Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 68 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by taylor34
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 11 years ago

I should have brought it Steve, plus a box of Future Bake double chocolate chip cookies.

#52 11 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

No myth. It's the gateway to the multi-billion point games. Definitely one of the most difficult stacks in pinball. There's a very specific order you can hit the shots in to keep everything going, but not complete them and shut one monster off before you start them all.
I've always said that if you haven't gotten a Big 6 stack then you're not allowed to call MB 'too easy.'

+1 Million

Most 'easy' callers don't even know about the 6 stack...which makes their easy assessment even funnier

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's the hardest stack on any pinball I've played.

I've owned the game since 99 and haven't done it yet

#53 11 years ago
Quoted from Zaxxis:

The order itself doesn't matter, you just need to stop progressing on each monster until you are ready. Hopefully you get some lucky pops action to get Mummy lit without starting Wolfman yet. Once you are ready, hit everything once and hit frank to start multiball. If you accidentally start one, don't worry just play normally and relight it again.
Gameplay wise, it's identical to setting up the Billion point hurry up on AFM.
The typical setup of MB makes an easy game. Turn off the ball save, EBs and remove your outlanes and it'll be a much tougher game.

The order does matter, in that obviously Frank has to be last. ANd Mummy cannot be one of the first or second monsters you start, or you will aquire his bass while finishing the shots to start the other monsters (happened to me many times). That and starting the Bride early, with the easy time extender shot, are I guess the only order necessary if you hit each shot exactly as you'd like. It's very difficult.

#54 11 years ago

This game in real life is more difficult to hit the creature (not THAT difficult, just more difficult) and the left ramp that is identical to the LotR left ramp is not successful every time you hit it like in emulation. Makes a pretty big difference when playing a real game. In contrast I'm pretty OK on real life MM, but I flat suck at emulation.

#55 11 years ago

Absolutely love it!!!Saving my pennies for one as I type this.Scott

#56 11 years ago

I just love seeing the Mummy punch the archaeologist in the face.

#57 11 years ago

Disclaimer: The following is my opinion only, and means squat to anyone but me.

Like I said originally, MB is a great game (top ten? debatable, but an awesome pin for sure), but in a small collection, it does get old fast, and for what it's worth, I managed to get more play value from selling it than keeping it. The same happened with MM (call me crazy?).

Now, in regards to making the game harder. I did as suggested, playing the game not as designed (removing out lanes, white rubber, steeper pitch, etc.) and the game immediately lost one of it's attractions. Kids and newbies did not like it anymore. They got destroyed, and games lasted under 2 minutes. Basically turned it into a 'not fun' game for everyone else but me. I found I could not strike a good balance between hard and easy.

Quoted from Monster_Bash:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's the hardest stack on any pinball I've played.

I think the hardest stack I've ever tried to achieve is in Addams Family. Mamushka, Cousin It, Raise the Dead, Graveyard at max and then starting multi, all running at the same time. What makes it hard is getting all the modes running at the same time and having the right ones lit at the mansion and enough bear kicks to have multiple modes start at the same time (making consecutive bear kicks).

Once again, all my own opinion, and I appreciate everyone else's input.

#58 11 years ago

I love the game, but yeah, it's pretty easy. The game is a real crowd pleasing masterpiece, however. I'd love to add one to my collection, but I have a good number of machines. If I only had 2-3 machines, it would probably not be deep enough for me to keep around in the long term. I've been on the lookout for one, but they are cost prohibitive.

#59 11 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

Disclaimer: The following is my opinion only, and means squat to anyone but me.
Like I said originally, MB is a great game (top ten? debatable, but an awesome pin for sure), but in a small collection, it does get old fast, and for what it's worth, I managed to get more play value from selling it than keeping it. The same happened with MM (call me crazy?).
Now, in regards to making the game harder. I did as suggested, playing the game not as designed (removing out lanes, white rubber, steeper pitch, etc.) and the game immediately lost one of it's attractions. Kids and newbies did not like it anymore. They got destroyed, and games lasted under 2 minutes. Basically turned it into a 'not fun' game for everyone else but me. I found I could not strike a good balance between hard and easy.

I think the hardest stack I've ever tried to achieve is in Addams Family. Mamushka, Cousin It, Raise the Dead, Graveyard at max and then starting multi, all running at the same time. What makes it hard is getting all the modes running at the same time and having the right ones lit at the mansion and enough bear kicks to have multiple modes start at the same time (making consecutive bear kicks).
Once again, all my own opinion, and I appreciate everyone else's input.

How about simple adjustment of making it 4 ball for kids/visitors and then when you play it, make it a 2 ball game??

#60 11 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

How about simple adjustment of making it 4 ball for kids/visitors and then when you play it, make it a 2 ball game??

When it was set up hard, my family did not play it all. I dont think it would have made a difference how many balls they had, if your shots were not pretty much perfect, you drained. I would try it, but no longer own the game.

And the other thing that started to bug me about it was the 'Monster Bash' song every. single. game. That got old. "Gotta get it while you caaaaaan."

#61 11 years ago

I play pinball for recreation, so the “fun factory” is what I’m most interested in. MB has a great theme with well integrated toys, music, artwork, lighting, and humor. Like the other crazy expensive 90’s “A title” fan layouts, it’s lacking in terms of the rule set. Who cares? Is it fun to play? I think so. If you want to buy a machine that you’ll never beat unless you’re a PAPA camp, then buy TSPP or something else. I do agree that MB is easy compared to TZ and some other machines, but it’s more fun to play IMO (not that my opinion matters). Look at it this way, if you get a MB and don’t like it you’ll be able to sell it pretty quickly and most likely for what you paid.

#62 11 years ago

What's with the DMD animations? Some of them look amazing (the Creature and Frankenstein sequences come to mind) and others look pretty bad (disco Dracula).

#63 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Exactly. All this talk of MB being too easy is ridiculous! Seriously people there are tons of ways to make it more difficult if that's what you want.
They had MB at the It Never Drains in Southern California Tournament. Guess what? I promise you that players were not complaining that MB was too easy or that the ball times were too long!
Also, how many who complain MB is too easy have stacked all six Monsters and had them running at the same to achieve one of the hardest ultimate stacks in all of pinball? Please, raise your hands now! I'm sure tons of people have done it regularly because, after all, MB is just so easy!

I did, exactly ONE time. Didn't even realize I had done it, then I was like, "WHOA!" There is timing to it, wherein you have to get different monsters in a certain order, or your time will run out. Obviously, you also have to get Frank last.

As others have said, you can set it up easy. Default settings are too easy, with the extra ball lighting at 3 monsters started. Yeah, then it's easy. Turn that off, it starts getting harder.

Play with NO monster bombs (forcing you to get all the shots), and it is MUCH harder.

The Bride has had me ripping what little hair I have left on my head out too many times to count. It would be one thing if you could hit the left ramp from the left flipper like you can on the iPad. It doesn't work that way in real life, at least not on my machine, and completing her is a real challenge. At least for me.

Also as others have said - this game is FUN. In fact, I rate it the single most fun machine ever made. The music is fantastic, the comedy is stellar. I always laugh when the Bride says of Frank, "I hear he's got a monstrous organ." And that's just one of the awesome lines.

I am very blessed to have one. Out of all the machines I've had (and you can look at my collection to see what all has come in and out over the years), MB is the machine I will never ever sell. It's the greatest pinball machine ever made in my opinion.

#64 11 years ago

A big thing that makes the game immensely harder is putting it in Tourney mode. Other than removing extra balls, it removes all the random awards from the scoop, the scoop will only award 75k every shot.

#65 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

So it is super easy to beat the MoR or is it hard? It's very easy, but takes an hour to get there? Don't know if I follow that.
Some people would say they like the fact you have to complete the modes to get MoR. "Dammit, missed the microphone, gotta shoot Bride 6 more times to start plus more to finish..."
Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

It is not incredibly hard to get to MOR. It doesn't take an hour to get there, not even close. On Pin_Crazed's MB, I completed 2 MOR and was on my way to a 3rd and it maybe took 30 minutes. You can ask Pin_Crazed how long it took...he was waiting to play next. With MB, it isn't about getting to the wizard mode, it is about how much farther you can take it after that and how many times you can get there after that initial time.

#66 11 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

It is not incredibly hard to get to MOR. It doesn't take an hour to get there, not even close.

That was why i was confused.

#67 11 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

#3 Things Chicks Hate (i.e. if it's something your wife/girlfriend rolls their eyes about, it's definitely worth more)

I think that sort of works inversely. Almost all of the A list games (MM, AFM, MB, TOM, TOTAN, etc) have more family friendly themes that anyone can dig.

When you get to the games that are violent (JD), sexy (Playboy) or both (BSD) they don't command quite as much.

#68 11 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I think that sort of works inversely. Almost all of the A list games (MM, AFM, MB, TOM, TOTAN, etc) have more family friendly themes that anyone can dig.
When you get to the games that are violent (JD), sexy (Playboy) or both (BSD) they don't command quite as much.

I don't think that any of those themes are 'chick friendly' except TOM and TOTAN...and chicks hate monty python, scifi, and monsters more than magic and genies, hence why they're worth more. Girls hate Tron, LOTR, Family Guy, etc but love Monopoly, Rollercoaster tycoon, wheel of fortune, etc. Look at the values. I'm not saying that rule in particular holds true all the time, but you can bet that x-men will hold value as chicks hate x-men.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Boards
PinSound

$ 75.00
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 72.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/monster-bash-too-easy/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.