(Topic ID: 280798)

Monster Bash Virtual Pinball 4k 120 Hz! Better than the real thing?

By Jonosborne

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

gingerballs (resized).png
20200903_200024 (resized).jpg
0BD9D541-0CFD-4DFF-BF36-52D7F529B9E8 (resized).jpeg
Add a subheading (resized).png
There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 3 years ago

The Zisworks panel supports 1080p 240 hz. Never tried it myself because 1080p on a 40” display looks bad!

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Thinking about this, it would seem an incredibly fast refresh rate would be more important than a high resolution. I wonder if anyone HAS built a vp cab with a 240Hz display?

#52 3 years ago

This is an excellent description of virtual pinball! Now add some VR in there and you’ve entered a new realm of playing!

Quoted from Bublehead:

VP has it's place in a Pinball collectors collection (space savings being the number 1 attraction) and NO, it does not replace real pinball, but damn if it does'nt "Supplement" it like a mofo.
I'll give you a little late night scenario- Your playing your nice restored Black Knight 2000 with some friends when one says "I heard there was an older machine that this is based on? And you say, yes, the OG BK, want to try that one? You walk over to your VP cabinet scroll through all your tables, punch up OG BK and take a spin on this table... What your friends will get is, wow, I see the similarity, and the progression from this machine to BK2K, what a great shooter, no wonder it was popular back in 1980.
Now was it 100% like playing an OG '80 BK? no, but it is definitely "close enough" these days to let you get your nostalgia on, have some fun, and share all the experiences of the old stuff, some of which you may never actually see in the wild, and I think it really adds to the pin playing experience. Is it like the real machine?, NO, but it is close enough now to make you feel good ruling the universe, because one thing every pin head loves is having an awesome game where you walk away, adrenaline pumping, rapid breathing, and a true sense of accomplishment. VP can give you that feeling now and it feels pretty damn good.

#53 3 years ago

I would pick up the AFM 1 Up and mod it with a 4k 144 hz display with a kl25z and a few nice force feedback options. I will probably do the same!

Quoted from Palmer:

Nope. Physics are not even close even with VPX. Sorry but they are not. The POV is fixed which looks cool when you are shooting it on a camera in a fixed position. The illusion breaks when you start moving your head. Every game I have seen is waaaaay too bright like it is surrounded by pinstadiums. It doesn't help that a screen only emits lights while playfield can emit AND reflect light. Simulated lighting like flashers is decent but does not compare to light coming from the actual point on the playfield as opposed to the perimeter. Ball looks weird at times like it is too large. The width to length ratio of pinball playfields vary but universally are longer compared to 16:9 playfield. The POV is used to compensate for this but the screen is still shorter so it breaks the illusion.
Those are just the ones off the top of my head. Virtual pinball is great. I was part of a small group that pushed towards actual vpin cabinets and helped with the development of the original hyperpin front end. I would still like one in my house one day but I have a hard time choosing one over a real game. Will probably pick up an Arcade1up AFM and put it in a place where a normal pin cannot fit in my game room.

#54 3 years ago

Itms also worth noting that physics are gpu and cpu-dependent, so it’s not really as simple as saying “physics are bad,” when instead it should be “my cpu/gpu are incapable of giving my mind what it needs to compute a realistic physic model.

Quoted from Jonosborne:

I would pick up the AFM 1 Up and mod it with a 4k 144 hz display with a kl25z and a few nice force feedback options. I will probably do the same!

#55 3 years ago

Well said, my friend. Finally someone who understands this in not a sub-par machine. You’re welcome any time.

Quoted from pinlink:

You're just gonna get a bunch of haters who have never played anything closer to the level of build you have claiming that they've tried VP and "it sucks!"
What you've built looks truly amazing and I'd love to try it out sometime with an open mind.

#56 3 years ago

#57 3 years ago

Not quite the same but if you gut it and put some better quality electronics, a high res screen and a PC into it you’d have a pretty cool machine!

#58 3 years ago

More of a fyi.

#59 3 years ago

Yes I’ve been following those closely and will definitely be picking one up in the coming months just for fun (hint, they will be awful).

8 months later
#60 2 years ago

I suppose I shouldn't make a comment until I play a VP machine but how much incremental reality might be gained with 3d glasses with, of course, a screen projecting in 3D? For those of us already wearing glasses, maybe it wouldn't be too uncomfortable to place something over our glasses. Maybe there's already something out there? Improving the ball physics is a separate matter.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 75.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 72.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/monster-bash-virtual-pinball-4k-120-hz-better-than-the-real-thing/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.