Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,867 posts
  • 1,037 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 hours ago by pevo
  • Topic is favorited by 243 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C9577C9A-5494-45D1-8E56-B8EAE5B3C998 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240416-205011_Facebook.jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_2019 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0302 (resized).png
    IMG_0303 (resized).png
    Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 9.02.43?AM (resized).png
    IMG_9140 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240330_081851_Facebook.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dan63.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2001 8 years ago

hey guys... I'm new to this forum well I haven't been on in awhile. How do you know what a fair price is for any pinball machine? Is there a guide or rule of thumb that you should follow? I love to play pinball, but don't know much more beyond that.

Thanks for your help,

Dan

#2004 8 years ago

I tried to post a thread but couldn't do it? I can respond to threads but can't post? It as though I don't have those options. I have "preview post", but not "send post"

1 week later
    #2064 8 years ago
    Quoted from Geocab:

Do you have this option on your screen?

Screenshot_2016-01-10-08-35-48-1_(resized).jpg

No I don't have that option? I wonder why?

#2065 8 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

First rule of thumb: If it shows up in this thread and we are laughing at it, then it is not a fair price.
    You can start a "Price Check" thread for any specific games you run across. Just remember that everyone has their own opinions. What's reasonable for some is not for others. Some sellers are way out in left field though. So they end up here getting laughed at....................

First I want to Thank all of you. I feel more comfortable knowing that you guys at least know something and won't steer me in the wrong direction. Unfortunately the best I can do is respond to threads and not start them? I guess buying a pinball machine also requires a great deal of patience and not to buy the first one you see if the price isn't justifiable for the condition and popularity of the machine. I never worked on pinball machines, but would love to know how to at least do some basic repairs and troubleshooting. Are there any good sources? I know this site would be one source perhaps Internet postings? Are there a lot of special types of tools required?

Thanks in advance and sorry for posting here, but I can't start a thread

Dan

#2069 8 years ago

From what I learned so far is that if you have a pinball machine and you put a lot of work into chances are you don't ever recoup what you have in it. So sometimes its best to just keep it or take a loss when you sell it, but than again it all depends what you paid for it right?

#2079 8 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Dan, the first question I would ask to you is what level of electronics knowledge and experience do you have? A lot of the pinball resources/repair sites assume you have a least a basic working knowledge of electronics (i.e. you know what the components are, have some idea of the terminology, know how to take measurements etc.) if you don't know some basic electronics, I'd recommend you get some education about that first. Online sources are o.k. but a professional course such as a vocational school would be better than muddling through learning the vast world of electronics on your own.
    As far as special tools go, you'll be able to do most work with the basic tools of electronics. More specific tools are outlined in some of the resources. For example, if you find you are interested in working on electromechanical pinball machines, tools like flex-files and contact cleaning files are indispensable.

I don't know anything about electronics whatsoever, so yes I am a newbie in the purest form, but at least I'm honest and sincere with my abilities or should I say lack there of. I agree this is something you really don't want to muddle through. I guess I can take a few courses, but I enjoy all your company...you guys are really a nice bunch and super cool!

As far as tools I do have some flex files, some T handle drivers and a solder station. My other hobbies include building rockets and nitro RC trucks so I would say I'm capable of learning at least some basic repairs and I work on computers as a career. I'm good with my hands so I would imagine that would help

#2090 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

One of the best introductory materials I've encountered is "Getting Started in Electronics"
    amazon.com link »
    It's not very thick, so it's fairly light reading.
    It goes through and explains the fundamentals of electricity, dives into the various common electronic components that are available, and more.

Looks like a great place to start. I think I'll order and get my feet wet or should I say my brain LOL

Thank you!

#2139 8 years ago

Now I see what you guys are talking about. Pretty crazy people out there wanting more what their stuff is worth. So glad I joined this forum before I got deeper into this hobby / past time. Any game that I find that I would like to buy I will consult with you guys. I feel like I have an "ace" in the hole.

#2140 8 years ago

This guy here is selling a bunch of pinball machines. Not sure if any of you seen the ad? I haven't checked all of the threads on the post. None of these interest me, but how far off on the price(s) is he?

orangecounty.craigslist.org link

#2141 8 years ago

I think this one deserves a laugh right? Bally Wizard $3400! I know its a business, but still isn't it a tad too high?

losangeles.craigslist.org link

#2143 8 years ago

I know Captain Fantastic has some differences with the rollovers, back glass, specials light cover and some escaped with signed signatures, but with all that how much does that increase the actual value of the machine?

#2145 8 years ago

So realistically a CF just an average game and everything works what would be fair asking price? Verses one with the uncesored back glass? I'm not going to ask the value of one with signatures because I seriously doubt I would come across one. As far as the different color rollovers etc that could easily be changed by the owner. I'm sure you can purchase the roll over and white specials cover?

#2147 8 years ago

$900 - 1000 maybe or slightly more or less for a CF if its a clean game maybe on a high side

#2150 8 years ago
    Quoted from n1teowl:

Hmmm, should I save up a five hundred dollars more for a NIB Game of Thrones Pro? Naww...I'm tired of waiting! I'm getting this instead!
    seattle.craigslist.org link

Or you can buy this KISS pinball for $5995

ventura.craigslist.org link

#2158 8 years ago
    Quoted from bhwolf:

This kind of stuff always cracks me up. Only $200 to be fully up and running? If you're asking such a ridiculous amount, then why not spend that and get it 'perfect'? I get that some people don't have the money, time, or desire to fix up a machine before selling, but as a buyer I'd assume the worst.
    Also, especially looking at the front coin door picture, hardly great condition.
    I wonder how many of these people actually sell machines at these prices??

None of them do, unless it's where two fools met? The one that is selling it and that one that bought it. Again where two fools met. LOL

#2159 8 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

this guy wants to trade some toys for pins...
    " target="_blank">losangeles.craigslist.org link
    00N0N_j7YkCf7g1E7_600x450_(resized).jpg
    Im looking to trade my he man and skelator with battlecat & panthor never been open original from early 80's for a pinball machine e-mail only

He's smoking crack or something...LOL

#2165 8 years ago

I know that this about Craigslist listings, but it seems for whatever reason I can't post a new thread like the rest of you and I talked to the webmaster and he can't figure it out so I am doomed I guess? Attached are some pictures of my Topcard Pinball. I've had it about 7 years now and really enjoy it. I actually bought a real Junker for around $200 and on the drive home I got a call from a friend of mine who was selling his Topcard, so yes I bought it. I took the best parts from both machines and made one and sold the other Junker and got my money back. I grew up on this game and always loved racking up the games. I love that knock. My favorite shot is trapping the ball on either flipper and shooting it to the opposite lane when "Specials" is lit and scoring two quick games. I always try to exchange the ball from flipper to the next trying to see how many times I can do it.

Anyway I have too much in it to sale it and I doubt I ever will. Too much meaning I had to pay someone to work on it when I first got it and of course it cost me over the time I had it, but it was worth it. I would like to eventfully learn how to make the repairs myself. The game isn't worth much as it is. I would say $500-600 maybe on a good day, but like I said I love playing so its worth it to me to hang on to it.

So my question to all of you is this? Should I invest in a full top to bottom restoration on the machine or just keep it well maintained and leave everything original condition? I wish I had some advance skills to do the work myself, but I don't which is why I would like to learn the basics.

What would a full restoration cost and what company would you guys suggest?

Again my apologies for posting here on this thread, but I don't have the access on my account to start a new thread. It seems I can only respond to existing threads.

Dan

PS: Whats wrong with the instructions on the game card? Do you see it?

20151031_132912_(resized).jpg20151031_132912_(resized).jpg
    20151031_133214_(resized).jpg20151031_133214_(resized).jpg
    20151031_133240_(resized).jpg20151031_133240_(resized).jpg
    20151031_132933_(resized).jpg20151031_132933_(resized).jpg
    20151031_133248_(resized).jpg20151031_133248_(resized).jpg
    20151031_133221_(resized).jpg20151031_133221_(resized).jpg
    20151031_133227_(resized).jpg20151031_133227_(resized).jpg

20151031_133203_(resized).jpg20151031_133203_(resized).jpg

#2170 8 years ago
    Quoted from 0geist0:

That playfield will clean up beautifully with a little magic eraser and a few coats of wax.
    No need to do a full blow restore.

Thanks!

#2179 8 years ago

Just an FYI I finally figured out how to post. "Add Topic" aka "Post"

#2189 8 years ago

The way I look at it they are stuck with them unless they find some fool to buy them. I agree if you are going to place an ad learn to spell. I think several of us should call the guy and offer him more money than what he's asking, but never show and see if he bumps the price just on the number of calls he got. LOL

#2196 8 years ago

Hey guys- you seen the pictures I posted of my Topcard game. In your honest opinion what would be a fair and reasonable price for it? I don't want to be one of these guys you laugh at on Craigslist.

#2242 8 years ago

I searched Pinball Lessons on Craigslist and found this ad? I thought it was funny. I don't know where Potter is at? I guess he offers references so he has some clients? LOL

amarillo.craigslist.org link

I'm offering pinball lessons to those who would like to improve their ability to play this fun yet at times difficult game. It takes a lot of concentration, but most of all you need the skills and agility like a monkey to be able to keep the ball in play and know the dynamics behind each shot and how the ball reacts within the realm of the playfield. Certain variables are in involved. I can teach you everything you need to know because for all practical purposes I am a pinball wizard. I have a list of references I can offer you so you can check my credentials and Howard Anderson who runs the local arcade and pinball hall in my town knows of my skill and ability. I do offer discounts to seniors and students between the ages of 18-24 because I know money is hard to come by. Again if you are interested in becoming a real wizard like Tommy you can be there very soon.

$35 for an hour or buy a block of 6 lesson for $100

Trades welcomed

BTW - I also wax the playfield of my pinball games. I have several here to play most electronics ones.

Randall
    •do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers

#2243 8 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

"Pimp my ride".
    Lettering non-special order from Michaels.
    Homey graffiti paint job included at no extra cost.

Too bad they don't have a program that covers restoring pinballs machines to their original condition. I think it would actually be pretty cool.

#2264 8 years ago
    Quoted from kirkgun:

This one has caused me to click a few times (I can never remember what it is from the title).
    Disappointed every time.
    I don't know why I should be disappointed, after all, it has all the bells and whistles. Really? All the whistles? Must be a good deal then.
    charlotte.craigslist.org link

How come I get a 404 error? Has the ad been removed?

#2266 8 years ago

Do you think the owners read the posts here and then remove them or are they flagged?

#2269 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Try deleting the jibberish after the ".htm" in the address.

I can see it now thanks!

#2309 8 years ago

I think aside from the fact that the sellers have no idea what their game is worth and ask a ridiculous amount, but I feel most of it has to do with their "sentimental" value the game has for them, which there is no value in sentimental value. I know there is a pinball blue book. I'm sure having the current edition handy when negotiating a price it might help. Just my two cents

#2324 8 years ago

I found this in my neck of the woods in Orange County, California

orangecounty.craigslist.org link

#2325 8 years ago
    #2335 8 years ago
    Quoted from bob_e:

Spirit of 76 Pinball Machine RARE - $1250 (Apple Valley)
    PRODUCTION 10,300 = SERIOUSLY RARE???
    minneapolis.craigslist.org link

So what would be a fair price. He's about an hour away from me

#2337 8 years ago

Isn't there another pinball machine that's similar but I think it has a bumper that pops up in between the flippers to keep the ball from draining. It's 76 something??

#2349 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mikala:

$6,000 Chicago Bears machine. Market price on this one must be up after that stellar season performance this year.
    chicago.craigslist.org link

Do you think he'd take $5500? Sometimes I like to offer these guys something close to their asking price and laugh when they turn it down. Or if they bit tell them you'll be right out to pick it up after you finish eating dinner.

#2355 8 years ago
    Quoted from bronco-jon:

This is a perfect example of why I can't stand to list stuff on CL. You get these clowns who don't have a nickel to their name and couldn't come get it if you offered it below it's value........Lots of dreamers on CL.....buyers and sellers. ....I really don't see anything funny about the Bears pin, either you want it or you don't! PERIOD!

Don't get your panties in a twist...gezzz some people have no sense of humor

#2384 8 years ago
    Quoted from 3rdaxis:

Wow, hahaha i had to message this guy.
    "Is this listing a joke or some kind of scam? Do you have any actual pictures of this item? And i hate to burst your bubble but $3535 is the most that this machine has ever sold for on Ebay. Its not hard to find. The average price is $1500. lol Am i missing something here? Was this signed by a cast member that had died? lol"
    Curious to see what he says if anything.

That's what I thought was it signed and even if so it would never in a million years be worth anything near 100k

#2394 8 years ago

The problem with these guys pricing their pinball is they see one person put up a ridiculous price on a machine and they feel that they can get the same price for theirs because its some what similar. None of them know nothing about the true value of the game.

2 years later
    #5746 5 years ago

Hey guys

Hope all is well with everyone. Just wanted to chime in and ask for advice. I know a lot of the games we see on Craigslist are ridiculous of course. I know there is a Blue Book on pinball machines that list their values. And I've seen this book and not sure if the questions I'm asking are in the blue book. It's been awhile since I opened one up.

My questions to all of you is this.

The value that they list on the pinball machines in the blue book how do they determine that value?

Is the value listed based on a game that needs to be shopped out or already shopped?

Fully functional? To what degree? Everything works but the bumpers are dead and the flippers have no power or maybe the some of the lights are burnt out?

What if the game is super clean and what defines super clean or exceptional and how much would that change the actual price?

Lets say a value of $500 is put on a particular wedge head. Is that because it's a 7 on a 10 scale?

What is a 7 or a 5?

What if its a 10 should you offer the seller more money and if so how much? $200? $300?

Or bottom line do you just go with your best judgement?

I would guess the same set of questions would apply when determining what you should sell your game for?

#5748 5 years ago

That's good advice. Thank You!

#5749 5 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

Not too shabby? I wonder what shabby would look like? Why not just sand the playfield down to bare wood and clear it. Screw the artwork. That way you could just concentrate on the ball action and not be distracted by the art.

I wonder what a playfield would cost?

#5753 5 years ago
    Quoted from darcangeloel:

People pay $1100 for a NOS PF for that game? I wouldn't but that's just me. LOL I do like the droopy flipper. I feel like we should keep emailing him $1200 offers just to see if he goes wild.

Email him $1100 offers

whats the links I'll start it

#5772 5 years ago
    Quoted from newovad:

Bally Kick Off Pinball Machine 1977 - $5000 (Chicago)
    Vintage 1977 Pinball Machine. In great condition, kept in smoke free, animal free home. One of a kind collectors item.
    Not a lot to go on here on Pinside, but I think this might be priced a bit high.
    The two people that bothered to rate it did give low to mid 7's.

Its a nice looking game but not that nice.

1 week later
    #5786 5 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Um, no, it's the LEAST desirable. Not even near Imamaculate.

Why was the game made differently? My friend just traded one of his games for this machine. I don't really like it that much.

#5790 5 years ago
    Quoted from newovad:

kansascity.craigslist.org link
    Pinball Machine - $16000
    Gottlieb Target Pool
    Only 2425 of these were made in June of 1969! Estimated only a hundred or so still in full playable condition and this is one of them!!! Serious buyers only!
    Even if that is an extra zero, I'm still guessing no one is paying that either.

I just emailed him and ask if its $16000 or $1600 I'll post the exchange of emails

#5792 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

Isn't it crazy that it wouldn't surprise me if he says the ad is correct it's 16K. People invent their own value due to perceived rarity or nostalgia when that has absolutely nothing to do with reality. I would pay 1600 for a gorgeous Target Pool, but it would have to be pretty nice.

Gorgeous as in brand new or near perfect mint condition. Some people must be on crack when they run these ads.

#5794 5 years ago
    Quoted from bicyclenut:

Not a pinball but a Donkey Kong...Really? is all I can say.
    fresno.craigslist.org link

Offer him a dollar if that's what he's asking?

1 week later
    #5809 5 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

austin.craigslist.org link
    Gottlieb Roto Pool $2500
    On a more positive note it's down from $3k a month ago: austin.craigslist.org link

I have to have it. Let get out my check book. LOL Not!!

#5815 5 years ago
    Quoted from egyptrus:

Here's a $38,000 Wizard...madison.craigslist.org link
    Here's the text:
    Very rare limited edition Tommy The Who Pinball Wizard featuring Ann Margaret. Meticulously maintained by an electrician and pinball enthusiast. Protected from direct sunlight. Beautiful back glass and playing field.
    I didn't realize this was a "limited edition". If you look at the one and only picture you'll notice the reflection in the backglass of what appears to be the outside of his house (looks like trees in the reflection). Apparently this game is only exposed to indirect sunlight.

Actually it looks like a the shape of a lamp? Even so 38k? Really?

#5819 5 years ago

38k I bet he has people chomping at the bit. Not! Good luck.

#5822 5 years ago
    Quoted from fisherdaman:

nh.craigslist.org link
    Incase you didn't know the first time, the price is firm! lol

You ask him exactly how firm is the price?

#5825 5 years ago
    Quoted from fisherdaman:

nh.craigslist.org link
    Incase you didn't know the first time, the price is firm! lol

No sorry, I'm firm on this one, but I appreciate the offer

Get Outlook for Android

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, September 5, 2018 3:41:56 PM
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: Monopoly pinball machine

nh.craigslist.org link

Will you take $3500

#5826 5 years ago

The game isn't even worth $3500 and this guy still turned it down. I would never buy it for that but wanted to see what he would say?

#5828 5 years ago
    Quoted from egyptrus:

And now he'll be able to tell others that may send in offers that he "turned down an offer of $3500"...I've contacted sellers like the guy above before and made a reasonable offer only be told about the other offers they've turned down. I usually tell them that if it were me, I'd find the guy that made that offer and take his money.
    I'm wondering if he'll eventually get back to you and tell you that it's yours at $3500. Of course at that point you'll tell him that it's not worth $3500

Exactly! Just wanted to see what his reaction would be.

#5831 5 years ago

offer him $40

#5835 5 years ago
    Quoted from sd_jameson:

So this just came up the other day: sacramento.craigslist.org link
    I'm not sure what the best part is. Is it the $700 price tag for the Lt. Dan, left for dead, EM special? The elusive Williams game "made by bally"? The unique time travel feature that enabled the game to go back to 1964 after being produced in 1967? The "good" condition? The fact that they know the machine is in working order without having replaced the fuses that they claim the machine needs? They're open to trades, somebody better jump on it!
    [quoted image]

What a piece of junk! Look how its sitting in the yard. Redneck pinball.

2 weeks later
    #5878 5 years ago

Like a duck on a June bug

1 month later
    #5994 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

The price isn't outrageous, but the way it's written is pretty good.
    albany.craigslist.org link[quoted image]

Can someone explain this to me? Please! I don't understand the ad? Do I need to get a responsible adult? LOL

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dan63.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/more-craigslist-laughs?tu=dan63 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.