4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6,437 posts
  • 781 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by darcangeloel
  • Topic is favorited by 164 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,136 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screenshot_20190711-150544_eBay (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190711-150534_eBay (resized).jpg
    Sell (resized).jpg
    3390B124-C267-4643-8A3D-7223F435513B (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 3.37.34 PM (resized).png
    Screenshot_20190708-193129_Chrome (resized).jpg
    0254CE88-4DBF-4C94-A6AD-1225AE3C2E64 (resized).jpeg
    50EE382C-E167-4C9B-A6DD-4DD64412A7D0 (resized).png
    9C0D2B36-5CF7-46FF-9F96-6848A675EC10 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20190703-183025_eBay (resized).jpg
    6C83A97A-017A-4AD9-84FE-81037009FC23 (resized).png
    pinball (resized).jpg
    IMG_1291 (resized).PNG
    Screenshot 2019-06-22 at 11.21.24 AM (resized).png
    Screenshot 2019-06-22 at 11.20.56 AM (resized).png
    Screenshot 2019-06-22 at 11.20.13 AM (resized).png

There are 6437 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 129.
    #2051 3 years ago
    Quoted from GreenMachine19:

and it smells like a scam

Splain Lucy.

pasted_image_(resized).png

#2052 3 years ago

CL lists this in their rules.

"spam; miscategorized, overposted, cross-posted, or nonlocal content"

No, they're not supposed to post the same ad day after day after day. And in cases where they're overpriced by multiple times what one could reasonably expect - fuck em. Flag away all day every day.

#2053 3 years ago
    Quoted from Beatnik-Filmstar:

CL lists this in their rules.
    "spam; miscategorized, overposted, cross-posted, or nonlocal content"
    No, they're not supposed to post the same ad day after day after day. And in cases where they're overpriced by multiple times what one could reasonably expect - fuck em. Flag away all day every day.

Doesn't make it a "Scam".

#2054 3 years ago

If this machine is real, no reason to flag it, regardless of an outrageous price or condition.

"Fake wanted" lure ads with stolen photos of "Top 10" machines are a completely different story. They were rampant in Portland recently, until the individual was finally shut down by law enforcement after the individual was identified, and "visited" by the police based on multiple complaints by collectors in the area.

#2055 3 years ago

You are right its much better to black ball them by posting their ads in "more craigslist laughs" than to flag posts that get bumped to the top of the heap with no changes what so ever. We had another EM posted in Eastern CT for years of the same machine with no contact info. I flagged that guy too.

#2056 3 years ago

When my machines don't sell I drop the price or the ad if I'm unwilling to drop the price. I never just bumped it to the top or asked way more than what they typically sell for., for like forever.

#2057 3 years ago

Check this one out from the Ft.Wayne flipper:

fortwayne.craigslist.org link

#2058 3 years ago

I don't flag for sale ads, regardless of price. I do agree that it does get annoying when the same machine gets posted over and over. How many have seen ads that get reposted over and over right in the same day in a span of minutes.

So when you open CL you see it here.

...and here,

....and here,

....and here,

oh, finally an ad I didn't see.

What, you thought that by posting the same stupid ad 4 times in a row you could cram it down our throats so that maybe someone would buy it just so you would go away? Argh.

#2059 3 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Check this one out from the Ft.Wayne flipper:

I would, but it's gone now.

#2060 3 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

I would, but it's gone now.

It said "Pinball repair needed for TFTC" $3800

It went something along the lines of:

I have this TFTC that has a problem I cannot figure out. I have swapped this and that. I have a another machine that uses the same boards, swapped them too and the problem is still there.....blah....blah....blah, please help.

Then it goes, when it is fixed, it's in really great shape and for sale for $3800!!!

I am willing to bet the seller is here on Pinside and saw his ad in the CL laughs and pulled the ad.

#2061 3 years ago
    Quoted from 0geist0:

Doesn't make it a "Scam".

I didn't say it did. I was pointing out that per CL's site, "overposting" is a valid reason to flag ads.

#2062 3 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

I don't flag for sale ads, regardless of price. I do agree that it does get annoying when the same machine gets posted over and over. How many have seen ads that get reposted over and over right in the same day in a span of minutes.
    So when you open CL you see it here.
    ...and here,
    ....and here,
    ....and here,
    oh, finally an ad I didn't see.
    What, you thought that by posting the same stupid ad 4 times in a row you could cram it down our throats so that maybe someone would buy it just so you would go away? Argh.

You mean like this ad posted 5 times in a row on the same day.

Screen_Shot_2016-01-20_at_2.22.58_PM_(resized).png

#2063 3 years ago
    Quoted from wantdataeast:

You mean like this ad posted 5 times in a row on the same day.

Screen_Shot_2016-01-20_at_2.22.58_PM_(resized).png

Lol. I've seen quite a bit of that avatar myself

#2064 3 years ago
    Quoted from Geocab:

Do you have this option on your screen?

Screenshot_2016-01-10-08-35-48-1_(resized).jpg

No I don't have that option? I wonder why?

#2065 3 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

First rule of thumb: If it shows up in this thread and we are laughing at it, then it is not a fair price.
    You can start a "Price Check" thread for any specific games you run across. Just remember that everyone has their own opinions. What's reasonable for some is not for others. Some sellers are way out in left field though. So they end up here getting laughed at....................

First I want to Thank all of you. I feel more comfortable knowing that you guys at least know something and won't steer me in the wrong direction. Unfortunately the best I can do is respond to threads and not start them? I guess buying a pinball machine also requires a great deal of patience and not to buy the first one you see if the price isn't justifiable for the condition and popularity of the machine. I never worked on pinball machines, but would love to know how to at least do some basic repairs and troubleshooting. Are there any good sources? I know this site would be one source perhaps Internet postings? Are there a lot of special types of tools required?

Thanks in advance and sorry for posting here, but I can't start a thread

Dan

#2066 3 years ago

Jungle King $400 austin.craigslist.org link
    I might be interested at half that, I'm not really into the EM stuff.

If anyone on Pinside wants it let me know and I'll be happy to check it out and haul it to my house.

#2067 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dan63:

First I want to Thank all of you. I feel more comfortable knowing that you guys at least know something and won't steer me in the wrong direction. Unfortunately the best I can do is respond to threads and not start them? I guess buying a pinball machine also requires a great deal of patience and not to buy the first one you see if the price isn't justifiable for the condition and popularity of the machine. I never worked on pinball machines, but would love to know how to at least do some basic repairs and troubleshooting. Are there any good sources? I know this site would be one source perhaps Internet postings? Are there a lot of special types of tools required?
    Thanks in advance and sorry for posting here, but I can't start a thread
    Dan

As far as pin repair sites I like pinwiki.com tons of info on there. Lots of helpful people of this site as well. I have learned a ton from some of these guys.

#2068 3 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Jungle King $400 " target="_blank">austin.craigslist.org link
    I might be interested at half that, I'm not really into the EM stuff.
    If anyone on Pinside wants it let me know and I'll be happy to check it out and haul it to my house.

Just to let you know this is the "laughs" thread for terrible listings, there's another EM CL thread around here somewhere. (Also, that's just "Jungle".)

Looks painted over too. Funny, I just picked up the two player version of this game, Gottlieb's Wild Life (a real nice one at a real nice price), the other day. Love the art and the gameplay! No room to set it up yet though, ugh!

#2069 3 years ago

From what I learned so far is that if you have a pinball machine and you put a lot of work into chances are you don't ever recoup what you have in it. So sometimes its best to just keep it or take a loss when you sell it, but than again it all depends what you paid for it right?

#2070 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dan63:

From what I learned so far is that if you have a pinball machine and you put a lot of work into chances are you don't ever recoup what you have in it. So sometimes its best to just keep it or take a loss when you sell it, but than again it all depends what you paid for it right?

Exactly. I bought a Monday Night Football, played the Hell out of it, then found a better game a month later. I sold MNF for $100 less than I paid for it. Did I get $100 worth of enjoyment out of it? You bet! Am I okay with the decision to lose $100 on it? Yep!

#2071 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dan63:

I never worked on pinball machines, but would love to know how to at least do some basic repairs and troubleshooting. Are there a lot of special types of tools required?

Dan, the first question I would ask to you is what level of electronics knowledge and experience do you have? A lot of the pinball resources/repair sites assume you have a least a basic working knowledge of electronics (i.e. you know what the components are, have some idea of the terminology, know how to take measurements etc.) if you don't know some basic electronics, I'd recommend you get some education about that first. Online sources are o.k. but a professional course such as a vocational school would be better than muddling through learning the vast world of electronics on your own.

As far as special tools go, you'll be able to do most work with the basic tools of electronics. More specific tools are outlined in some of the resources. For example, if you find you are interested in working on electromechanical pinball machines, tools like flex-files and contact cleaning files are indispensable.

#2072 3 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Dan, the first question I would ask to you is what level of electronics knowledge and experience do you have? A lot of the pinball resources/repair sites assume you have a least a basic working knowledge of electronics (i.e. you know what the components are, have some idea of the terminology, know how to take measurements etc.) if you don't know some basic electronics, I'd recommend you get some education about that first. Online sources are o.k. but a professional course such as a vocational school would be better than muddling through learning the vast world of electronics on your own.

"Randy Fromm's School of Arcade Electronics and Repair".
    The best novice school to teach the uninitiated.
    I have no idea if he holds personal classes anymore.
    This was not an "online" education program, as the internet did not exist in its present form!
    I graduated in 1992...

Books and series are still available though, outside of things like Clay's guides.
    Check it out.

#2073 3 years ago

Maybe we can find a ridiculous priced electronics school on CL to post here?

#2074 3 years ago

newyork.craigslist.org link

The same High Speed that's been here before? $3900... At least he's dropping the price, right? Maybe in 4 years it will be in range...

#2075 3 years ago

inlandempire.craigslist.org link

Pretty great price! SWDE and its Limited Edition, I'll have to check mine to see if it's an LE too?!?

#2076 3 years ago
    Quoted from cireone:

inlandempire.craigslist.org link
    Pretty great price! SWDE and its Limited Edition, I'll have to check mine to see if it's an LE too?!?

It looks like it's in really nice shape, but I don't know about $6500. I was once at an auction where a routed DESW with missing plastics, banged-up cabinet, warbly speakers and a grungy worn-to-the-wood playfield sold for $3000. Even as a noob, I knew that was crazy.

#2077 3 years ago
    Quoted from TopMoose:

It looks like it's in really nice shape, but I don't know about $6500. I was once at an auction where a routed DESW with missing plastics, banged-up cabinet, warbly speakers and a grungy worn-to-the-wood playfield sold for $3000. Even as a noob, I knew that was crazy.

I just saw one auctioned off for $2100 a week or so ago. Decent shape, mostly working.

There is no DESW LE and $6500 is fantasy land.

#2078 3 years ago
    Quoted from megalo17:

newyork.craigslist.org link
    The same High Speed that's been here before? $3900... At least he's dropping the price, right? Maybe in 4 years it will be in range...

Didn't that one start out at $4500?

#2079 3 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

As far as special tools go, you'll be able to do most work with the basic tools of electronics. More specific tools are outlined in some of the resources. For example, if you find you are interested in working on electromechanical pinball machines, tools like flex-files and contact cleaning files are indispensable.

I don't know anything about electronics whatsoever, so yes I am a newbie in the purest form, but at least I'm honest and sincere with my abilities or should I say lack there of. I agree this is something you really don't want to muddle through. I guess I can take a few courses, but I enjoy all your company...you guys are really a nice bunch and super cool!

As far as tools I do have some flex files, some T handle drivers and a solder station. My other hobbies include building rockets and nitro RC trucks so I would say I'm capable of learning at least some basic repairs and I work on computers as a career. I'm good with my hands so I would imagine that would help

#2080 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dan63:

you guys are really a nice bunch and super cool!

Give it time!

#2081 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dan63:

I don't know anything about electronics whatsoever, so yes I am a newbie in the purest form, but at least I'm honest and sincere with my abilities or should I say lack there of. I agree this is something you really don't want to muddle through. I guess I can take a few courses, but I enjoy all your company...you guys are really a nice bunch and super cool!
    As far as tools I do have some flex files, some T handle drivers and a solder station. My other hobbies include building rockets and nitro RC trucks so I would say I'm capable of learning at least some basic repairs and I work on computers as a career. I'm good with my hands so I would imagine that would help

One of the best introductory materials I've encountered is "Getting Started in Electronics"

amazon.com link »

It's not very thick, so it's fairly light reading.

It goes through and explains the fundamentals of electricity, dives into the various common electronic components that are available, and more.

#2082 3 years ago

Staying OT, Terryb has a great website, http://pinballrehab.com/ , with lots of tutorials & articles explaining electronics.

#2083 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dan63:

Having a hobby requiring attention to detail, a solder station, and some computer experience - you probably have more prerequisites covered than 80% of the folks in the hobby. Pick a machine you like, post about it here on Pinside and we will help you assess its health so you can get it up to speed.

#2084 3 years ago

I'm looking for one of these in about this condition, but for less than a grand. Are they serious?
    ebay.com link » Like

#2085 3 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

I'm looking for one of these in about this condition, but for less than a grand. Are they serious?
    ebay.com link » Like

ebay prices combined with being a professional seller.

#2086 3 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

ebay.com link » Like

That price does seem exorbitant for that condition, but the description says make an offer, without the "make offer" button. Possibly he's trying to skirt ebay fees by listing it at such an obviously ludicrous price as to invite email offers.

#2087 3 years ago

detroit.craigslist.org link

$250.00 betcha they say home use only

#2088 3 years ago
    Quoted from bob_e:

detroit.craigslist.org link
    $250.00 betcha they say home use only

But they are "very collectable!"

#2089 3 years ago
    Quoted from OHMI_Arcade:

But they are "very collectable!"

Having to note in an ad that something is "very collectable" invariably means "not collectable".

#2090 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

One of the best introductory materials I've encountered is "Getting Started in Electronics"
    amazon.com link »
    It's not very thick, so it's fairly light reading.
    It goes through and explains the fundamentals of electricity, dives into the various common electronic components that are available, and more.

Looks like a great place to start. I think I'll order and get my feet wet or should I say my brain LOL

Thank you!

#2091 3 years ago

$5500 for a Stern Playboy? This must be a joke. Why would i spend that much on a 2002 Stern machine when i can get a brand new one for practically the same price? newjersey.craigslist.org link

#2092 3 years ago

Drop whatever you're doing....now you can finally upgrade your old worn ball, this guy's got a 1 1/16" chrome plated steel pinball for only 5 bucks. Where else are you gonna find a replacement ball? I envy the guy who gets this ball first, and pity all you other suckas who will have to keep your old, pitted ball to play with. And it's 5 dollars FIRM, no lowballers!! He's got mouths to feed! As the ad states, "well worth it!"

delaware.craigslist.org link

#2093 3 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

Drop whatever you're doing....now you can finally upgrade your old worn ball, this guy's got a 1 1/16" chrome plated steel pinball for only 5 bucks. Where else are you gonna find a replacement ball? I envy the guy who gets this ball first, and pity all you other suckas who will have to keep your old, pitted ball to play with. And it's 5 dollars FIRM, no lowballers!! He's got mouths to feed! As the ad states, "well worth it!"

At least he wore clothes when he took the pic.

#2094 3 years ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

At least he wore clothes when he took the pic.

His undershirt, at least. For all we know, he could be taking photos commando.

#2095 3 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

He must be related to this guy.

seattle.craigslist.org link

#2096 3 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

That is the most unbelievable thing i have ever seen lol. Has anyone called this ass clown yet?

#2097 3 years ago
    Quoted from 3rdaxis:

That is the most unbelievable thing i have ever seen lol. Has anyone called this ass clown yet?

It would be hysterical if a whole bunch of pinsiders could coordinate and call him within a spread of a few hours and get into a bidding war over the precious ball.

#2098 3 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

Drop whatever you're doing....now you can finally upgrade your old worn ball, this guy's got a 1 1/16" chrome plated steel pinball for only 5 bucks. Where else are you gonna find a replacement ball?
    And he only has a precious quantity of one available, with pick up only. I think I'll ask him how much he will charge to ship it to Chicago since they are not available here.

#2099 3 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

He has just one chrome plate ball for sale?

#2100 3 years ago

Bally Fireball $1500

Umm it's a home version

tucson.craigslist.org link

There are 6437 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 129.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside