about a month. If that's true it shows how fast a team of skilled people can generate new dots, audio, and art. Imagine if they've had a year or more for a Spidey retheme. I just hope it ends up being love it or hate it - - I don't want to be torn on buying this title.

#160 8 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

I just hope it ends up being love it or hate it - - I don't want to be torn on buying this title.

The layout and rules are already fantastic. They'd have to really stuff up the art and dots to ruin it. The current art and dots are OK - would be hard to imagine a comic book re-theme could be worse.

#161 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

The layout and rules are already fantastic. They'd have to really stuff up the art and dots to ruin it. The current art and dots are OK - would be hard to imagine a comic book re-theme could be worse.

And the worst part of the dots right now are the movie rips. They are gone for sure so all good.

#162 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

And the worst part of the dots right now are the movie rips. They are gone for sure so all good.

I didn't mind the dots on SM. Be interesting to see if they come out looking like ST type animation...wouldn't call that an improvment

#163 8 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Someone told me that the Family Guy sales were so bad they rethemed it to offer a Shrek version in about a month. If that's true it shows how fast a team of skilled people can generate new dots, audio, and art. Imagine if they've had a year or more for a Spidey retheme. I just hope it ends up being love it or hate it - - I don't want to be torn on buying this title.

FG didn't sell as well as expected within the first few months so they made Shrek to use the remaining parts. However while that process was happening, FG's popularity and demand increased - and the game remained in production for the entirety of its 3 year license, ultimately selling more than Shrek.

#164 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I didn't mind the dots on SM. Be interesting to see if they come out looking like ST type animation...wouldn't call that an improvment

Me neither. But if they came out like Metallica or TWD I would.

#165 8 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Trust me you're not missing much.

#166 8 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Yeah, nah just Lawlor's best Stern with excellent Keith Johnson rules.

#167 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yeah, nah just Lawlor's best Stern ...

Simmer down now.

#168 8 years ago

Mediocre at best...one of Lawlor's few misses. The mini pf, the pop placement..WTF?

#169 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Simmer down now.

Yep cause we know his best Stern was RBION.

#170 8 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Yep cause we know his best Stern was RBION.

Preach it!

#171 8 years ago

I hope it does get a comic re-theme, I'm all in for new art and dots. If it's not NIB then I'll get a older SM, either way this pin is the next one I'm getting.

#172 8 years ago

Looking forward to this. Hoping for art/sounds/dots from the classic Spiderman TV series from 67-70.

#173 8 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyd044:

Looking forward to this. Hoping for art/sounds/dots from the classic spiderman TV series from 67-70.

Will never happen. That series is dated and irrelevant compared to where Spidey art has come.

#174 8 years ago

I know it won't happen but it would be cool with spike and color display.

#175 8 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Boo....I love my FGY...a fun pin...

#176 8 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyd044:

Looking forward to this. Hoping for art/sounds/dots from the classic spiderman TV series from 67-70.

Actually I'm really hoping they use the Spider Man from the Angry Video Game Nerd.

#177 8 years ago

Shut your filthy mouths about FGY

#178 8 years ago

Now I can oly hope they reissue the dark knight rethemed to 1966 batman.

Screenshot_2015-12-01-22-12-51.pngScreenshot_2015-12-01-22-12-51.png

#179 8 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Quoted from Rarehero:

Yeah, nah just Lawlor's best Stern with excellent Keith Johnson rules.

You picked on the wrong "avatar" kvan99....

#180 8 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

I know it won't happen but it would be cool with spike and color display.

If Spider-Man was going to be Spike & Color Footage - there are like 20 Spider-Man series that have happened since with much better art and animation to use.

#181 8 years ago

Here's a question. Could this game be put on spike? New dots, new call outs, new sound effects(?)....just a thought.

I will say, that the game does spark my interest. I like the Toby spider-man, just not the biggest fan.

#182 8 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Here's a question. Could this game be put on spike? New dots, new call outs, new sound effects(?)....just a thought.
I will say, that the game does spark my interest. I like the Toby Spider-Man, just not the biggest fan.

Not according to George Gomez...same platform as the original release.

#183 8 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

The wiring board pics looked to be for Sam wiring.

#184 8 years ago

Stern should just reveal it already, the secret is already out of the bag.

#185 8 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I hope it does get a comic re-theme, I'm all in for new art and dots. If it's not NIB then I'll get a older SM, either way this pin is the next one I'm getting.

Plenty of HUO SM's out there and most likely to be a flood of them after the comic version comes out. You should have no issues finding one.

#186 8 years ago

VEs sell a couple of hundred games. This is not a VE. It is a re-theme of a very good game with (hopefully) very cool comic book artwork and all new dots, sounds, etc. Done right this game will sell 1000+ easily. Well worth the minimal effort to completely remove all the movie IP from the machine and replace it with comic book stuff. I've been dying to see it ever since before this thread started and the wait is almost over.

#187 8 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Now I can oly hope they reissue the dark knight rethemed to 1966 batman.

Screenshot_2015-12-01-22-12-51.png

It will go next to WoZ then.

#188 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

VEs sell a couple of hundred games. This is not a VE. It is a re-theme of a very good game with (hopefully) very cool comic book artwork and all new dots, sounds, etc. Done right this game will sell 1000+ easily. Well worth the minimal effort to completely remove all the movie IP from the machine and replace it with comic book stuff. I've been dying to see it ever since before this thread started and the wait is almost over.

I agree with you on the demand if done right but it's still a VE. The same layout, rules, lights etc...art and dots are not enough to call it a new game.

#189 8 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Stern should just reveal it already, the secret is already out of the bag.

I disagree. I hope they sit on it until it's ready.

It really pains me to spend so much on a toy, so if I am really considering Ghostbusters I want it to be solid and awesome right out of the gate. Anything less and I just can't put up that kind of money on a gamble.

#190 8 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I agree with you on the demand if done right but it's still a VE. The same layout, rules, lights etc...art and dots are not enough to call it a new game.

is shrek the same game as FG for you?

#191 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

is shrek the same game as FG for you?

Yeah, not to mention NFL is considered a different game than Striker Xtreme.

#192 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I disagree. I hope they sit on it until it's ready.
It really pains me to spend so much on a toy, so if I am really considering Ghostbusters I want it to be solid and awesome right out of the gate. Anything less and I just can't put up that kind of money on a gamble.

Stern really gives no reason to buy right away. They seem to pump out games until demand goes away. I'd just wait and see and pull the trigger when the time is right.

#193 8 years ago

Good point. If the new game is released with new toys, dots and music then you will be correct. If only reskined with actors faces removed then no. Think about it sandman, Doc Ock will all still be there because they are marvel properties.

#194 8 years ago

So is all the voice work being redone?

#195 8 years ago

without thinking of the comic version as being a "vault edition", along with the previous x-men machine, this could really open up the door for stern and moving forward, a 3-pronged approach for their future pinball title development:

music, comic and movie pinballs

#196 8 years ago

The whole remake effort doesn't sit all that well with me. While it's a great money maker short term, remakes don't do much to extend the longevity of the hobby. What would draw more enthusiasm from new and old players, SM VE or GoT? SM VE would be a very short term draw to play on location, but in the end it's the same exact game that has been around for 8 years, and it's not even addressing aftermarket pricing gaps like MMr and IM did... just a cash grab, pulling time and money from new titles. If their new titles aren't selling well enough to keep their lines busy otherwise, they have other business issues to deal with.

#197 8 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

just a cash grab, pulling time and money from new titles.

Or, since 95% of the game is complete, freeing up programming/dev time for other games/new systems, and providing cash for new tech by keeping the line running

#198 8 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

3-pronged approach for their future pinball title development:
music, comic and movie pinballs

That's actually just 2-pronged. Movie pins mainly use infantile comic themes these days.

The current 3-pronged approach is: music, superheroes & tv-shows.

#199 8 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

That's actually just 2-pronged. Movie pins mainly use infantile comic themes these days.
The current 3-pronged approach is: music, superheroes & tv-shows.

It's a one pronged approach of "Anything a 50 year old geek with $6000 might be into".

#200 8 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

The whole remake effort doesn't sit all that well with me. While it's a great money maker short term, remakes don't do much to extend the longevity of the hobby. What would draw more enthusiasm from new and old players, SM VE or GoT? SM VE would be a very short term draw to play on location, but in the end it's the same exact game that has been around for 8 years,

Not everyone who is in the hobby has been around for 8 years, or have even played or seen a Spiderman. A new release, comic book based, has already generated interest (see this thread and others). Stern is also continuing to release new titles (just did GoT, Ghostbusters is rumored as soon), so I don't see the problem. It may also be possible that they wouldn't be able to release the old Spiderman on their upcoming pinball arcade app due to licensing issues with Sony, maybe they can release the new Spiderman on it and drive even more interest. Could be a positive thing.

As well if they are re-doing the art, dots and sounds it isn't the exact same game. I have zero interest in owning the current Spiderman as the movies just don't do it for me, and the movie based theme is dated. Comic book art? That interests me a lot more.

Quoted from Baiter:

just a cash grab, pulling time and money from new titles. If their new titles aren't selling well enough to keep their lines busy otherwise, they have other business issues to deal with.

Well, yeah, it is a cash grab, they are a business. If they can make good profit by doing the remake, then why wouldn't they? Much lower cost to get it going then a whole new machine, and they have something else they can put on the lines. As for keeping the lines busy, they just doubled their production capacity. Filling that up keeps the business going. Not every new title is going to be a huge seller.

There is also no evidence that it taken time or money from new titles. GoT is out, Ghostbusters is rumored to be soon, they still have multiple other pins still in production.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saint Johns, MI
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 25.50
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.95
Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 268 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/more-evidence-of-spiderman-ve/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.