(Topic ID: 271464)

Montana Gold Acrylic Professional Spray Paint ???

By Playdium

47 days ago

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Playdium
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_8747 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8741 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8735 (resized).jpg
    DDBC10DD-7071-432F-AC58-9291976B29FE (resized).jpeg
    55BF89A8-96F8-4962-B7DE-D656921D303B (resized).jpeg
    98E981B8-AD84-497A-B106-90C50A095315 (resized).jpeg
    E97E737E-1760-410D-AC4C-F2F65B66E107 (resized).jpeg

#1 47 days ago

Has anyone used this paint for cabinets? Quality, coverage, primer type?

#2 47 days ago

Montana makes great paint as does Molotow and Ironlak. They have ton of pigment so you don't need to spray heavy. I have found them to be compatible with most of the primers around if you need one.

2 weeks later
    #3 27 days ago
    Quoted from Xenon75:

Montana makes great paint as does Molotow and Ironlak. They have ton of pigment so you don't need to spray heavy. I have found them to be compatible with most of the primers around if you need one.

I am thinking of using an oil based primer on the cabinet, such as Zinnser. I've been using it for years for interior painting around the house.

#4 27 days ago

Montana is good paint most of it is like a semi flat though so you might have to play with a clear coat to get it to the desired sheen

#5 27 days ago
    Quoted from KongDonkey:

Montana is good paint most of it is like a semi flat though so you might have to play with a clear coat to get it to the desired sheen

Molotow is the same, a bit on the satin side.

2 weeks later
    #6 10 days ago
    Quoted from KongDonkey:

Montana offers a clear varnish. Is this compatible with their "Gold" spray paint? What clear have people used in the past with great success?

#7 10 days ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

Montana offers a clear varnish. Is this compatible with their "Gold" spray paint? What clear have people used in the past with great success?

Clear lacquer would be my go-to if you have spray equipment. Not sure I'd want to try anything with "varnish" in the product name, due to potential yellowing of the application over time.

#8 7 days ago

Montana paints are what I use. Great pigment and almost impossible to get them to run. They work great with Pinball Pimp stencils.

They will come out matte. I use Minwax polycrylic semi gloss to even the sheen and smooth the finish. Works great.

#9 7 days ago

I did my Quicksilver build cab with Montana gold cans. Be sure to change up the caps to get your desired spray, the included cap is very low flow and makes a base coat difficult to get even. That said, overall MUCH better than the Rustoleum I used on my old Black Jack. If you don’t have spray equipment and don’t want any (like me), I’d recommend them.

Now, I also tried to use the spray varnish (based on all reviews and their own statements, it is non-yellowing) and again, an even coat was a total pain in the ass. After 6 cans, I kind of gave up and declared “it is what it is”

#10 7 days ago

98E981B8-AD84-497A-B106-90C50A095315 (resized).jpeg55BF89A8-96F8-4962-B7DE-D656921D303B (resized).jpegE97E737E-1760-410D-AC4C-F2F65B66E107 (resized).jpegDDBC10DD-7071-432F-AC58-9291976B29FE (resized).jpeg

#11 7 days ago

I have my first coat of base color down on the cabinet. I did purchase several #5, and #6 caps which give an amazing high rate of volume coverage. I will apply the second coat today to level and fill it in. I am very apprehensive in applying a clear coat product due to what was mentioned earlier, and how the quality of rattle can coverage is. I too have had similar problems with Rustoleum clear in the past. You can't get a flat finish on such a large area.
    I am happy with the pigment of this paint. I do see the caps get build up while spraying though. One video recommends placing your finger at the rear of the cap, rather than directly on center. Just something to be aware of.

#12 7 days ago

I find the caps retain a lot off build up as shown. Am I at fault for this? Cans shaken for 5 minutes, paint applied at 12" from surface. I tried the single can method and wasn't crazy about the look on the long panels of the cab. So I tried the 2 can method and same occurred.
    The 2 can method I found on youtube. Holding 2 cans with hands against each other with slightly different angle.

Does the Polycrillic Semi help flatten out this area?

IMG_8735 (resized).jpg
    #13 7 days ago

OK, second coat was applied today and the frustration level is building. Can someone tell me why in some areas the paint has this sand like texture, and smooth in others? I'll have to let this sit for a week and lightly try to sand it out with 400 grit.

Again, cans are shaken for 5 minutes prior to application. Area was smooth prior to second coat. #4 Montana cap used for 2nd coat.

IMG_8741 (resized).jpg
    #14 7 days ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

OK, second coat was applied today and the frustration level is building. Can someone tell me why in some areas the paint has this sand like texture, and smooth in others? I'll have to let this sit for a week and lightly try to sand it out with 400 grit.
    Again, cans are shaken for 5 minutes prior to application. Area was smooth prior to second coat. #4 Montana cap used for 2nd coat.
    [quoted image]

Looks like application reaction. We're you within the guidelines for re-application? Each product is a little different but it is typically within the first hour or after 48 hours.

#15 6 days ago

The can doesn't state re-application times, but says completely cured in 6-8 hours. I waited several days to apply the second coat.

#16 6 days ago

Make sure you are not spraying too far away so the solvent doesn’t evaporate.

I do one application. Light coat wait 5 minutes. Medium coat wait 5 minutes. Last coat if needed — done. No sanding.

You want enough paint so it smooths out but not too much so it runs.

Also — what is your technique? Always maintain a wet edge with 50% overlap as you go.

Here are some possible reasons: https://www.hometalk.com/16959183/q-rough-sandpapery-feel-to-spray-paint

#17 6 days ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

[quoted image]

I had the same issue. The Montana paints are great but they dry really fast. If you are too far away when spraying you’ll get the sandy texture.
    I now spray about 6 inches away and do several light coats and haven’t had any problems.

#18 6 days ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

Make sure you are not spraying too far away so the solvent doesn’t evaporate.
    I do one application. Light coat wait 5 minutes. Medium coat wait 5 minutes. Last coat if needed — done. No sanding.
    You want enough paint so it smooths out but not enough so it runs.
    Also — what is your technique? Always maintain a wet edge with 50% overlap as you go.
    Here are some possible reasons: https://www.hometalk.com/16959183/q-rough-sandpapery-feel-to-spray-paint

My first coat was to cover entire surface with 50% overlap. I kept the can 12" away form the surface, which after reading the comments, may be the issue I have. The paint is drying too quickly without enough coverage.
    Second coat the same, but with the idea to completely level out the area.
    I will change up my approach and apply several coats minutes apart as you stated.
    Thank you very much for your input.

#19 6 days ago
    Quoted from Vandy89:

I had the same issue. The Montana paints are great but they dry really fast. If you are too far away when spraying you’ll get the sandy texture.
    I now spray about 6 inches away and do several light coats and haven’t had any problems.

Thanks, will try that next.

#20 6 days ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

My first coat was to cover entire surface with 50% overlap. I kept the can 12" away form the surface, which after reading the comments, may be the issue I have. The paint is drying too quickly without enough coverage.
    Second coat the same, but with the idea to completely level out the area.
    I will change up my approach and apply several coats minutes apart as you stated.
    Thank you very much for your input.

6" away for best results... gotta keep that spray nozzle moving though!!!

#21 1 day ago

Thanks to dr_nybble, Vandy89, and Dono. I sanded down the cabinet and re-applied the top coat as instructed. I am very happy with the results. I used the #6 cap they offer which provides maximum coverage. Now onto paint splatter.

IMG_8747 (resized).jpg
    Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 9,099.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 25.99
    Playfield - Other
    Lee's Parts
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 14.95
    $ 86.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 135.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 55.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Creo Pinball
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 89.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 10.00
    $ 159.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    Various Other Swag
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 9.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 49.95
    Playfield - Plastics
    MicksPinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside