(Topic ID: 129513)

More Cryptic Messages from Stern's Facebook

By Pahuffman

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2015-06-05 17_55_31-.jpg
    Stern Art.jpg
    Stern Robots.jpg
    Stern Geeks.jpg
    Stern Strange.jpg
    Stern ABC.jpg
    Stern Marvel.png
    Stern Eggs.jpg
    81990-i.jpg
    01jaws.jpg
    free_candy.jpg
    Capture.JPG
    Rubik's_cube.svg.png
    11312717_10153345088929244_3755698981527677691_o.jpg
    11406117_10153345089019244_4406029722343800663_o.jpg
    11415517_10153345087904244_1292106491951471556_o.jpg
    There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 years ago

From their Facebook page:

QUICK! SCREEN SHOT THIS POST BEFORE MANAGEMENT DELETES! This morning the Marketing Department invaded the secret Product Development Department at Stern Pinball. This is where they develop/plan/design all the upcoming titles. The word is that they have a plan for games 4-6+ titles from now...

Before we were kicked out, we were able to snag these secret photos of some papers on a desk. Not sure what they mean. Maybe you can figure it out. Make sure you save them in case this post is deleted by the authority! Good luck! -J&J

11406117_10153345089019244_4406029722343800663_o.jpg11406117_10153345089019244_4406029722343800663_o.jpg 11415517_10153345087904244_1292106491951471556_o.jpg11415517_10153345087904244_1292106491951471556_o.jpg
    #2 8 years ago
    11312717_10153345088929244_3755698981527677691_o.jpg11312717_10153345088929244_3755698981527677691_o.jpg
    #3 8 years ago

loops and iterators. writing code is not so fun.

#4 8 years ago

Seems like the only hint is "Start Your Battle!"

#5 8 years ago

Jared is trolling us!!! It will be my little pony and we will all look bad

#6 8 years ago

That paper is old. This is previous documentation of a game they are redoing I bet.

Looking at the score array (assuming) it's a high scoring game.

What pins do you battle on? PotC? Avatar? Transformers? Maybe a Data East game?

#7 8 years ago

It is meant to look like GOT but is Terminator. This is going to be such a disappointment.

#8 8 years ago

The increased public-facing activity by Stern is certainly an improvement, but the pandering throughout much of it is pathetic and embarrassing.

#9 8 years ago

I think it's It's LOTR VE

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from Blackjacker:

The increased public-facing activity by Stern is certainly an improvement, but the pandering throughout much of it is pathetic and embarrassing.

I tend to agree, but look at their stats! The increase in folks following their page is really pretty impressive.

#11 8 years ago

Here's why I think so. Found this rule sheet.

"Six modes are listed on the plastic surrounding the center Ring, two from
    each of the three movies. "

"Hitting either flipper will change the currently
    selected mode."

Code says flippers select next mode

"If Mode Start is lit on the center shot (from three Elf
    rings), shooting the Ring starts the currently selected mode. "

"The game will hold the ball in the Ring while the mode intro is displayed, although
    occasionally the ball will escape and fall onto the playfield during the
    intro. Any mode intro can be aborted by the flippers."

The code says it disables the ball search while in mode select (likey more games that do this though)

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from NextoPin:

I think it's It's LOTR VE

I say bring it on! I just bought an LE for cheaper than a NIB Pro, so at this point, a LOTR VE means nothing to me.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from NextoPin:

Here's why I think so. Found this rule sheet.
    "Six modes are listed on the plastic surrounding the center Ring, two from
    each of the three movies. "
    "Hitting either flipper will change the currently
    selected mode."
    Code says flippers select next mode
    "If Mode Start is lit on the center shot (from three Elf
    rings), shooting the Ring starts the currently selected mode. "
    "The game will hold the ball in the Ring while the mode intro is displayed, although
    occasionally the ball will escape and fall onto the playfield during the
    intro. Any mode intro can be aborted by the flippers."
    The code says it disables the ball search while in mode select (likey more games that do this though)

It seems to me like this code indicates that there is a specific mode select screen, as there's a timer and ball search is off. In LOTR mode selection just occurs during regular gameplay, so ball search would be on and it would not be timed.

#14 8 years ago

He's pulling the parts in quotes from whatever "rule sheet" he is reading...so basically, he's saying it's LOTR based solely on the fact that the flipper buttons select a mode and that the game is presumably holding the ball and not doing a ball search while starting a mode?

That could be almost anything just based on those snippets alone.

MET Crank it up
    AC/DC song choice
    KISS song choice
    X-Men villians modes

And so on. If this is related to a game re-release, you'd have to index the games that have mode starts that work in this way against the scoring table for the modes on the game and see what's got something that lines up with that scoring table values above.

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

He's pulling the parts in quotes from whatever "rule sheet" he is reading...so basically, he's saying it's LOTR based solely on the fact that the flipper buttons select a mode and that the game is presumably holding the ball and not doing a ball search while starting a mode?
    That could be almost anything just based on those snippets alone.
    MET Crank it up
    AC/DC song choice
    KISS song choice
    X-Men villians modes
    And so on. If this is related to a game re-release, you'd have to index the games that have mode starts that work in this way against the scoring table for the modes on the game and see what's got something that lines up with that scoring table values above.

No, not solely on the fact that the flipper buttons select the mode.

It defines the mode as choosing a battle. Isn't the ball in the ring when you select the mode? I haven't played alot of LoTR, I was just looking for rules where the modes were called Battles.

I am not saying it is LotR, I'm saying my guess is, or I THINK is could be LotR. and with Hobbit coming out it would be a smart move to release a LotR VE around the same time.

#16 8 years ago

Seems like the 'ChooseYourBattleLit' would be important to pay attention to.

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Seems like the 'ChooseYourBattleLit' would be important to pay attention to.

Yeah. My immediate thought was actually X-Men. The only older Stern that I can remember with mode selects based around battles would be the villain battle selection in X-Men.

#18 8 years ago

I think this is just the code from Star Trek if you're selecting a mode it turns off ball search. Choose your battle is just what they're calling a mode.

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from NextoPin:

Isn't the ball in the ring when you select the mode?

No. The ring shot activates the selected mode. The next mode is constantly changing every time you hit a flipper button. The only way to select it is to trap the ball on one flipper, stage the mode on the other (accounting for the flipper shot), then hit the ring. There is no ball saver to pause or ChooseYourBattle to light.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinCrush:

No. The ring shot activates the selected mode. The next mode is constantly changing every time you hit a flipper button. The only way to select it is to trap the ball on one flipper, stage the mode on the other (accounting for the flipper shot), then hit the ring. There is no ball saver to pause or ChooseYourBattle to light.

Thanks for that, Like I said, I don't know the game that well.

What other games have a light that that indicates you should select a mode and also has a timer while selecting the mode with the flippers?

#22 8 years ago

It could be anything. The code is so abstracted, there aren't too many solid hints in it.

Rubik's_cube.svg.pngRubik's_cube.svg.png
    #23 8 years ago

Getting ready to announce the AFM remake

#24 8 years ago

Using my best CSI skills learned from hours of watching TV, the paper is aged on one side, was likely in a folder and not a binder (no holes). Because only the edge is aged I suspect that the file cabinet drawer was very full thus preventing air from getting to the rest of the paper.

It was printed on a laser printer and not a dot matrix, that puts it maybe post 1990.

It was printed on a Tuesday by a man wearing a fedora. The file cabinet was Olive Green and wobbled slightly due to a misaligned foot on the bottom.

That's all I got.

#25 8 years ago

Capture.JPGCapture.JPG

Mad Max???

#26 8 years ago

as others have stated, the real clue here is the "isChooseYourBattleLit()" function. Obviously a function that returns a boolean whether a certain insert (or feature, at least) is lit.

As a coder myself, i don't think they'd call a function "isChooseYourBattleLit()" if the feature or insert referenced wasn't actually called "Choose Your Battle" (or at least was called that at some point in development). I don't think it'd be used for picking a song or choosing what is in-game called a mission, for example. This looks like professional, precise code. the coder isn't just making up nicknames for things here. Sure, i've seen functions named checkTheImportantThingy() before, but this does not look like that kind of code base.

I don't know Sterns all that well unfortunately, but i'm not aware of any potential Vault candidates that have a feature or insert named "choose your battle".

#27 8 years ago
    Quoted from NextoPin:

Using my best CSI skills learned from hours of watching TV, the paper is aged on one side, was likely in a folder and not a binder (no holes). Because only the edge is aged I suspect that the file cabinet drawer was very full thus preventing air from getting to the rest of the paper.
    It was printed on a laser printer and not a dot matrix, that puts it maybe post 1990.

ok, but why would someone print out source code, let alone store it in a cabinet long enough to age? i kinda think this stuff was printed out specifically for the photo op. but i dont know, you are right that the pages do look aged.

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

ok, but why would someone print out source code, let alone store it in a cabinet long enough to age? i kinda think this stuff was printed out specifically for the photo op. but i dont know, you are right that the pages do look aged.

It was absolutely put out for the photo op. There is 0% chance this is "accidental" or "sneaky".

It's like I said in the other thread...This Facebook "secret" shit is already getting ridiculous. Jared made the comments in the C2C episode about how he wants to use these secret clues not just to communicate clues about the next titles, but just clues about what's going on in his head and at Stern in general. That sort of stuff probably works amazingly well in some industries, but I don't feel like it translates to Pinball very well. It almost feels forced, like a cry for attention or something.

#29 8 years ago

Nah, they're just still using blank printer paper from the Data East days...it's a fresh print.

#30 8 years ago

Game of Thrones.

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from nicoga3000:

I don't feel like it translates to Pinball very well.

You don't think? It's already worked on you and everyone in this thread. We're sitting here TALKING ABOUT STERN. Mission accomplished.

The paper is definitely aged. My money's on a remake.

#32 8 years ago
    Quoted from nicoga3000:

It was absolutely put out for the photo op. There is 0% chance this is "accidental" or "sneaky".

Seriously...you almost can't blame Stern for doing it though since people fall for it again & again. I remember 10+ years ago when my buddy was arguing with me that he thought bangbus was real.

#33 8 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

ok, but why would someone print out source code, let alone store it in a cabinet long enough to age?

When Williams bought Bally they got a file cabinet with all the game code done to that point printed out, plus the 8" floppies.

It's actually a very good idea to maintain a hard copy in human-readable format, since digital storage mediums are constantly changing.

#34 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pahuffman:

You don't think? It's already worked on you and everyone in this thread. We're sitting here TALKING ABOUT STERN. Mission accomplished.
    The paper is definitely aged. My money's on a remake.

I should rephrase that - it gets us talking about Stern, sure. But almost as soon as they started putting these "cryptic rumor posts" out there, I wrote them off. Sure, I'll comment here and there, but it's just social media viral marketing. It works on those who let it work on them.

You don't see leaks in the pinball world like you do the videogame world, and that's sort of how I've come to my conclusion that these fake "leaks" and "clues" are exactly that - fake posts designed to get people rumbling.

I could be wrong, and I'd LOVE to be wrong in this case...But I refuse to sit around and think long and hard about what game or production is coming out of Stern when we all know damn well that Stern won't let a single iota of information out that isn't approved by Gary himself.

#35 8 years ago
    Quoted from nicoga3000:

I should rephrase that - it gets us talking about Stern, sure. But almost as soon as they started putting these "cryptic rumor posts" out there, I wrote them off. Sure, I'll comment here and there, but it's just social media viral marketing. It works on those who let it work on them.
    You don't see leaks in the pinball world like you do the videogame world, and that's sort of how I've come to my conclusion that these fake "leaks" and "clues" are exactly that - fake posts designed to get people rumbling.
    I could be wrong, and I'd LOVE to be wrong in this case...But I refuse to sit around and think long and hard about what game or production is coming out of Stern when we all know damn well that Stern won't let a single iota of information out that isn't approved by Gary himself.

I'm not sure anyone is thinking this is a real leak. It's all for fun. It may contain REAL clues, though.

#36 8 years ago

Oh dear.

free_candy.jpgfree_candy.jpg

#37 8 years ago

Trudeau chimes in on one of the posts as well - maybe its his next game.

#38 8 years ago

With this "Battle" hint and listening to Jared and Jody on Coast2Coast pinball, their intro to the interview was an LOTR soundbite. Could it be!?

#39 8 years ago
    Quoted from RogerKlotz27:

With this "Battle" hint and listening to Jared on Coast2Coast pinball, his intro to his interview episode was an LOTR soundbite. Could it be!?

No, battle with the dinosaurs. Jurassic World. No one gets out alive.

LTG : )™

#40 8 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

No, battle with the dinosaurs. Jurassic World. No one gets out alive.
    LTG : )™

No, battle with the Shark. JAWS. No one gets out alive.
    mrclean : )™
    01jaws.jpg01jaws.jpg

#41 8 years ago
    Quoted from nicoga3000:

like a cry for attention or something.

well, you have to consider the source

Quoted from TheLaw:

my buddy was arguing with me that he thought bangbus was real.

let a guy dream will ya...

#42 8 years ago

Nah it's gonna be the Pinball Pre Order Battle Royale pin where you can pick between battling guys like J-pop, Bumper Action, Kevin and all the other shady companies around these days.

#43 8 years ago

GUYS, they just posted this:

‟Stern Pinball Hires New Video Artists!”

Video? LCD is coming. I can feel it.

#44 8 years ago

Stern Pinball Hires New Video Artists!
    Chuck Ernst and Zac Stark Join the Game Design Studio
    Elk Grove Village, IL – June 4, 2015 – Stern Pinball, Inc., the world’s leading maker of real pinball games, today announced the hiring of two new team members who will join the company’s rapidly growing game design team.
    Chuck Ernst joins the Stern Pinball Game Design Studio as the Computer Graphics Art Director. Chuck brings 28 years of video game production experience. He has worked on programming and art creation for more than 45 titles for Atari, Sega, THQ, Konami, Midway and WB Games. Prior to joining Stern Pinball, Chuck was Technical Character Design Lead on “Mortal Kombat X” at Nether Realm Studios in Chicago. In his spare time Chuck enjoys sculpting, freelance toy prototyping and design.
    The Stern Pinball Game Design Studio also welcomes veteran computer graphics artist Zac Stark. After receiving his Master of Arts degree in 3D Animation from DePaul University, Zac created digital animations for numerous Mattel handheld toys. Most recently, Zac’s work focused on creating virtual versions of Ty Toys and MGA Toys for use in web-based games. In his spare time Zac also teaches 3D Modeling and Animation as a part time instructor at Sanford-Brown College.
    “We are delighted to have these two talented artists join our studio,” said George Gomez, EVP of Game Development. “They will help us continue to advance pinball both technologically and through game play enhancements.”
    About Stern Pinball, Inc.
    Stern Pinball, Inc., headquartered just outside Chicago, Illinois, is the oldest and largest producer of arcade-quality pinball games in the world. Stern Pinball’s highly talented creative and technical teams design, engineer and manufacture a full line of popular pinball games, merchandise and accessories. Recent Stern Pinball titles include KISS, WWE WrestleMania, The Walking Dead, Ford Mustang, Star Trek, Metallica, The Avengers, X-Men, AC/DC, Tron, Transformers, Avatar, Iron Man, Batman, and Spiderman. A broad range of players enjoy Stern Pinball’s games from professional pinball players who compete in high-stakes international competitions around the globe to novice players who are discovering the allure of the silver ball for the first time. To join the fun and learn more, please visit www.sternpinball.com.

#45 8 years ago

Look to be toy makers to me. Hope they also do display work as well.

#46 8 years ago

Oh wow. I would say hiring those guys is a STRONG indication that Stern is about to implement video into their games in some fashion. Jeez, if their next game is Game of Thrones by Steve Ritchie with an LCD ... They will be selling a lottttttt of pinball machines.

Quoted from GravitaR:

Look to be toy makers to me. Hope they also do display work as well.

One has been on 45 video game titles and the other has a masters in 3D animation. I think they can handle display work.

#47 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pahuffman:

Quoted from epthegeek:

Game of Thrones.

Coincidence?

#48 8 years ago

What looks like bigger scoring coming back from those numbers above sheets. Hate the low score stern format & JJ approach, bring back my millions

#49 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pahuffman:

Stern Pinball Hires New Video Artists!
    Elk Grove Village, IL – June 4, 2015 – Stern Pinball, Inc., the world’s leading maker of real pinball games, today announced the hiring of two new team members who will join the company’s rapidly growing game design team.
    Chuck Ernst joins the Stern Pinball Game Design Studio as the Computer Graphics Art Director. Chuck brings 28 years of video game production experience. He has worked on programming and art creation for more than 45 titles for Atari, Sega, THQ, Konami, Midway and WB Games. Prior to joining Stern Pinball, Chuck was Technical Character Design Lead on “Mortal Kombat X” at Nether Realm Studios in Chicago. In his spare time Chuck enjoys sculpting, freelance toy prototyping and design.
    The Stern Pinball Game Design Studio also welcomes veteran computer graphics artist Zac Stark. After receiving his Master of Arts degree in 3D Animation from DePaul University, Zac created digital animations for numerous Mattel handheld toys. Most recently, Zac’s work focused on creating virtual versions of Ty Toys and MGA Toys for use in web-based games. In his spare time Zac also teaches 3D Modeling and Animation as a part time instructor at Sanford-Brown College.
    “We are delighted to have these two talented artists join our studio,” said George Gomez, EVP of Game Development. “They will help us continue to advance pinball both technologically and through game play enhancements.”
    About Stern Pinball, Inc.
    Stern Pinball, Inc., headquartered just outside Chicago, Illinois, is the oldest and largest producer of arcade-quality pinball games in the world. Stern Pinball’s highly talented creative and technical teams design, engineer and manufacture a full line of popular pinball games, merchandise and accessories. Recent Stern Pinball titles include KISS, WWE WrestleMania, The Walking Dead, Ford Mustang, Star Trek, Metallica, The Avengers, X-Men, AC/DC, Tron, Transformers, Avatar, Iron Man, Batman, and spiderman. A broad range of players enjoy Stern Pinball’s games from professional pinball players who compete in high-stakes international competitions around the globe to novice players who are discovering the allure of the silver ball for the first time. To join the fun and learn more, please visit http://www.sternpinball.com.

sounds like Stern is gearing up for the LCD

#50 8 years ago

Boy, Jared and Jody are LOLing in their offices right now at you guys.

Jared - "haha lets get these old coding sheets and take a picture and put it on Facebook! Facebook is really neat!!"

Jody - "haha yeah good idea! Make sure they don't say anything specific!"

Jared - "haha we are marketing geniuses! This will get another front page thread on Pinside!! All publicity is great publicly! Gary is bound to give me a raise after only 2 weeks here!!"

Jody - "yes we are geniuses! Don't hold your breath for a raise though!"

$10 says that's exactly what happened.

rd.

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/more-cryptic-messages-from-sterns-facebook/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.