(Topic ID: 317491)

More Elwin 'Drama' - Does Keith Hate Multiball Stacking?

By blueberryjohnson

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

shock.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blueberryjohnson.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

I was checking out Toy Story 4 gameplay footage from Buffalo Pinball. And for whatever reason, when Kevin had Buzz multiball going and started Gabby multiball, the thought occurred to me, "Does Elwin never allow multiball stacking in his games?"

I immediately answered my own question (yes), realizing the game of his I know least well (Avengers) allows it in at least one case (modes with portal locked balls + thor or iron man mb). Do any of the others?

Off the top of my head, I don't believe they do (though I'm not 100% on every game):

Iron Maiden:
Can't combine trooper and mummy (to the point that if you set up both such that they could start with a single shot, it starts a 4-ball trooper instead). Can't stack either of those with Aces or Rime. Cyborg can't be started until modes and multiballs are done. Believe the same for Beast and Hills.

Jurassic Park:
Can't combine T-Rex or Raptor. Nor Chaos, right? I don't believe believe you can stack in mini-wizard modes either (King of Island, Visitor Center). Is there anything else? I haven't played this regularly in years or on latest code.

Godzilla: Can't combine bridge, tank, godzilla, monster zero, terror, or planet x.

Did I miss any obvious cases? Edge cases? Either way, for a designer of four games with a lot of multiballs across them and very limited multiball stacking, it seems like a clear rules design decision if not general philosophy. I've heard discussion from time to time about what characteristics make a Keith game a Keith game, but don't recall anyone ever mentioning this.

Lots of other games allow multiball stacking and lots do not. In some that do, it can be a key strategy (TWD and BSD are two off the top of my head that come to mind). Wondering if this has occurred to anyone else before about Keith's game or any thoughts about it now if not.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from zacaj:

How is this 'drama'?

It's not. I was joking.

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Pretty sure you can do some multiball stacking in Batman '66 if you set it up right. Shame and Villain Escape and/or maybe minor Villain mini-wizard modes with Escape? Not 100% positive, but I seem to remember doing that.
Star Wars offers a lot of multiball stacking. Hyperspace + Tie Fighter and/or any one of the mini-wizards.
Black Knight SOR...I'm only a lowly pro guy so not worthy of catapult multiball, but I'm pretty sure on the prem/LE you can stack that with Triple Knight?
That said, mode stacking, especially multiball stacking, is a delicate thing. When it works well it can be pretty cool, but many games unfortunately can get kind of sloppy and hard to follow. I would imagine figuring out what should and shouldn't stack and how to handle it cleanly is a big challenge.

Totally agree. I think defaulting to allow most any multiball to stack usually creates a mess.

Realizing with Elwin it's nearly to the other side of the spectrum was kind of a "huh, that's interesting moment" for me.

Reflecting further, I think a sweet spot is generally when it is a challenge to set up the conditions to be able to add a second multiball to a first, such that when you do it creates an excitement moment, adds significant value, but isn't gamebreaking. Thinking through the Elwin games, I would say that we've yet to see that (except perhaps the Jurassic Park edge case).

Some of the Lyman examples are good representations of this. Maybe we'll something like this from Keith in a future game. I love his games/rules, so it's not like they are lacking for typically preventing multiball stacks. But it could be interesting, and I'd be curious to see how what kind of execution he'd cook up because I bet it would be cool.

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Clearly the GOAT ain't a fan of stacking, but you said it yourself: Avengers allows it. It's not exactly a traditional stack but you can certainly start a 2-3 portal/mode multiball, and then use that to bring in a "real" multiball like Thor or Tower. So clearly it's not a hard and fast rule in GOATtown.
I would say this answers your question: He doesn't "hate" stacking, or it wouldn't exist in Avengers, but he's clearly not inclined to multiball stacking rules.

Yeah, I answered the silly subject line question of thread. The rest of the content was what motivated and the post and I actually find interesting.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
15,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 2.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Chrome Candy

$ 32.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 14.95
$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Discos Pinball Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blueberryjohnson.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/more-elwin-drama-does-keith-hate-multiball-stacking?tu=blueberryjohnson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.