(150 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

EatADickHazoff.jpg
StupidHazoffMBisbetterthanSTLE.jpg
SawyerSaysFYouHazoffjpg.jpg
no class.jpg
vader-kills-the-emperor-o.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swf127.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Hi,

I saw a comment in another thread comparing these two pins. I've played STLE quite a bit but have logged less than maybe 20 games on MB. My impression of MB is it's popular because it makes excellent use of an awesome theme but it wasn't mind-blowing. I don't feel I've played it enough to have an educated opinion and figured I'd reach out to those of you that do. Which pin do you prefer and why?

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If after 20 games you don't find Monster Bash to be your thing then honestly it probably won't ever be.

Potentially true.. My tastes run the gamut so I like to have different pins with different styles together. Trying to balance a collection is harder than I would have expected a priori. I just like to clock in 50+ games on a machine before I form an opinion even though I'm not a "rule depth is critical" kind of guy. I think that EBD and MA are both rockin' games and their rule sets are simple.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

However there is a B/W love club alive and well on pinside who just seem to want Stern to fail and nothing to be made that will ever topple the elite B/W pins

Quoted from MinusWorlds:

It actually is possible to LOVE both. They are not mutually exclusive dude.

I don't care who makes what. Anything you build needs to stand on it's own. Those types of biases aren't useful, I agree.

Quoted from jwo825:

Pick the one that has the most appealing theme to you.

Quoted from jwo825:

I think MB has better toys and I think ST has more combinations of switches to hit on order to score (read, deep ruleset)

Thanks for the feedback.. I didn't think the ruleset of ST was that deep but maybe I just haven't dug into it enough. Knowing next to nothing about MB, I should go find a good review of the game and rules.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Sorry I misspelled douche. That better?

Part dude, part touche but stronger than both! (We need an Underworld pin now)

#32 9 years ago

MB has gotten some serious love in the past 30 minutes. Thanks for your vote (and opinions). Keep 'em coming!

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

STLE is all over the place; plays tremendous, feels good with its flow, sounds are great, warp ramp is overly addicting. The problem with STLE is it's current ruleset is stale which doesn't give it that last ability factor.

I agree with this. I think the game play is great but I agree the rule set seems a little stale.. I think part of the problem is I've never dug into them in detail, but there doesn't seem to be enough of a difference between the modes for them to feel different.

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Mario Andretti? Just checking, as I don't see that game referenced very often!

I was talking about Mousin' Around. I've logged a few games on Mario Andretti and it seemed pretty good.

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Level 2 and 3 is where the differences are. The nice thing is, you're not obligated to do all Level 1's first - even though most seem to take this route. Try to play thru all 3 episodes of one mode before doing the others....they feel pretty different.

I didn't realize that was an option. I've just always gone for Captain's Chair. Thanks for the tip!

Quoted from Hazoff:

I hope your dog dies,

A douche says what?

#70 9 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Yeesh! Mario Andretti is one of the worst pins I've ever played.

I've played WAY worse. I thought the spinning bumper in the middle of the playfield added some interesting randomness to it. Am I thinking about the wrong pin?

Quoted from Rarehero:

Yeah, so maybe you haven't even seen the Level 2 or 3s? Just select the same mode insert again after completing it, and you'll move ahead to Level 2 & 3. Lots of different stuff there.

Yea, I'll check it out. I usually complete the level-1 modes but don't think I've gotten past that. Glad to know there's more fun stuff in store. Thanks!

Quoted from rai:

Honestly, I believe these rules are more of a placeholder to get the game 100% playable while the nuances are being worked on for the updates.

That was my impression as well, but part of that is just being used to several code updates on a Stern before it's ready for prime time. I'm going to have to dig into it and try the modes in sequence. Fun stuff!

#72 9 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

I thought the spinning car in the middle of the playfield was the worst toy ever on a pin.

Hmm. The WORST toy? I've gotta think about this..

#76 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Unless you're really watching the DMD like a hawk, and who can keep the ball flowing and do that, you won't realize what's going on though.

I can't pay much attention to the DMD when I'm playing. I wish more pins put the DMD where it is on Cirqus.

#82 9 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

I also hate the goofy ball under the wireform cage at the lower left area of the CV playfield.

Quoted from Hazoff:

I removed it when I bought mine and it helped with overall flow.

I don't mind it. It's one of the things that add randomness to the game.

#86 9 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

I'd rather have a larger shot selection and cooler toys.

Example?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 75.00
Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swf127.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/monster-bash-vs-stle?tu=swf127 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.