IMG_1184 (resized).jpg
IMG_1180 (resized).jpg
IMG_1179 (resized).jpg
IMG_1178 (resized).jpg
IMG_1177 (resized).jpg
IMG_1172 (resized).jpg
IMG_1175 (resized).jpg
IMG_1176 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Nikrox2.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Picked up a 1987 Gottlieb Monte Carlo. When bought, it wasn't starting a game, but it was at least showing some messages (switch closed, tilt, etc). Got her home and re-seated board connections (hoping that was a quick fix), checked and replaced where needed all fuses -and powered her up -now nuttin. A repetitive clicking sound comes thru the speakers, LED light on the sound board stays lit, the ramp coil fires and stays on, "sometimes" the display will show one or two rows of symbols - in sync with the clicking.

When I unplugged one of the ground molex connectors (A12-J5) - playfield lights come on, the flippers & kickers work when hit and the roulette wheel stays on constant. The ramp coil releases. Plug that back in and all reverses. So although I've read about the ground mod on Pinwiki for these, I took both groupings apart and all look clean and making contact, and this looks like they are working (Could do the mod, but don't think this is the main issue). The boards do NOT have the individual grounds as I've seen in other posts. I have NOT checked the large capacitor on the ground/transformer baord. (I need the manual / schematics and will get those ordered today from Steve)

There is no "Re-set" board, someone had already removed it. From reading past posts, for home use, this is not mandatory - correct?

I did lightly press on the daughter board - to check for possible solder joint issues, but no changes and "seems tight" but can't visually check, but again, no changes as pressed. PROM's bad??

On the Display board, I do notice someone had replaced "C4", but "C2" looks funky??? Again from reading Pinwiki and past posts on these systems, the display board handles a little more, so possibly this is keeping her from booting up?

From the CPU connector - A1-J2, the cable splits and goes to the display board and another 9 pin connector (see photo). This connector is not labeled, but next to the one labeled A9-P1 / A9-J1). "Sometimes" (why it's sporadic?) when I unplug that connector - I get the attract music and GI's lighting.

"Sometimes" the topper lights all work as well..it's all very sporadic overall....

Going to have friend and mentor go over the boards, but thought I'd ask here for any tips or irregularities anyone sees that I may be able to fix on my own - or things to even check for. I see the small "stars" on the boards - are these TP's or ground spots? Which location and what readings should I be seeing at the various locations? Such as the large cap on the ground/transformer board, or the 5v small board with the heat sink? I see the pot to adjust, but where do I check actual voltage?

Sorry for all the questions, but thought I'd lay all the issues out there as I see them...Hope the photos help some.

IMG_1175 (resized).jpgIMG_1175 (resized).jpgIMG_1177 (resized).jpgIMG_1177 (resized).jpgIMG_1178 (resized).jpgIMG_1178 (resized).jpgIMG_1179 (resized).jpgIMG_1179 (resized).jpgIMG_1176 (resized).jpgIMG_1176 (resized).jpgIMG_1180 (resized).jpgIMG_1180 (resized).jpgIMG_1184 (resized).jpgIMG_1184 (resized).jpgIMG_1172 (resized).jpgIMG_1172 (resized).jpg
#3 3 years ago

Removed all the boards, sent out for inspection and repairs.

Weird item of note - with "ALL" boards removed out of the backbox, I powered her up and the GI still lit and the Ramp Coil still fired and stayed on.

I thought this (all?) coil went thru the driver board? I'm starting to clean and inspect her inside and out, so maybe I'll find some hacks in here causing this - unless it's supposed to?

IMG_1189 (resized).jpgIMG_1189 (resized).jpgIMG_1190 (resized).jpgIMG_1190 (resized).jpg
#6 3 years ago

Clean looking job there Nice. Thanks for the help guys!

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from the9gman:

just an idea of how I do the mods ,seems to work good. The terminal strip in the head allows for easy board removal
[quoted image][quoted image]

I see the boards with the added ground wires attached to the grounding strip (as opposed to the heat sink which I understood wasn't the best idea)- but is the strip also grounded to say the main ground braid? (Sorry, couldn't see that part, but the rest looks great!) Thanks again for the help.

Boards are now in competent hands (out of mine!) and the clean up begins. Cant wait to get this one playing!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Las Vegas, NV
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Nikrox2.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/monte-carlo-sys80b-help-needed?tu=Nikrox2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.