now-this-mother-is-on-to-something (resized).jpg
aaaaaa (resized).PNG
fz9ga6 (resized).jpg
DSC00588 (resized).JPG
DSC00015 (resized).JPG
download (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
8B5ED479-7431-4990-A696-F652037FC63E (resized).png
There are 189 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 5 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Remake will be far superior to the original

Stop collaborate and listen

No

#102 5 years ago
fz9ga6 (resized).jpgfz9ga6 (resized).jpg
#103 5 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Nah, I don't buy that point. The playfield wood is much softer on the remakes. Therefore you will see much more and much deeper ball impact divots on the playfield. The clear coats on the remakes are different due to the chemical changes for environmental reasons (couple this with the softer PF wood and you get the drift). The boards are surface electronics. (throw away and get a new board IMHO) This coupled with JarbyJibbo's Cabinet assessment, makes the sturdier build quality argument weak at best.

Nice try but WRONG. The originals use balsa wood. The re-makes are produced with stronger plywood. So far we are seeing no ball divets as it is much too soon to even speculate on the front. But I get it. You are an original supporter and you will spin it your way. I get it. Fair enough.

#104 5 years ago
Quoted from FarFromHeaven26:

More
Nice try but WRONG. The originals use balsa wood. The re-makes are produced with stronger plywood. So far we are seeing no ball divets as it is much too soon to even speculate on the front. But I get it. You are an original supporter and you will spin it your way. I get it. Fair enough.

Uh no... I think your facts are mixed up

#105 5 years ago

Y’all shut up and go play pinball! Now dammit now!

#106 5 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

How many remakes do you own or owned? You are developing a rep on here my friend......

Actually this last answer from you tells me you are a gentleman and someone worth engaging with.

Well I am an old fart, still teaching at age 63 with a wife who is a Principal in the same NJ school. I have five kids ages 22, 21, 19, 18 and 16. Two of the three boys are huge pinball fans. Over the years I have owned the following machines:

Black Knight (sold)
Tales of the Arabian Knights (sold)
Monster Bash (original; sold)
Medieval Madness (original; sold)
White Water (owned twice; both now sold)
Theater of Magic (sold)
Indiana Jones (sold)
Twilight Zone (sold)
Congo (sold)
No Fear (sold)
Star Trek: The Next Generation (sold)
Bram Stoker's Dracula (sold)
Creature from the Black Lagoon (sold)
Lord of the Rings (sold)

The Addams Family (still owned)
Elvis (still owned)
Medieval Madness Re-make (still owned)
Gilligan's Island (mint condition and still owned; bought recently for a whopping 5200)

Coming in four weeks to my home:

The Wizard of Oz
Dialed In
Attack from Mars re-make

Coming in a few months when they are ready:

Monster Bash re-make

I also am determined to get IRON MAIDEN PREMIUM and BATMAN 66 when finances will allow it, and when CGC gets to it, CACTUS CANYON re-make.

As I say I will engage with you any time my friend in the interest of our great hobby.

#107 5 years ago

Actually this last answer from you tells me you are a gentleman and someone worth engaging with.
Well I am an old fart, still teaching at age 63 with a wife who is a Principal in the same NJ school. I have five kids ages 22, 21, 19, 18 and 16. Two of the three boys are huge pinball fans. Over the years I have owned the following machines:
Black Knight (sold)
Tales of the Arabian Knights (sold)
Monster Bash (original; sold)
Medieval Madness (original; sold)
White Water (owned twice; both now sold)
Theater of Magic (sold)
Indiana Jones (sold)
Twilight Zone (sold)
Congo (sold)
No Fear (sold)
Star Trek: The Next Generation (sold)
Bram Stoker's Dracula (sold)
Creature from the Black Lagoon (sold)
Lord of the Rings (sold)
The Addams Family (still owned)
Elvis (still owned)
Medieval Madness Re-make (still owned)
Gilligan's Island (mint condition and still owned; bought recently for a whopping 5200)
Coming in four weeks to my home:
The Wizard of Oz
Dialed In
Attack from Mars re-make
Coming in a few months when they are ready:
Monster Bash re-make
As I say I will engage with you any time my friend in the interest of our great hobby.

It would probably be much easier to just update your collection list then typing all that out.

#108 5 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

It would probably be much easier to just update your collection list then typing all that out.

My friend, I typed that out to take account of what I owned previously, which is a far greater number than what I own right now (4). On my profile at pinside I do have the four currently held machines listed and will add the new arrivals as soon as they are part of the collection.

#109 5 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

I am anti remake on MM for various reasons, and it took me 12 solid years to finally land an original. I personally had zero interest in buying that remake. I don’t care about everything being perfect and new, life is very imperfect. Give me authentic and real. I want Williams stamped down my cabinet, and 20+ years of documented repairs.
Only thing I like about the remake is it saved me about $4500, as prices were going insane.
With that said, if you love it and have faith in it, go for it. If MB is priced well and built better like AFM, maybe I’ll look harder at it, but I’ll take an original all day, everyday. Ive played an AFMR and the flippers didn’t feel right to me. Just my thoughts.

I believe the flipper issue on AFMr was corrected with a software update about 5 months after the game was released. I have an MMr LE and it plays as good or better than the Keller restored MM original I used to own.

#110 5 years ago

This is silly. Really silly. I'm both a collector AND a player; most people in the hobby tend to fall into one camp or the other. As a collector, I get both sides of this, if for no other reason than it's hard to be nostalgic about a remake. But, at the same time, why would I want a MB with FEWER features or a smaller screen?! As a player, though, the originals have a different (and, IMHO, better) "feel."

#111 5 years ago

My friend, I typed that out to take account of what I owned previously, which is a far greater number than what I own right now (4). On my profile at pinside I do have the four currently held machines listed and will add the new arrivals as soon as they are part of the collection.

Look down a little more on your collection page. This is what I'm talking about. The "Previously owned" section.

aaaaaa (resized).PNGaaaaaa (resized).PNG
#112 5 years ago

As a new buyer to the hobby - I put 20 games on a AFMr new to me game, and freaking loved it. I almost bought one on the spot, but the looming MBr has me intreagued.

#113 5 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Look down a little more on your collection page. This is what I'm talking about. The "Previously owned" section.
[quoted image]

I get it. And I certainly can and will avail myself of that option. Thank you for alerting me, I hadn't seen that icon.

But for the sake of providing my friend with an annotated list to answer his query on this thread I figured I would be descriptive in conversational terms.

#114 5 years ago

I get it. And I certainly can and will avail myself of that option. Thank you for alerting me, I hadn't seen that icon.
But for the sake of providing my friend with an annotated list to answer his query on this thread I figured I would be descriptive in conversational terms.

Too many big words for a pinball forum for my simple conversational skills.

Maybe say something like:
Cool. I didn't notice that feature - I'll start using that. I just wanted to give a quick list of my previously owned pinball machines for convenience.

#115 5 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Well, on numerous pinside forums discussions on build quality have been given spirited and comprehensive rhetorical consideration. The matter of better wood for CGC's re-makes (one area where the Windy City company promised to improve) covered plywood for the new machines vs. balsa wood on the originals. To be honest though that leap is nice (your disbelief notwithstanding) I am far more attuned to the interactive toppers, improved light show and various art revisions/additions on the re-makes, though of course NIB is always a special allure.

#116 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Too many big words for a pinball forum for my simple conversational skills.
May say something like:
Cool. I didn't notice that feature - I'll start using that. I just wanted to give a quick list of my previously owned pinball machines for convenience.

LOL. My friend, I have the utmost confidence and respect for you and all others on the forum as intellectuals. heck the fact that they love pinball strengthens those sentiments. But we are cool here. I used 51 words and you used 43 words.

#117 5 years ago

LOL. My friend, I have the utmost confidence and respect for you and all others on the forum as intellectuals. heck the fact that they love pinball strengthens those sentiments. But we are cool here. I used 51 words and you used 43 words.

I am just goofing around.

I am just a simple dude from NC that likes pork BBQ, fried seafood, and sweet tea - and loves pinball.

#118 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I am just goofing around.
I am just a simple dude from NC that likes pork BBQ, fried seafood, and sweet tea - and loves pinball.

I thought so and my friend I love it!!!!

NC eh? My wife and five kids are heading down to use a friend's condo in Sunset Beach from August 12 to 20. Based on last year there seems to be quite a bit of rain though never lasts the entire day.

#119 5 years ago

Hoping the price is nice. I have thinned the herd and am ready for the punch in the nuts price.

#120 5 years ago

Once again....... I’m this hobby for 20 plus years. Had 3 original AFMs , a MB and a MM

I now have 2/3 remakes and will be getting the third

Was VERY skeptical in the beginning but anyone that tells you the remakes are inferior or play different are either full of shit or don’t know they are talking about. Period !!!

#121 5 years ago

Re-makes do play different.

Seriously, I am genuinely amazed that lots of people don't notice.

Flippers just have a different feel.

Probably relating to that huge emulation discussion way back.

Not saying which is better as that is a personal choice. But different - yup, 100%.

#122 5 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Re-makes do play different.
Seriously, I am genuinely amazed that lots of people don't notice.
Flippers just have a different feel.
Probably relating to that huge emulation discussion way back.
Not saying which is better as that is a personal choice. But different - yup, 100%.

I've heard the same from competitive players.

#123 5 years ago

Saying a remake plays differently than original. Is the same as saying my Adams Family plays different than yours.

This argument is invalid as EVERY pinball machine plays different. There are so many factors that go into testing a game.

The only thing I can say is the Remakes tend to work better than most of the games I see in the wild. A little bit snappier.

Though I've played some nice restored AFMs and MMS that play just as well as remake.

So if No 2 machines play exactly alike there is no bar for consistency.

#124 5 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Saying a remake plays differently than original. Is the same as saying my Adams Family plays different than yours.
This argument is invalid as EVERY pinball machine plays different. There are so many factors that go into testing a game.
The only thing I can say is the Remakes tend to work better than most of the games I see in the wild. A little bit snappier.
Though I've played some nice restored AFMs and MMS that play just as well as remake.

now-this-mother-is-on-to-something (resized).jpgnow-this-mother-is-on-to-something (resized).jpg
#125 5 years ago

My MMR plays better than my best of three MMs, one of which was a Treasurecove restoration, not even the best. My best original I found on a location with little use. Also, my MMR seems a little faster. My AFMr, on the other hand, never really played like the original I owned, although I loved the extra features. Same thing as I’ve seen between originals, normal variation. The feel is similar when machines are set up properly. I think the CGC product is as close as you could get to Williams doing a reboot if they were around today. I was concerned about decals rather than a silkscreened cabinet like Williams used to do but it really doesn’t matter. It’s a great product.

#126 5 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

My thoughts exactly, as a dealer I might sell a demo and set up the exact same game and it feels/plays way different.

#127 5 years ago

It's a shame that this hobby has become a lot about value and who's games are better than others....we're all in it together to have fun, who cares whether you have a remake or an original? Who cares which one is better? I was happy when the remake for Medieval came out, it allows more people to enjoy a great game, a small business makes some money and employs a staff, and parts become more plentiful for all of us...and it could potentially introduce more people into our passion.

Chris

#128 5 years ago

Sweet Jesus yes!!! It’s officially announced!!!

And yet...I still feel so empty inside.

Maybe the actual reveal will give me what I need.

#129 5 years ago

Both MMR and AFMR I played had “flopped” flippers. The flippers were adjusted too low and so the shots and flipper timings were all wrong. If you adjust the flippers slightly higher at rest (the toothpick method with the guide holes) the flippers and timing are spot on to the originals.

#130 5 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Once again....... I’m this hobby for 20 plus years. Had 3 original AFMs , a MB and a MM
I now have 2/3 remakes and will be getting the third
Was VERY skeptical in the beginning but anyone that tells you the remakes are inferior or play different are either full of shit or don’t know they are talking about. Period !!!

I completely disagree. They feel different.

#131 5 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Actually they most assuredly are NOT mixed up -the raw materials used for the re-makes have been confirmed on numerous forums- but I do commend you on your impassioned defense for the originals. CGC has been rightfully proud for setting out consciously to go the extra nine yards with more durable materials.

#132 5 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Remake will be far superior to the original

“Best game ever”?

#133 5 years ago

Actually they most assuredly are NOT mixed up -the raw materials used for the re-makes have been confirmed on numerous forums- but I do commend you on your impassioned defense for the originals. CGC has been rightfully proud for setting out consciously to go the extra nine yards with more durable materials.

Can you post a link re: the original AFM, MM and MB being "made out of balsa wood" as you stated above?

#134 5 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Can you post a link re: the original AFM, MM and MB being "made out of balsa wood" as you stated above?

He's not serious. That's just vindictive hyperbole. In reality, it probably just references the bottom of cabinets in the original W/B games being made of pressboard type material, where CGC now uses plywood. Plywood is an improvement over pressboard to be sure, but pressboard is not exactly "balsa wood".

#135 5 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

He's not serious. That's just vindictive hyperbole. In reality, it probably just references the bottom of cabinets in the original W/B games being made of pressboard type material, where CGC now uses plywood. Plywood is an improvement over pressboard to be sure, but pressboard is not exactly "balsa wood".

"Vindictive hyperbole?" Hahahahahahaha!!! It DOES reference the bottom of the cabinet and it does contrast the upgrade from press board to plywood for the cabinet bottom. My response was polite and civil, unlike your nasty assumption here!!! Pressboard and balsa are often and have often been asserted as interchangeable in framing.

#136 5 years ago

My response was polite and civil, unlike your nasty assumption here!!!

I don't think it was nasty. More hyperbole.

#137 5 years ago

But WHY wouldn't one assume that there WOULDN'T be improvements in view of technological advancements, the opportunity to upgrade materials, and CGC's understandable desire to see some pinball fans buying into their new machines?

It is a no brainer, except for original owners not wanting (understandably) to see their holdings lose value.

#138 5 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

I don't think it was nasty. More hyperbole.

Nah YOUR response was the only one that veered from facts and details and got personal. I stayed on point. You equated that to being vindictive?!

Keep spinning though.

#139 5 years ago

So just to be clear, the cabinet in original AFM, MM, and MB are not made of balsa wood as you stated above?

#140 5 years ago

*sigh*.....the never-ending argument whether the remake is better, worse, feels "Stern-y", better investment (I just LOVE that one), etc etc. In my situation, my wife & I entertain a lot. When we open the house on Memorial Day, we'll have about 12-15 parties until we close it up at Halloween. There is NO WAY I'm putting an original MM, AFM or MB to get the shit played out of it. Mind you, these are by & large respectful adults (assholes aren't asked back) but the pins get a workout all the same, That said, My MMr & AFMr get a good amount of play and to date, I have not had a single problem. If these were originals would that still be the case? Maybe yes, maybe no, but the prices were getting so stratospheric that on those 2 pins that I just would not be comfortable. I'd probably feel the same if I owned a Big Bang Bar. I really don't mind if they don't say 'Williams' on their speaker panels, I really don't. Trust me-not one player has ever mentioned that. These machines are well-built, they DON'T feel "Stern-y" and are good workhorses. As you might gather, all pins that I own get played, they're not museum pieces.

#141 5 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

So just to be clear, the cabinet in original AFM, MM, and MB are not made of balsa wood as you stated above?

OK I'll put you to rest and use the comparable term "pressboard" instead of "balsa wood." But no matter how we frame it CGC improved the build quality on that aspect by upgrading to plywood.

#142 5 years ago
Quoted from CubeSnake:

*sigh*.....the never-ending argument whether the remake is better, worse, feels "Stern-y", better investment (I just LOVE that one), etc etc. In my situation, my wife & I entertain a lot. When we open the house on Memorial Day, we'll have about 12-15 parties until we close it up at Halloween. There is NO WAY I'm putting an original MM, AFM or MB to get the shit played out of it. Mind you, these are by & large respectful adults (assholes aren't asked back) but the pins get a workout all the same, That said, My MMr & AFMr get a good amount of play and to date, I have not had a single problem. If these were originals would that still be the case? Maybe yes, maybe no, but the prices were getting so stratospheric that on those 2 pins that I just would not be comfortable. I'd probably feel the same if I owned a Big Bang Bar. I really don't mind if they don't say 'Williams' on their speaker panels, I really don't. Trust me-not one player has ever mentioned that. These machines are well-built, they DON'T feel "Stern-y" and are good workhorses. As you might gather, all pins that I own get played, they're not museum pieces.

Where do you keep your real jewelry?

#143 5 years ago

OK I'll put you to rest and use the comparable term "pressboard" instead of "balsa wood." But no matter how we frame it CGC improved the build quality on that aspect by upgrading to plywood.

Just stop

#144 5 years ago

I don't know if MMr is better or not - but that is what I am going to get.

#145 5 years ago

Pathetic.

#146 5 years ago

What do you folks think the secret features MBr will be ? Seen rumor of new modes/code. Wondering if the Phantom Flip stays in the code, maybe improved consistency..

#147 5 years ago

Oh absolutely Lord and master. I'll "stop" to placate you absolutely. Fascism rules on pinside!

#148 5 years ago

Oh absolutely Lord and master. I'll "stop" to placate you absolutely. Fascism rules on pinside!

Some people like remakes, some like originals, some appreciate both. Buy what you like. Don’t need endless posts trying to convince everyone one way or another.

#149 5 years ago
Quoted from pickleric:

Some people like remakes, some like originals, some appreciate both. Buy what you like. Don’t need endless posts trying to convince everyone one way or another.

What you say in the first two sentences is absolutely right. But a fair and polite debate on the merits of either was under discussion not to mention me responding directly to a scene-specific question from "Fosaisu" above asking about the authenticity of my original comment regarding wood construction. I am willing to vacate further discussion on the original vs re-make debate, but if I am asked a question I will respond.

Needless to say whether the debate ends here on this thread or not, it will be one revisited by many others on other threads as for all sorts of reasons it is topical.

#150 5 years ago

But WHY wouldn't one assume that there WOULDN'T be improvements in view of technological advancements, the opportunity to upgrade materials, and CGC's understandable desire to see some pinball fans buying into their new machines?
It is a no brainer, except for original owners not wanting (understandably) to see their holdings lose value.

The lose I have taken in Pinball have always been on NIB that I have sold several years later, My old second hand pins I seem to break even or make a few dollars

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 72.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 75.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.95
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 189 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/monster-bash-remake-is-official/page/3?hl=farfromheaven26 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.