Attach31699_20190215_111010 (resized).jpg
Attach31668_20190215_101304 (resized).jpg
Attach31700_20190215_111010 (resized).jpg
A94C2C60-B86A-4F19-9C2D-1832AC6C0EDD (resized).jpeg
15A46AF2-C825-44A4-BF73-71BE44059EC2 (resized).jpeg
191C7E66-2019-41D0-9FFC-E94465E30074 (resized).jpeg
794E80BA-75C2-4437-B614-8E174F574A99 (resized).jpeg
#1 5 years ago

All right. Let's hear what the community thinks. The two titles to compare are in the subject. Tell me your opinion - if you could buy one and ONLY one - which one and why? I'm trying to decide which I want to spring for - influence me one way or the other. Help me spend my money.

*Karate Kid's You're the Best Around music begins*

GO!

#2 5 years ago

Very limited time on both of them but i like MBR the best. You should put up a poll. This will be interesting to see what everyone says. The SE model is sweeeeet!

#3 5 years ago

Poll?

#4 5 years ago

this is a good one. Damn. poll for sure. Many will say SS is simple and it is but damn it's fun. I haven't had enough time on MB yet but I suspect it will be a little more "deep" although both are shallow.

#5 5 years ago

Not a huge fan of SS... maybe I have not put enough time on one. I do love the MBr SE at the Garcade in Menomonee Falls.

#6 5 years ago

I need a poll cause I don’t like using words. In fact this has been too many. Need more bourbon

#7 5 years ago

Having owned both I can honestly say MB.

#8 5 years ago

Guessing we're comparing a 20+ yo routed and unrestored SS vs NIB MB. I'd pick MB because it's new. Restored or new SS, I'll take the SS!

#9 5 years ago

I would take a Scared Stiff that was used for breeding Guinea Pigs before a NIB Moster Bash LE.

#10 5 years ago

I prefer MB.

#11 5 years ago

SS for the win!

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

if you could buy one and ONLY one - which one and why?

Both simple games, but monster bash by a mile for me. Stacking all the monsters and the progression through the game is great fun. Yeah sure it’s on the shallow side of code, but so are most games from that era. Great replay value. Truly one of the best games.

Scared stiff is just way too easy and too simple. Great art and callouts (eventhough the theme is terrible), but that’s about it. You’ll be bored to tears in less than 100 games. Imo, it’s one of the most overrated games ever.

#13 5 years ago

I have both a MB and SS. You could go either way and win out. I lean toward the SS but thats just me. SS is not too easy if you play it for all that it is. There are five separate ways to earn an extra ball. The Skill Shot is a real skill shot that requires a delicate touch to achieve. (MB's skill shot is a joke) Spider Champion is very difficult and fun to achieve. The Secret Passage is an absolute god shot. The cabinet artwork is an example of the finest artwork in pinball by Greg Feres. (my favorite artist) I did a couple of things to my game that made it much more challenging. I went with Glow in the Dark flipper rubbers that are extremely bouncy making it more difficult to trap and control the ball. (the game kicks my ass on a regular basis) I am an average player. I don't see either one of these games leaving my game room anytime soon.

#14 5 years ago

Poll added! Vote and let's see how it stacks up. If I do go SS, I plan to add the DeadHead eye light-up mod myself for sure. Ok, how about this to stir some discussion up: availability.

MBrSE will be produced for years, but not too many SS - especially if you find one is unfaded condition. PFs can be swapped - that doesn't scare me, but cabinet art.....well, that's a tall order. The one I'm considering looks unblemished.

Anyways, added some details to my thought process to stir the pot (in a good way).

Continue!!!!

#15 5 years ago

I mean if the deal for SS is great, you’ll be able to flip it no problem. Play it, make it nice, sell it and get the better game for cheaper if you make out on SS.

I passed up getting one in the past due to my dislike for it, but it would’ve been easier to sell than my sopranos which I was offered a SS in trade for.

#16 5 years ago

There are a lot of cool must have mods for SS besides the obvious ones ( color dmd, Prosound, PDI Glass, Armor ect)
The glow kit is cool, dancing boogie men,
Skull pile led kit, just a few. SS had a lot of issues with stuff that broke easy. Boney Beast Ramp at the spider hole. ( need the extra thick ramp) crate, ( get metal one) slings ( very unique easily broken)
The must have with SS is the unfaded original cabinet!

191C7E66-2019-41D0-9FFC-E94465E30074 (resized).jpeg191C7E66-2019-41D0-9FFC-E94465E30074 (resized).jpeg794E80BA-75C2-4437-B614-8E174F574A99 (resized).jpeg794E80BA-75C2-4437-B614-8E174F574A99 (resized).jpeg

#17 5 years ago

A must have for Monster Bash is a Polk Audio psw10 subwoofer. $89.99 at Amazon. It’s plug and play to your base speaker. It will shake the house!

15A46AF2-C825-44A4-BF73-71BE44059EC2 (resized).jpeg15A46AF2-C825-44A4-BF73-71BE44059EC2 (resized).jpegA94C2C60-B86A-4F19-9C2D-1832AC6C0EDD (resized).jpegA94C2C60-B86A-4F19-9C2D-1832AC6C0EDD (resized).jpeg
#18 5 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

There are a lot of cool must have mods for SS besides the obvious ones ( color dmd, Prosound, PDI Glass, Armor ect)
The glow kit is cool, dancing boogie men,
Skull pile led kit, just a few. SS had a lot of issues with stuff that boke easy. Boney Beast Ramp at the spider hole. ( need the extra thick ramp) crate, ( get metal one) slings ( very unique easily broken)
The must have with SS is the unfaded original cabinet!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Get the mod father coin door to finish that badboy off. Those just decals on the legs?

#19 5 years ago

Have you played both of them? Which one do you like better?

#20 5 years ago

Owned both (the original MB) and not really all that close. Scared Stiff got old very fast. Monster Bash held my interest for much longer. SS is probably a better collectable and investment though. Remakes are nothing special and unlikely to go up in value. SS will probably keep going up (unless remade itself).

#21 5 years ago

MB remake.

#22 5 years ago

I love both of these games but if they are both selling around the same price I’m going to go with MB especially if you can get a brand new MBR. I’d love to own a SS, and my wife would love it too, but the prices on it, just like many others have just got out of hand for me.

Now if SS was a few thousand less I’m taking SS! If you find some sort of deal on SS I’d do that otherwise MB.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

Get the mod father coin door to finish that badboy off. Those just decals on the legs?

No I airbrushed the slime then clear coated the legs. The legs were just black powder coated.

#24 5 years ago

MB... if you set it up hard.

Way too many extra balls on factory setting.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#25 5 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

MB... if you set it up hard.
Way too many extra balls on factory setting.

Even with stock settings and adding a 1 ball save I've only made it once to Monsters of Rock- the "Lost in the Zone" of Monster Bash, as it were.
Stacking all 3 multis in BSD I did more than this- a game everyone rates as "hard."

MB's rep is way understated as "easy" relative to this accomplishment.

Yes if you judge it on "monster bash" mode then, sure the game is easy unless tweaked without outlanes, ball save, extra balls etc..

#26 5 years ago

Your going to find that most people on here are for MB. Scared Stiff is kind of unloved on here. The values according Mr. Pinball have been a rollercoaster for SS for some reason. Maybe because there are so many player condition games out there. SS is played a lot! But so is MB. It is tough to find a nice low play original MB too. With your choice being the remake, not a problem getting a nice new game. I don't see CGC remaking SS at the moment, but if the values climb, that can always change!

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Both simple games, but monster bash by a mile for me. Stacking all the monsters and the progression through the game is great fun. Yeah sure it’s on the shallow side of code, but so are most games from that era. Great replay value. Truly one of the best games.
Scared stiff is just way too easy and too simple. Great art and callouts (eventhough the theme is terrible), but that’s about it. You’ll be bored to tears in less than 100 games. Imo, it’s one of the most overrated games ever.

You lost me at "theme is terrible".

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

You lost me at "theme is terrible".

Everyone lost me at “Elvira is a Theme”

So what is Elvira anyway? From what I understand and have seen, she was the MC of a late night campy horror show where you’d watch a movie and she’d pop in with terrible jokes during it full of sexual enuendos.

To me, that’s a terrible theme. There are funny callouts in SS that would be funny with or without Elvira.

The biggest issue with scared stiff is the gameplay though for me.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

They can't all be winners like your WWF

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

You’re 100% right.

#31 5 years ago

MB is one of my favorite games but SS is my favorite game period. I have what I consider a mid-sized collection (16 pins), so if I want a longer game I try for Rule the Universe on AFM or Lost in the Zone on TZ or Collect Everything on IJ. When I just want to have fun I play SS (or CFTBL or ToM or BBB).

#32 5 years ago

These are my 2 favorite "shallow" games....ones that I never grow tired of even though they're both easy. I would lean towards MBR SE just because it looks so gorgeous and that way if CGC remakes SS at some point in the future you can pick up a new one rather than a beat up one.

#33 5 years ago

If it was, "new" vs "new" I think that would be more difficult.

I think you probably know what to do here.

#34 5 years ago

Both games are great and I enjoyed owning both but after a month of each I was done forever. The call outs are tedious on both after 100 plays easy for me more like 20 but if I had to choose MB.

#35 5 years ago

I've had both for a long time, over ten years. MB is the better game, but I ain't selling SS anytime soon.....

#36 5 years ago

If Elvira catches your interest maybe wait til this #3 comes out that everyone keeps talking about? In the mean time you can purchase the better game and get a MB

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Bwaaaa haaaa haaaaa haaaa.....now thats funny i dont care who you are!

Man Scared Stiff is taking a “Monster” beating in this poll!

#38 5 years ago

Yeah? Guess what machine he bought?

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Yeah? Guess what machine he bought?

Yes, Scared Stiff did win. The big reason is the one I found has a cabinet in solid condition (read: all reds still intact). I agree with everyone - MB is the better game; HOWEVER, finding a solid Scared Stiff is rare, and Game Exchange had a great looking unit that I was able to get for a Pinside-equal price. As of now, SS is not being re-made, and I can buy a MBr-SE at will even a couple years from now.

I thoroughly have enjoyed everyone's responses and opinions. I asked for the community's inputs as I wanted to hear from everyone in case someone provided an input that may have changed my mind. So, later this week, I'm getting all sorts of Scared Stiff : ).

MBr will come in due time....!

Attach31668_20190215_101304 (resized).jpgAttach31668_20190215_101304 (resized).jpgAttach31699_20190215_111010 (resized).jpgAttach31699_20190215_111010 (resized).jpgAttach31700_20190215_111010 (resized).jpgAttach31700_20190215_111010 (resized).jpgAttach31701_20190215_111010 (resized).jpgAttach31701_20190215_111010 (resized).jpg

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Yes, Scared Stiff did win. The big reason is the one I found has a cabinet in solid condition (read: all reds still intact). I agree with everyone - MB is the better game; HOWEVER, finding a solid Scared Stiff is rare, and Game Exchange had a great looking unit that I was able to get for a Pinside-equal price. As of now, SS is not being re-made, and I can buy a MBr-SE at will even a couple years from now.
I thoroughly have enjoyed everyone's responses and opinions. I asked for the community's inputs as I wanted to hear from everyone in case someone provided an input that may have changed my mind. So, later this week, I'm getting all sorts of Scared Stiff : ).
MBr will come in due time....!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wise move. Your reasoning makes perfect sense.

#41 5 years ago

I had both at the same time ... both set up as difficult as possible. Ss lasted much longer than mb and i really enjoyed ss .....it has lots of neat features and i never beat the spider wheel. Both are fun pins with good themes but u did the right thing getting a nice condition ss for a decent price. You will always be able to get a huo mbrse down the road.

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Bwaaaa haaaa haaaaa haaaa.....now thats funny i dont care who you are!

Nice

#43 5 years ago

Good choice.
Wouldn't trade my players SS with faded cab for a NIB classic MB. But probably would trade for a NIB MB-SE.
And that's only because of the difference in value.

#44 5 years ago

I approve of this message.

Get the multi-colored eyeball mod for the skull pile.

#45 5 years ago

I agree with your choice as well. You will not lose money on SS and I challenge you not to let it go until you beat the spider MB. That's what I did - after beating it for everything else, I just played it for spider MB and after three weeks, I finally did it. SOB it was hard but so damn rewarding. SS is a great game. Once spider was done though, I was ready to say goodbye.

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

So what is Elvira anyway? From what I understand and have seen, she was the MC of a late night campy horror show where you’d watch a movie and she’d pop in with terrible jokes during it full of sexual enuendos.
To me, that’s a terrible theme. There are funny callouts in SS that would be funny with or without Elvira.
The biggest issue with scared stiff is the gameplay though for me.

That’s a reasonable explanation. Campy horror, a hot chick and sexual innuendos may seem like an odd pairing for some, but for me it’s awesome and perfect for pinball.

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

So, later this week, I'm getting all sorts of Scared Stiff : )

You need the Gory Eyeball Interactive Mod....Hopefully it has the Dancing Boogies and LED skulls and candle mods....

ss IMG_2133 (resized).JPGss IMG_2133 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#48 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

You need the Gory Eyeball Interactive Mod....Hopefully it has the Dancing Boogies and LED skulls and candle mods....
[quoted image]

Nope, got to add them all first. Building my own LED skulls and candle mods.

1 month later
#49 5 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

All right. Let's hear what the community thinks. The two titles to compare are in the subject. Tell me your opinion - if you could buy one and ONLY one - which one and why? I'm trying to decide which I want to spring for - influence me one way or the other. Help me spend my money.
*Karate Kid's You're the Best Around music begins*
GO!

Monster Bash for sure!!! Scared Stiff is cool, but too much breaks on it and it's constantly down. The MBR are bullet proof!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

$ 24.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

8,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weeki Wachee, FL
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.95
$ 33.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
£ 37.00
$ 249.00
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

£ 49.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Greeley, CO
£ 31.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/monster-bash-se-remake-vs-scared-stiff?hl=mrtattooz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.