Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,831 posts
  • 1,035 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by Mthomasslo
  • Topic is favorited by 242 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 9.30.56?AM (resized).png
    IMG_0212 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0211 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_9321 (resized).png
    image_2024-03-14_213052593.png
    image_2024-03-14_192715726.png
    image_2024-03-14_192145689.png
    IMG_5824 (resized).jpeg

There are 8,831 posts in this topic. You are on page 90 of 177.
    #4451 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

then you compromise even further because it's a game "they really want"...then they turn around and list it two days later for double that price, that is kind of irritating.

That really is a $@#& move. Who was it? I don't like dealing with people that like to lie.

#4452 6 years ago

Then you better block about half this website!!!

#4453 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

That disappointing...it was mine. Not hard for me to decipher given that it still has my custom keychain on the coin door in his pic. He said he wanted it for himself. And he's a Pinsider, probably why it's not listed here.

I'll never understand why this is a big deal. I recently sold a nice Gtb. Top Card to a guy in Illinois. A few weeks later he had it advertised for sale for a couple hundred bucks more. Did not bother me a bit.
    A few months ago I bought a few games from a guy in Arkansas. He probably paid less for them than what I paid. I just sold them to someone here on Pinside. He did not ask me what I paid for them and he mentioned that he had restored 6 of the same game in the past. I hope he makes a killing on the games. What started out as a few games hiding in an old warehouse are now being restored and available to everyone.
    Some games I buy and turn over immediately. Some sit here for years and I lose money on them.
    Why does this matter so much? Go out there and find games in the rough yourselves. I shudder to think of all of the gas, hotel, shipping and storage money I have spent in the last 35 years. I am sure I will never break even.
    For me it is 'The Hunt'. If I make a little cash on a deal, fine. If I lose a little, that's fine too.

#4454 6 years ago

See my post above #4446.

I agree with most of what you said, and said not to make a big deal about it. I paid $500 for the HLA, and lost $125 selling it. Oh well. What I don't like is when someone lies to your face to flip a game. I am as honest as I can be in this hobby, and have had nearly all good dealings with people. Maybe it's just me, but I just don't bullshit right to someone's face. And I've went out there and found plenty of games "in the rough" myself.

And for me it's more this reality: I had two other buyers interested that collected EM's and really wanted it (who I know would have held onto it). This guy responded before them, so rightfully, I gave him first dibs. He said he really wanted this particular game also. He listed it two days later after putting a few rubbers on it, touching up the cabinet (badly) and putting a new ball in the trough (which I love when people include that in their listing, as if putting a new ball in a game is some major event, repair or expensive). Besides that I had already given him a brand new ball when he picked it up.

I would have rather the game went to one of the other two guys who I know were actually looking for this title and would have kept it in their collection, at least for some amount of time. A good home. Now if they want to buy it, they have to pay way more for it, and they would have to deal with this fella.

It's not the money for me. That part is just an irritating addition. It's the fact that I would rather people have games that want them, then some schmo that could care less about what game he has, barely does anything to it just to make a buck, and then unnecessarily increases the supposed value of the game for the next time it's resold. It's a dangerously cyclical thing that affects the well-being and affordability of games in this hobby.

I just sold a Star Action a week or so ago for $160 just to hook someone up. And I spent a few hours on it getting it to work, LEDs, shopping. And still sold it for that price. Wanted the game to be in circulation instead of storage. I lost money on that too, but I made someone very happy. That brings me joy. If scamming people, lying, price gouging and eventually making the hobby unaffordable for some new pinheads is someone else's thing, I will never like that or be an enabler of that behavior.

TAF, TZ, AFM, even BSD and other DMD's and alphanums...prices vary and that's understandable. If flippers make every EM worth $800 to $2k, this hobby could lose some good people and supporters who can't afford more than a $400 or $500 game at a time. And either way, that's a loss.

#4455 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

See my post above #4446.
    I agree with most of what you said, and said not to make a big deal about it. I paid $500 for the HLA, and lost $125 selling it. Oh well. What I don't like is when someone lies to your face to flip a game. I am as honest as I can be in this hobby, and have had nearly all good dealings with people. Maybe it's just me, but I just don't bullshit right to someone's face. And I've went out there and found plenty of games "in the rough" myself.
    And for me it's more this reality: I had two other buyers interested that collected EM's and really wanted it (who I know would have held onto it). This guy responded before them, so rightfully, I gave him first dibs. He said he really wanted this particular game also. He listed it two days later after putting a few rubbers on it, touching up the cabinet (badly) and putting a new ball in the trough (which I love when people include that in their listing, as if putting a new ball in a game is some major event, repair or expensive). Besides that I had already given him a brand new ball when he picked it up.
    The long and short is...I would have rather the game went to one of the other two guys who I know were actually looking for this title and would have kept it in their collection, at least for some amount of time. A good home. Now if they want to buy it, they have to pay way more for it, and they would have to deal with this fella.
    It's not the money for me. That part is just an irritating addition. It's the fact that I would rather people have games that want them, then some schmo that could care less about what game he has, barely does anything to it just to make a buck, and then unnecessarily increases the supposed value of the game for the next time it's resold. It's a dangerously cyclical thing that affects the well-being and affordability of games in this hobby.
    I just sold a Star Action a week or so ago for $160 just to hook someone up. And I spent a few hours on it getting it to work, LEDs, shopping. And still sold it for that price. Wanted the game to be in circulation instead of storage. I lost money on that too, but I made someone very happy. That brings me joy. If scamming people, lying, price gouging and eventually making the hobby unaffordable for some new pinheads is someone else's thing, I will never like that or be an enabler of that behavior.
    TAF, TZ, AFM, even BSD and other DMD's and alphanums...prices vary and that's understandable. If flippers make every EM worth $800 to $2k, this hobby could lose some good people and supporters who can't afford more than a $400 or $500 game at a time. And either way, that's a loss.

I agree 100%. I have even given away for free quite a few games to folks I know would keep the game and never sell it. I call it "Permanent Loan". If they ever think of selling the game, it comes back to me. Has never happened, to my knowledge.

My gripe is with the folks (some who have probably NEVER gone out searching for games on their own) who bitch about someone making a profit on a game for ANY reason. Way before e-bay and Craigslist came along, I used to pay 300 bucks a month for a 'Pinballs Wanted' ad in the local paper. Some of you have no idea what it costs to track this stuff down.

#4456 6 years ago

300 a month? That seems like way too much. What were you putting it in the New York Times? Most of the ad's for the local paper are like 50-60 something like that.

#4457 6 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

My gripe is with the folks (some who have probably NEVER gone out searching for games on their own) who bitch about someone making a profit on a game for ANY reason. Way before e-bay and Craigslist came along, I used to pay 300 bucks a month for a 'Pinballs Wanted' ad in the local paper. Some of you have no idea what it costs to track this stuff down.

Definitely. I've made a profit on some games...more than some over 8 years of collecting. Just haven't been on Pinside all that long. But the games I've made money on...ie. finding a Williams Flash for $200, fixed it up, and sold it for $500 or $600. What the game is actually worth. Or you find a great deal on an alphanum or DMD, and sell it for a decent price. That is a different story.

#4458 6 years ago

Now that we've dealt with that hiccup....back to the ads.

Anybody want an Olympics? I called and asked if they would accept a lower price, and they actually said this was as cheap as they could go and they "were told by a friend in pinball to list it for almost double what they did."

southjersey.craigslist.org link

#4459 6 years ago
    Quoted from darcangeloel:

300 a month? That seems like way too much. What were you putting it in the New York Times? Most of the ad's for the local paper are like 50-60 something like that.

Four line ad in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. And that was in the 80's and 90's. No idea what it costs now. Not many people advertise there anymore. "PINBALL MACHINES WANTED. ANY AGE, ANY CONDITION. HIGHEST PRICES PAID. Plus phone number. Always paid for itself.
    Ah, the good old days.

#4460 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Anybody want an Olympics? I called and asked if they would accept a lower price, and they actually said this was as cheap as they could go and they "were told by a friend in pinball to list it for almost double what they did."

That game has been listed with the same photos for about a year now, I think.

#4461 6 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

Four line ad in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. And that was in the 80's and 90's. No idea what it costs now. Not many people advertise there anymore. "PINBALL MACHINES WANTED. ANY AGE, ANY CONDITION. HIGHEST PRICES PAID. Plus phone number. Always paid for itself.
    Ah, the good old days.

Nowadays you check CL and there's 40 ads with that language.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

That game has been listed with the same photos for about a year now, I think.

A year? Seriously? I have a project Olympics in my garage, and the reimport with the plexi backglass. I've contemplated giving it away because I haven't had time to even touch it in nearly two years.

#4462 6 years ago

If it's nicer than the one listed, you could probably easily get a couple hundred for it. Any time a pin pops up for less than $400, there's a feeding frenzy.

#4463 6 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

Ah, the good old days.

I just checked the Post-Dispatch ad rates. 130 bucks for four lines for 2 DAYS in the newspaper! Includes 30 days in the online version of the paper. Yikes!

#4464 6 years ago

No wonder all the papers are going out of business...

#4465 6 years ago
    Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

It seems to me that this is self correcting now. You obviously won't cut him any deals ever again. Do this to enough people, and the buy effectively removes himself from the market. So it becomes a short term gain, long term loss.

It corrects faster when you out the flippers to the community. Their deals go away faster leaving more for people who actually want the games.

#4466 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Yes, that has been listed for a long time. Everytime I see that add I chuckle. Hope it's not a pinsider.

#4467 6 years ago

A bit overpriced, I think.
    sfbay.craigslist.org link

#4468 6 years ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

A bit overpriced, I think.

Hahaha...looks like they actually LED'd that thing.

#4469 6 years ago

This guy keeps popping up with the same ad. I actually got a good deal on some legs from him, but I always chuckle at the ad:
    "This sale is like your first date when you were a youth. If you never had the courage to ask her out, you never would know what could or could not be."

#4470 6 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

It corrects faster when you out the flippers to the community. Their deals go away faster leaving more for people who actually want the games.

Flipping isn't the issue, the issue is lying with a sob story to obtain the machine under false pretense.

I'm right up front with people- My wife and I pick up machines to try out, neither one of us have favorites from our youth because pinball was pretty much dead in our youth and we were playing video games. We pick them up if they look interesting, I refurbish them into top mechanical shape and do cosmetics as best able and we give them a go. If they make the cut they go in the line up, if they don't off to CL.

In the last 2 weeks picked up Bus Stop, Darts, Star Action, Big Ben and Space Odyssey. Of the 5, Big Ben was fully operational first followed by Space Odyssey (which still needs a good cabinet scrubbing,) Darts is mostly working but still needs a good cleaning, elastics and waxing and minor issues addressed. Bus Stop is now 80% working but still needs the full treatment and Star Action I have not had a chance to do the full comb over to get 100%. Matter of fact waiting for a new scoring motor to arrive for SA because I highjacked it diagnosing a problem with Big Ben.

Bus Stop, Space Odyssey and Darts are going to make it into the long term line up I think based on our play so far. Big Ben I'm not so sure but we have it in place to give it a fair shot. Star Action? doesn't play well enough for my taste yet (no offense to Colson who did a great job getting it working and lighting with LED, the kids love it) to make a determination if I like it or not.

I'm slightly OCD and when thing are not working 100% it irritates the hell out of me and makes it no fun to play.

Sorry for going long.

DSCN8153 (resized).JPGDSCN8153 (resized).JPG

#4471 6 years ago

Deal of the century! Only 15K.

IMG_2482 (resized).PNGIMG_2482 (resized).PNG

#4472 6 years ago
    Quoted from alexanr1:

Deal of the century! Only 15K.

$10k by xmas? Maybe?

#4473 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

I would have rather the game went to one of the other two guys who I know were actually looking for this title and would have kept it in their collection, at least for some amount of time. A good home. Now if they want to buy it, they have to pay way more for it, and they would have to deal with this fella.

So let them know who now has it what he gave for it and maybe they can pick it up for just a few more bucks? If the buyer is seeing this maybe he will let if go for say a $50 profit? Probably not since it sounds like he bought as a flip but maybe? It wouldn't bother me to say I know you got that game from Colsond3 for $x and I will give you $Z for it.

#4474 6 years ago
    Quoted from PoBoyPinball:

So let them know who now has it what he gave for it and maybe they can pick it up for just a few more bucks? If the buyer is seeing this maybe he will let if go for say a $50 profit? Probably not since it sounds like he bought as a flip but maybe? It wouldn't bother me to say I know you got that game from colsond3 for $x and I will give you $Z for it.

Funny you say that. I told them both exactly that yesterday.

#4475 6 years ago

It would be kinda nice to have a name, I think.

#4476 6 years ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

It would be kinda nice to have a name, I think.

I reached out on this one when it was more. It's a Shaq Attaq

#4477 6 years ago

Gottlieb and Shaq, that's a match made in heaven.

#4478 6 years ago

Not pinball related but still should belong in the "Craigslist Laughs" section. Gave me a chuckle.

austin.craigslist.org link

Screen Shot 2017-07-27 at 10.18.27 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-07-27 at 10.18.27 AM.png

#4479 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bugsy:

Not pinball related but still should belong in the "Craigslist Laughs" section. Gave me a chuckle.

So.. this CL poster drives a Reliant?
    4 wheels, with one being the spare?

#4480 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bugsy:

So if her breakup wasn't fairly new sex would be ok? Sound like her ex found out about her sextracurricular activities.

#4481 6 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

So if her breakup wasn't fairly new sex would be ok? Sound like her ex found out about her sextracurricular activities.

Maybe this is actually a dating post. She's clearly looking for a white knight who likes fishing and astronomy, and is free to drop everything and help a damsel in distress.

#4482 6 years ago

Oh i get it. Fishing and astronomy, long walks on the beach looking at the stars.

#4483 6 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

Oh i get it. Fishing and astronomy, long walks on the beach looking at the stars.

And handy with a patch kit!

#4484 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

That disappointing...it was mine. Not hard for me to decipher given that it still has my custom keychain on the coin door in his pic. He said he wanted it for himself. And he's a Pinsider, probably why it's not listed here.

Now down a $100.00 less now $595.00. Maybe he will go down to what he paid for it? I wonder if he fixed the flipper as it was stated.

lancaster.craigslist.org link

Quoted from Colsond3:

Nowadays you check CL and there's 40 ads with that language.

A year? Seriously? I have a project Olympics in my garage, and the reimport with the plexi backglass. I've contemplated giving it away because I haven't had time to even touch it in nearly two years.

I'll take it if you can deliver it. Just don't have the time on my hand to drive.

#4485 6 years ago

Here's an interesting listing for a Zizzle machine.

newjersey.craigslist.org link

I understand the appeal of a zizzle-scale machine that's got most of the features of a "real" machine. That's cool. And the condition of the machine looks good enough.

The funny part is that instead of giving an asking price, he gives a link to an old ebay listing.

Screenshot_5 (resized).pngScreenshot_5 (resized).png

#4486 6 years ago

Crazy. I paid $50 for the one I donated to a school, and I think that that is about the best price I would offer.

#4487 6 years ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

Crazy. I paid $50 for the one I donated to a school, and I think that that is about the best price I would offer.

That was probably back when they were still in production. They seem to go for about $250-350 now.
    (I assume it's because they're the only thing less than full-size that isn't completely a toy?)

Still a lot less than $2.6k.

#4488 6 years ago
    Quoted from apLundell:

That was probably back when they were still in production. They seem to go for about $250-350 now.
    (I assume it's because they're the only thing less than full-size that isn't completely a toy?)

No, that was about 3 or 4 months ago. Another one went for that a week before I bought mine, and there was one a few miles away for $80 last month.
    Play one without an update(of buttons if nothing else) and it's just a terrible game.

#4489 6 years ago
    Quoted from apLundell:

They seem to go for about $250-350 now.

Sellers ask for that, but I don't think they get that. I see Zizzle games listed all the time in my area for months and months for those prices and they don't seem to disappear until the price eventually drops below $50.

#4490 6 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

I'll take it if you can deliver it. Just don't have the time on my hand to drive.

I was so tempted two weeks ago.

#4491 6 years ago

$583 shipping?

#4492 6 years ago

There's more than 3 things wrong with that ad...

#4493 6 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

I reached out on this one when it was more. It's a Shaq Attaq

what happened? i kinda like it,what would you pay for it? i'm thinking $600 but i'm sure that would hurt his feelings.

#4494 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinostalgia:

what happened? i kinda like it,what would you pay for it? i'm thinking $600 but i'm sure that would hurt his feelings.

I'm just not interested in the title and already have too many projects

#4495 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Sellers ask for that, but I don't think they get that. I see Zizzle games listed all the time in my area for months and months for those prices and they don't seem to disappear until the price eventually drops below $50.

Huh. I was estimating based on completed (sold) eBay auctions. I knew eBay prices are a bit high, but didn't realize it trended THAT high. That's 5X!

I have another stupid newbie question : Are ebay prices that far out of whack for real machines as well? That doesn't seem possible.

#4496 6 years ago
    Quoted from apLundell:

Huh. I was estimating based on completed (sold) eBay auctions. I knew eBay prices are a bit high, but didn't realize it trended THAT high. That's 5X!
    I have another stupid newbie question : Are ebay prices that far out of whack for real machines as well? That doesn't seem possible.

Not necessarily 5x's but at least 150% - 250%... I would never buy a machine from eBay these days.... maybe 10-15 years ago, but not now.

#4497 6 years ago
    Quoted from apLundell:

A number of retailers list games, and those are well above market prices--usually at least double.

Anyone else, yeah, they are high, though not usually as high as a retailer (for example, I saw an F-14 for $3100 recently ). Once in a great while you might find a deal, but most of the time, people think their stuff is worth a fortune and that they are sitting on a goldmine, so there's little chance of finding a bargain, unfortunately.

#4498 6 years ago
    Quoted from apLundell:

Are ebay prices that far out of whack for real machines as well? That doesn't seem possible.

In general, I only go to ebay for parts. Anything else is local or craigslist. I also collect vintage scuba gear, and the same thing happened there. Ebay was great for a while, and now the prices are skyrocketing.

#4499 6 years ago

Semi related: Fun antique store but Sinbad was $1500 and didn't run. Paul Bunyan was $1150. I stopped asking prices after that.

IMG_0699 (resized).JPGIMG_0699 (resized).JPG

#4500 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

Semi related: Fun antique store but Sinbad was $1500 and didn't run. Paul Bunyan was $1150. I stopped asking prices after that.

How much was the pig?

I'm sure the playfield glass on Sinbad didn't have any scratches from the chandelier or whatever the hell that is thrown on top of it.

There are 8,831 posts in this topic. You are on page 90 of 177.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/more-craigslist-laughs/page/90 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.