z533-speaker-system (resized).png
tumblr_meja0imV0O1qg39ewo1_500 (resized).png
pizza2 (resized).jpg
pizza1 (resized).jpg
dropsinstalledupper (resized).jpg
dropdrill4 (resized).jpg
dropdrill3 (resized).jpg
dremel (resized).jpg

There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 11 months ago

Cool, you found my avatar

#52 11 months ago

Small setback... I read on MPF that I should install a diode on the magnet coil to prevent blowing up the board. Well, I thought the cathode side (-) would naturally go to (-) on the coil. Well... as you can likely guess, this is not the case. Guess what a backwards diode does? IT BLOWS UP THE BOARD!

Funny thing is that it was a bad blowup but an easy fix. It didn't blow the fuse or any of the transistors. Instead, it literally blew apart the trace on the board just before the resistor in line with the c36 transistor. Never seen this before. When I flipped the board, I found it had already been hacked before, so I didn't feel so bad doing my first hack. It was easy, ugly and works well I should have taken pics, but I'm new to this pinball blogging thing. I keep forgetting!

Anway, I have some time this weekend to get the code for the drops and magnet runing. I'll do my best to shoot a video on Sunday, even if it's crap. You guys can at least see the thing in action.

#53 11 months ago

Great project - great progress - following.

#54 11 months ago

You're pretty far along for a wish list item: Castle Anthrax Zoot Mode. "I'll take the peril" would be a great shoutout.

#55 11 months ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

You're pretty far along for a wish list item: Castle Anthrax Zoot Mode. "I'll take the peril" would be a great shoutout.

No, it's too perilous.

Great project, following!

#56 11 months ago

"I'm not dead yet"
"You'll be stone dead in a moment"
ball save callouts would be great...

#57 11 months ago

Video is up!

Please, no complaints about verticle video. You're only missing out on my messy office, which you've already seen!

#58 11 months ago

Ahh, now we can see the violence inherent in the system.... awesome work so far, cant wait for updates!

#59 11 months ago

Looking good!
the inline drop targets should have been on the original, brilliant!

You should do a switch frenzy on the black knight.

#60 11 months ago

Truly an epic idea! And a Dayglo shirt! I thought I was the only one still rolling with those in 2020...

#61 11 months ago
Quoted from eggs4sale:

Truly an epic idea! And a Dayglo shirt! I thought I was the only one still rolling with those in 2020...

Haha, I long for the days of Jimbo and The Cretin!

#62 11 months ago
Quoted from Axl:

Looking good!
the inline drop targets should have been on the original, brilliant!
You should do a switch frenzy on the black knight.

Do you mean building up the value of the shot with switch hits or something similar?

I'm definitely interested in suggestions for the Black Knight Mode. I'll probably finish it as it is, but there's a good chance I'll replace it with something else. I'll have to see how people like it. I've also considered give a little more time before the mode begins and shooting all five (you get one extra try) in succession. This would speed up the mode. The only issue is how to get rid of the extra balls on the pf.

#63 11 months ago

Gotta have a Castle Anthrax mode for sure. "A spanking! A spanking!" would be an epic callout.

... and after the spanking...

#64 10 months ago

Seeing that I'm getting closer to getting the bulk of the logic done in coding, I decided to install the sound system so that I can start working seriously on sound. After some research, I chose Logitec Z533 speakers based on quality and size. By measurements, the system would just barely fit without alteration.

z533-speaker-system (resized).png

#65 10 months ago

First thing I needed to do was to get rid of the old speaker, its platform and the glue used to hold the platform.

IMG_20201121_104911 (resized).jpg

IMG_20201121_105400 (resized).jpg

#66 10 months ago

Doh! The lower eject popper mech is about 3/4 cm too long for the sub to fit! SHIT!

IMG_20201121_114016 (resized).jpg

#67 10 months ago

So I made a quick template of the size of the bottom of the bracket. Time to remove some of the sub!

IMG_20201121_110959 (resized).jpg

A few checks and adjustments until the lines match up.

IMG_20201121_114037 (resized).jpg

#68 10 months ago

Then it was time to get the dremel out.

IMG_20201121_125350 (resized).jpg

This 3m respirator/face shield was one of the best investments EVER! If you grind, drill, saw, smash, burn and/or crawl around in attics, get one! No fogging, crazy easy to put on, and great protection!

IMG_20201121_125446_1 (resized).jpg

#69 10 months ago

satellite speakers mounted to the speaker panel. The closest any plugs from the board get is about 1/2 cm. Close, but just enough space.

IMG_20201121_202227 (resized).jpg

#70 10 months ago

Video of speakers and sound. 6 mins.

2 weeks later
#71 10 months ago

Going on three weeks since your flurry of updates, everything ok?

#72 10 months ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Going on three weeks since your flurry of updates, everything ok?

All good. I've been working on the modes and the drop multiball. If I get done what I hope to tomorrow, I'll try to make a video Sunday.

As a preview:

- I ditched the old Black Knight mode and made it a right ramp, to hand of god, to cave shot mode. Similar to before, but you must shoot for the shots instead of the game just giving them to you.

- I made the Robin mode from the video into the knights of Ni, which is what it should have been in the first place.

- The old Robin mode has been redesigned to be pretty close to STTNG worm hole mode: right orbit to side ramp combo (Picard manoeuvre) to complete. L & R ramps crank up the value. It will be the most difficult mode but the most rewarding if you can crank it up and nail it.

- The logic for the Black Beast mode is finally done. It is a roaming shot mode, which ended up being far more complex than I thought it would be. The good news is that it taught me some pretty powerful parts of MPF.

Cheers,

Lance

#73 10 months ago

Sorry, no video over weekend. I want there to be more to show before I put in the time.

I'm currently working on the million little things I have on my "to do" list.

- Mode scoring - All mode scores will be bonus so that tilting will be costly (my fav. in games). I have to code the scoring as seperate variables and then code to display this during the modes and during bonus. Bonus is done, working on modes.

- DMD breaks - During modes, when you score something or hit something or finish the mode, there will be DMD changes. Just getting the timing down on these is time consuming. This is without any actual DMD graphics, just the logic in the modes.

- Sound - Sounds need to fade in and out and interrupt other sounds. MPF has a powerful sound player, but it takes a lot of time to code individual sounds over music etc.

- Callouts and making sense of the modes to work with what happens in a seriously messed up plot. This part is FUN!

- Once I get a bunch of this done, I'll go back to the hardware side and get the magnet (or up post) done and add the switches for the subway multiball.

I'll get something up this week for sure, but I need to get a lot of these nit-picky things out of the way that don't really add much for your guys to see.

2 weeks later
#74 9 months ago

Amazing... just wished someone would recode demoman someday. Added dots would be a bonus.

9 months later
1 week later
#76 2 days ago

Yes! But nothing too exciting.

Just finished pulling a ton of video assets from the film. Long process as each clip must be edited so that it looks good on a dmd. Editing involves resizing, reframing, brightness, contrast, audio levels etc. Clips are also prone to ugly artifacts.

Tweaking modes and chasing bugs.

Still working on fixing the added magnet and coding drop target functionality. Have a new coil to try. Just need to install.

Things are slower as I don't have as much time these days. I'll try to post a video soonish.

There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside