New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 278040)

Monster Bash - Remake compared to original

By laclipps

27 days ago

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 25 days ago by Jmckune
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

454B2473-AEDF-4D30-98D7-BC74CED07366 (resized).jpeg
6FA7D743-0C36-4F9B-8B87-8444E7FA4E4C (resized).jpeg

#1 27 days ago

I’m considering purchasing a Monster Bash and wanted to get thoughts and opinions of the CGC remake compared to the original WPC. What are the main differences and Pros/Cons? Can you tell any differences in gameplay? I realize one was made over 2 decades below. Thanks.

#2 27 days ago

You’re going to want to play them both and compare for yourself. However in my opinion MBr plays closest to the original compared to MMr and AFMr. The AFM felt the most off to me. The saucer rebound from that powerful drop target was missing and the flippers somehow felt weaker.

#3 27 days ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

The saucer rebound from that powerful drop target was missing and the flippers somehow felt weaker.

Might have been the specific machine because saucer rebound and flippers are super strong on my AFM remake.

Also can be adjusted maybe you played one on location which I’ve found are usually set up horrible.

#4 27 days ago

The hires screen and the topper are nice on the remakes. Some don't like the way the remakes play and prefer the originals but there are others that feel the game play is similar enough on the remakes. Others just want the original because its... original. This one of these questions you'll have to answer for yourself after seeing and playing both.

#5 27 days ago

MB LE and SE are waaaay better than the originals. They play faster, the large display is fantastic, the full rgb lighting is epic and non of them are as worn as any og, especially drac. Ive owned both and vastly prefer the remake.

#6 27 days ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

You’re going to want to play them both and compare for yourself. However in my opinion MBr plays closest to the original compared to MMr and AFMr. The AFM felt the most off to me. The saucer rebound from that powerful drop target was missing and the flippers somehow felt weaker.

Sorry but this post is incorrect. The saucer rebound has sent the ball flying to my flippers on my AFMr on occasion. The flippers being weak is especially funny, every single AFMr owner has had to lower their flipper strength initially because It’s way too strong.

#7 27 days ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

I hear you and need to find a remake to shoot. Thanks.

#8 27 days ago
Quoted from laclipps:

I hear you and need to find a remake to shoot. Thanks.

Yes the flippers are Uber strong, had to turn down because balls were flying off the ramp.

#9 27 days ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Sorry but this post is incorrect. The saucer rebound has sent the ball flying to my flippers on my AFMr on occasion. The flippers being weak is especially funny, every single AFMr owner has had to lower their flipper strength initially because It’s way too strong.

Sorry but unless you’ve personally played every AFMr ever you can’t say I’m incorrect. Another poster said I likely played on location with a crap setup which was true. I played several of them at an expo and the old beat up original was the better shooter in that particular case. I don’t know what the settings were on but that particular remake shot like utter crap.

#10 27 days ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

MB LE and SE are waaaay better than the originals. They play faster, the large display is fantastic, the full rgb lighting is epic and non of them are as worn as any og, especially drac. Ive owned both and vastly prefer the remake.

/\ this

I had the same dilemma a while back, but I came to the conclusion that the remake is better in every way.

#11 27 days ago
Quoted from Daditude:

/\ this
I had the same dilemma a while back, but I came to the conclusion that the remake is better in every way.

Aesthetically....I like definitely like MBr, especially the larger color display and the powder coated legs and rails. I'm assuming the build and components are better on the remakes since the others are so much older....correct?

#12 27 days ago

I have owned an original AFM and own a original MM and MB. I have also played all remakes. My thoughts are they are beautiful and look great. With that being said, the don’t play the same as the originals. It just feels different. The originals are better.

#13 27 days ago
Quoted from laclipps:

Aesthetically....I like definitely like MBr, especially the larger color display and the powder coated legs and rails. I'm assuming the build and components are better on the remakes since the others are so much older....correct?

I wouldn’t say better at all. If something breaks on any of these 3 originals it’s really simple to diagnose and fix. On these remakes and newer games, the hardware is different and failure of one component can often mean the replacement of the entire part.

#14 27 days ago

there's no well-maintained 20-30yo original game that's ever going to feel the same as a less than 1-2yo remake. even if everything down to the last screw and circuitry we're identical, you can't replicate a game that's been broken and worn in. it's like shoes or your favorite T-shirt.

#15 27 days ago

They sort of have your balls in a salad shooter on the levels here. The more $$$ models you have to pay more for lighting which is embarrassingly piss poor. The whole puking color every time you hit a character is nauseating, but you can turn it off. Now the bigger screen and redone dots are awesome, and I was blown away by them which I don't say easily.
So that's really the jist of it, they kind of push you to the higher model.

Personally if I was buying today I would have no problems buying a new one over an OG

#16 27 days ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

They sort of have your balls in a salad shooter on the levels here.

haha!! love this.

#17 27 days ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

They sort of have your balls in a salad shooter on the levels here. The more $$$ models you have to pay more for lighting which is embarrassingly piss poor. The whole puking color every time you hit a character is nauseating, but you can turn it off. Now the bigger screen and redone dots are awesome, and I was blown away by them which I don't say easily.
So that's really the jist of it, they kind of push you to the higher model.
Personally if I was buying today I would have no problems buying a new one over an OG

The re done dots are available via a $400 chip upgrade. You're basically paying $900 for a bigger screen and RGB lighting, in the case of MB. I personally much prefer the classic look and the RGB lighting is not my cup of tea. CE is an easy decision for me. On AFM literally the only difference is the size of the screen and a spray paint job on the saucers, maybe the SE includes a shaker too but thats not needd on AFM and you can add it for $150 anyway. CE for life.

#18 27 days ago

easier to repair the original, but playing a new remake is pretty awesome.

#19 27 days ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

.... I personally much prefer the classic look and the RGB lighting is not my cup of tea. CE is an easy decision for me....CE for life.

When I was looking I expected to be CE as well. The size of the screen from me was a huge improvement...but that's the problem is it's basically the only thing i wanted; So it was hard to justify.

#20 27 days ago

I really enjoyed the remake. However the phantom flip on the one I played wasn’t off by a little, but a lot. I’ve played several original MBs and sometimes they would miss here and there but this was off by a full shot placement. Also had issues kicking out ball into shooter lane.

Only MB that I’ve played that had a consistently accurate phantom flip was at SS billiards about 20 years ago.

#21 27 days ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

When I was looking I expected to be CE as well. The size of the screen from me was a huge improvement...but that's the problem is it's basically the only thing i wanted; So it was hard to justify.

For me at least I've never thought to myself "man I wish this screen was bigger". I am sure that side by side the difference is there but to me its not worth what it does to the look of the machine, I just prefer the classic vs "hot rod" look.

#22 27 days ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

For me at least I've never thought to myself "man I wish this screen was bigger"...

Yeah I was surprised myself I felt that way.

#23 27 days ago

People who own the original and want it to keep its value favor the original. Surprise surprise.

#24 27 days ago

Owned an restored original. Sold it pretty fast, but I believe it was set up too easy.

The MBLE, I just picked up may be the best looking game , I have owned. It is set up with no ball save and I believe on this game that is the way to go. The shots are smooth as the original. The light show is much improved, the dots are better as described. The topper is excellent on the LE also. I do agree the phantom shot does not work as well as on y restored original.

I like the feel of the MBLE much better than the original. That is not the case for me on AFM and MM. I like the originals better in those cases.

#25 27 days ago
Quoted from sulli10:

I like the feel of the MBLE much better than the original. That is not the case for me on AFM and MM. I like the originals better in those cases.

Exactly how I see it as well. The MBr that I played shot excellent and had a cool light show. Original is still no slouch though!

#26 27 days ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

Sorry but unless you’ve personally played every AFMr ever you can’t say I’m incorrect. Another poster said I likely played on location with a crap setup which was true. I played several of them at an expo and the old beat up original was the better shooter in that particular case. I don’t know what the settings were on but that particular remake shot like utter crap.

Sure I can. You’re incorrect.

#27 27 days ago
Quoted from EJS:

I really enjoyed the remake. However the phantom flip on the one I played wasn’t off by a little, but a lot. I’ve played several original MBs and sometimes they would miss here and there but this was off by a full shot placement. Also had issues kicking out ball into shooter lane.
Only MB that I’ve played that had a consistently accurate phantom flip was at SS billiards about 20 years ago.

The phantom flip on the remake is self learning. The more you play the better it gets. The one I play on was bought NIB day one LE. Out of the box it missed a lot. Now it's pretty spot on. Nothing was done expect playing it.

#28 27 days ago

If you're a purist and only want the original or if you own an original then the original is better.
The original has two pro's over the remake. One is the boards can be repaired (IF) you know how to repair boards. If you don't know how to do board work you're going to have to send the boards out for repair or buy new. The other is most parts are readily available new and second hand.
If you're new to the hobby and want new shinny bling with all the bells and whistles, someone that doesn't want to mess around working on their own game. Or just want the top of the tier on this game then the remake is for you. First we have the XL screen, updated sound, better dots on the screen. Better lighting that can be set from warm white to RGB by just changing the setting. Shaker motor that is incorporated in game play by software. New not beat to hell game.

I've played dozens of all three remakes and dozens of the originals. They all play the same depending on the machine you are playing. Both need to be dialed in and set up to play good. Both can play like crap compared to the other if not.

#29 27 days ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Sure I can. You’re incorrect.

Ok sure, you can say it, doesn’t mean it’s right. I have quite an Arsenal to judge by though...including a nice AFM MM and MB original. The one at the show played like trash. In any case he was asking about MB and not AFM. I’m not the only one to hold that opinion though.

6FA7D743-0C36-4F9B-8B87-8444E7FA4E4C (resized).jpeg

#30 27 days ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

Ok sure, you can say it, doesn’t mean it’s right. I have quite an Arsenal to judge by though...including a nice AFM MM and MB original. The one at the show played like trash
[quoted image]

It’s not right. Virtually everyone in the AFMr owners club has had to lower their flipper strength from stock. You played one game on location without knowing the setup and made a blanket assumption. A NIB game is never going to feel like a 25 year old game. We have all experienced differences in feel across original classic games because of differences in wear/build/maintenance/repair/ambiance. Unless you travel back in time and crack open a NIB AFM, and compare it to remake that is set up in the exact manner, and play them in the same room (room lighting, acoustics, flooring, etc can change feel) you have no idea how it feels relative to a remake.

#31 27 days ago

I own an original MB and my brother just bought a remake a few days ago. Outside of being able to customize the lighting on my original, I'd say his remake(classic) is as good or better in every way.

The only reason id personally lean towards an original is because I fix the boards myself, but outside of the board repair, I'd probably go with the MBr.

#32 27 days ago

No two machines play exactly the same way - and this goes for both original machines and remakes.

My brother and I both owned EBD-LE machines at one point, and they both felt different from each other - even though they both played fine.

If they were to remake EBD, one of us (at least) is going to say "This doesn't feel the same as my original!"

If you play a MBr and say this "this doesn't feel like my original", I could probably bring in another original and you'd say the same thing.

#33 27 days ago

Hit or miss on both sides. New can be dialed in to play like old, old cannot be dialed in to play like new. I just like to play them both.

#34 27 days ago

Sorry no help here. Due to scarcity I only played a few games on original. I have the MBr and love it. It shoots like a dream and will be better after I clean and wax it shortly.

#35 27 days ago
Quoted from Honch:

The only reason id personally lean towards an original is because I fix the boards myself, but outside of the board repair, I'd probably go with the MBr.

Yes, this is the only reason I got the original and I just fixed a DMD issue in my AFM yesterday. I have not played the MBR yet but it looks awesome in YouTube.

#36 26 days ago
Quoted from EJS:

it will fix itself after several games.

#37 26 days ago

Thanks for all the feedback. The decision is the LE.

#38 26 days ago

Original only for “collectibility”. Remake (esp LE) for everything else.

#39 26 days ago
Quoted from laclipps:

Good choice. You won't be disappointed. Pretty sure there are some LE's left at a few distro so you can still buy NIB.

#40 25 days ago
Quoted from laclipps:

I’m sure you’ll enjoy! Had a pretty nice game on this one yesterday and made me think of this thread!

454B2473-AEDF-4D30-98D7-BC74CED07366 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 209.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 29.95
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
5,995 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dallas, PA
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
$ 89.99
Machine - For Sale
Loveland, CO
7,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 5,999.00
Pinball Machine
Arizona Pinball
$ 5,999.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 59.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 19.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
6,799 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 128.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 5,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Boards
PinSound
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Back Alley Creations
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside