• 22 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by bigd1979
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hey all -

Trying to decide if I should go for one of the Mirco repro playfields, or get the current one restored. Wear isn't too bad, but there is a lot of wood showing near the instruments and a bit around the Drac track - that's pretty much it. If restored, I would get the paint touched up and a new ultimate layer of clear applied.

Price is important, but not the only factor. I understand the restore will likely be more. But how good are Mirco playfields, for those who have swapped one? Is the plywood 5-or 7-ply? Coloring ok? Just trying to not make another pin-mistake

#2 7 years ago

I did a MB Mirco PF swap and I am very happy with it. The colors are a little brighter (greens and blues) which I actually like. I also had Ron Kruzman clear the PF first. I have had him do a few Mirco PFs for me and I personally wouldn't do it any other way. The form, fit and function of the Mirco was spot on though.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from not4tilts:

I did a MB Mirco PF swap and I am very happy with it. The colors are a little brighter (greens and blues) which I actually like. I also had Ron Kruzman clear the PF first. I have had him do a few Mirco PFs for me and I personally wouldn't do it any other way. The form, fit and function of the Mirco was spot on though.

That's what I was hoping I'd hear! I was actually considering asking Kruzman or HEP to do the same thing, or do the restore on the existing PF. Kruzman lives about 45 minutes from my parents' house so next time we visit I thought I might be able to run it up there. I'll have to ask him if I could just ship it to him, have it cleared and then sent back to my place. Given the potential issues with the inserts I was kind of leaning toward the Mirco side anyway.

#4 7 years ago

Edited. Got one guy stated it was a nos but had a flaw.sent to (HEP) Chris .to fix flaw and to clear and said it needed the mosh pit hole beleved. Just a mention

#5 7 years ago

I think a restored original is typically the best option, although Kruzman does a nice job.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Billmelater:

I think a restored original is typically the best option, although Kruzman does a nice job.

I'd definitely prefer that, Still looking into how long it would take, or if there are objective upsides to it, other than the obvious in keeping it original - also I don't quite understand what issues one may run into with the inserts.

#7 7 years ago

I had my playfield restored. The problem with my restored playfield is that to me it seems that it is slightly warped at the drac lane and now the ball bounces on a occasion when it goes over the drac lane. I have yet to experiment by putting washers under the drac bracket to see if that makes the ball bouncing at the drac lane disappear. In any case, if I would be given the choice now, I would get a Mirco repro.

#8 7 years ago

Or better yet, if it comes available, the planked MB playfield (there is a separate thread on it - hopefully it would come available to purchase at some time)

#9 7 years ago

I grabed a mirco playfield an a pf protector. For me the better - no waiting time

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Or better yet, if it comes available, the planked MB playfield (there is a separate thread on it - hopefully it would come available to purchase at some time)

Oh I'm tracking that! What a great job. I'm not sure if that will be able to be sold though, licensing and all. It's beautiful! But also it is so much work!

#11 7 years ago

My issue with a mirco is that it sticks out like a sore thumb to me. I'll simply glance at it and say, yep another repro PF. This is mainly cause of the wood type/grain that is visible in shooter lane. It is very distinct.

If this a a game you are restoring yourself I'd say go for it. The mircos are pretty nice and may not even need extra clear or repairs.

#12 7 years ago

I have found that the shooter lane as it comes from Mirco is very rough (not good clear) but it is beautiful when it comes from Kruzman. Make sure to get a Mantis protector as well.

#13 7 years ago

Thanks all- I chatted with Kruzman and it sort of seems like the reproduction is my best option, and yet still a good option unless I want to wait a *really* long time. I'm patient but... not that much. He was clear that a restore would be superior and better wood especially - but that he can turn some 'ok' stuff into a really great end result. I've seen the pictures, I believe him.

He also described to me a new process he's getting into, and the curing time for the layers of clear and my god I am definitely having him do it, repro or not. The Mircos have gotten enough positive support (for this game specifically, mind you) that I feel good about it. This and Creature are my grail games (huge flow and monster movie fan here) so I really don't want to screw this up!

#14 7 years ago

I went with the Mirco repro and sent it to Chris Hutchins at HEP to fix/re-clear it before McCune added it to the rest of the restoration. It came out pretty good.

As Chris will tell you, the Mirco PF's have way too much clear on them (unless they've dialed it down from 3 years ago).

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I went with the Mirco repro and sent it to Chris Hutchins at HEP to fix/re-clear it before McCune added it to the rest of the restoration. It came out pretty good.
As Chris will tell you, the Mirco PF's have way too much clear on them (unless they've dialed it down from 3 years ago).
» YouTube video

First time I've heard you can have too MUCH clear on! Interesting...

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

First time I've heard you can have too MUCH clear on! Interesting...

To thick and its prone to damage and chipping rather easy especially when reinstalling all the posts and stuff topside . I still like the diamond plate clear as it held up well over the years, but it was cloudy. New clearcoat looks like glass but not sure it wld hold up as well if put threw the same abuse of the 90s pins

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

To thick and its prone to damage and chipping rather easy especially when reinstalling all the posts and stuff topside . I still like the diamond plate clear as it held up well over the years, but it was cloudy. New clearcoat looks like glass but not sure it wld hold up as well if put threw the same abuse of the 90s pins

Ok that makes sense. Something Kruzman was telling me is that the clear takes a really long time to really cure and be as hard as it needs to be, much longer than it says on the package. As a result, most applications of clear are not even done curing when they arrive to be installed, I.e. The second coat is applied before the first is done curing, and you start getting damage much more easily than, say a DiamondPlate which (I assume) was applied over a longer period of time.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

say a DiamondPlate which (I assume) was applied over a longer period of time.

I don't have any first hand knowledge but I'm thinking many commercial arcade companies from back in the day wouldn't waste time waiting on things to cure. I think they were a lot like companies today. Get it out as fast as possible. They certainly didn't continue to make the same games for multiple years.

#19 7 years ago

RobT

That is an immaculate Monster Bash. Do you ever play it? I would be torn between playing it constantly and wanting it to stay in god-tier condition

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I don't have any first hand knowledge but I'm thinking many commercial arcade companies from back in the day wouldn't waste time waiting on things to cure. I think they were a lot like companies today. Get it out as fast as possible. They certainly didn't continue to make the same games for multiple years.

Probably true - but I know also that they used harder wood back in the day, and the PFs made now (at least the repros, and I have to imagine some of the Sterns) are using much softer wood, so the clear needs to be both flexible as the wood flexes in very small ways, but hard enough to overall protect the wood.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from GotAQuestion:

RobT
That is an immaculate Monster Bash. Do you ever play it? I would be torn between playing it constantly and wanting it to stay in god-tier condition

Thanks. I play it regularly! And it has held up extremely well. When I put fresh rubber on it, it looks pretty damn close to as good as it did the day Jim delivered it to me.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from GotAQuestion:

RobT

I have a restored perfect one also but play it alot....i mean whats the point otherwise
Lol

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 72.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.95
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 75.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/monster-bash-pf-mirco-or-restore?hl=mightygrave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.