(Topic ID: 295880)

More and more, gravitating towards less complex rules

By Doctor6

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

552169A7-7E8E-4398-A3E0-4B4D334097DA (resized).jpeg
    simple jack (resized).jpg
    PotC JJP characters explained (0.99) (resized).jpg
    index (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bublehead.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 2 years ago

Ahh... rule depth. Another raging Pinside dumpster fire thread is just starting to burn...

I enjoy a deep ruleset, Things started picking up after LOTR and TSPP... People don't even know the depth of some machines, like FG, where completing the ultimate wizard mode is on beyond zebra for most. But thats where I draw the line. If the ultimate wizard mode is impossible to get to, then why even try? I enjoy the rulesets of MM, MB, AFM, FT, TG:HSII, CFTBL, TS, SS... etc... but the System 11 pins was where rules started getting more interesting. When they finally started to realize that dumping all the balls on the playfield for a final wizard mode, ball saver on was not enough fun they started cooking up ways to get more fun out of you getting there. Some machine hit that mark, others hand you your lumberjack outfit, complete with axe.

#50 2 years ago

I think there are enough simpler games around that we really don't need that many new ones.

Haggis Fathom 2.0 is kind of cashing in on simpler. TNA was the same idea. If people want simple there are plenty of older titles to fill the void. Even CGC is giving us simpler coded remakes, albeit 90's simple.

Rules can inspire you to keep trying or they can satisfy and satiate your current playing desire.

But nobody really wants to have to read the Cliff Notes on a title in order to have fun, however if you want to be the BMOC and impress the gallery with your wizardry talents, you will have them memorized.

#62 2 years ago

The secret to a great ruleset is- it makes the player think "Damn it, if I had just one more ball, I would have scored that <insert jackpot, mode completion, objective here>", thus the need to feed the coinslot.

In HUO, cripes, if I get past ball 2 WITHOUT pushing the credit button is sometimes a miracle. If a machine is brutal onsite, I cant wait for the day I'm playing it for free in someone's home or at a free play event or arcade.

#110 2 years ago

Or you get someone who doesn't give a rats ass about getting paid for callouts and ride them like a scalded dog... take Seth Mcfarland and Family Guy... they used tons of his work from the show, and I heard he did it for almost nothing.

"Whadda ya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy?... whack-off a guy?"

#126 2 years ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

This thread makes me feel a lot better about how bad I want a black knight SOR

I think with the Animated topper, SOR would be bolted to my floor, but I always loved BK, and BK2K. But certainly not enough to pay the prices people want for that topper nowadays

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bublehead.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/more-and-more-gravitating-towards-less-complex-rules?tu=bublehead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.