52 days ago

Topic Stats

• 88 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 32 days ago by rai
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Monster bash or WOZ yellow brick road for home ”

• WOZ Yellow Brick Road 86 votes
      46%
    • Monster Bash LE 102 votes
      54%

(188 votes)

There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 48 days ago

I'm simply coming back again to see that WOZ is losing the poll still. Just get both, decide which you like better, and keep that one...makes perfect sense (you'll end up keeping both and that's a win). Of course, you could still just get Alice Cooper...it's kid friendly...

#52 48 days ago

Normally I’d say WOZ, but I wouldn’t pay JJP’s asking price for a neutered version of the game.

So, in this case, I’d go MB

#53 48 days ago

If you want depth, don’t get a MB. I just traded a 6 month old MBrSE for a BM66 because of the lack of depth. As for YBR WOZ, you’re on your own. I was never a fan.

#54 48 days ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

I have 3 kids. Ages 10, 7, and 3.
    I had WOZ and still have MBr. Monster Bash won hands down. It got played 3x as much as WOZ. They liked WOZ at first but it’s clunky compared to our JJPOTC which they like way more. I just sold the WOZ. Still have MBr and JJPOTC. The kids split time evenly between MBr and JJPOTC, both of which got way more family playtime than WOZ.

This was my experience almost exactly, except my 3 kids are slightly older and I have an original MB and don't have JJPOTC. Kids and non-pinheads love the way WOZ looked, but they walked away after the first ball. WoZ is deep but rules aren't intuitive like MB, and casual players aren't interested in learning them. MB has orbit and ramp shots that return to the flippers, where WoZ has only one ramp that usually locks the ball, and even if you make the orbit shot a magnet sometimes stops it. WoZ is heavy on shooting standup targets which isn't as satisfying. When my pinball friends came over WoZ still rarely got played, but then mostly because it was too long for multiplayer games. It felt like it was becoming more of an art piece that people loved but didn't play so I traded it. MB has been in my basement longer than any other pin.

#55 48 days ago
    Quoted from Coz:

Buy a AFMr classic and MBr classic instead of YBR Woz and you’ll have two awesome pins instead of one that has features removed

That is good advice.

#56 47 days ago

Thanks for the thoughts. MB is starting to fall behind.

#57 46 days ago

As a a former owner of MB. I still own WOZ.

#58 46 days ago

i think the key here is 'depth' and 'children' don't go together these days. Many simply don't want to invest the time in a challenge. I see a lot talking about how deep WoZ is, and frankly, that will be a turn off for most kids.

If it's for you and you are a pinhead, then maybe WoZ is better, but if it is for 'non-pin' family and friends, MB is the way to go - but I agree with some others, just buy both and sell the one that doesn't get played.

#59 46 days ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

i think the key here is 'depth' and 'children' don't go together these days. Many simply don't want to invest the time in a challenge. I see a lot talking about how deep WoZ is, and frankly, that will be a turn off for most kids.

If it's for you and you are a pinhead, then maybe WoZ is better, but if it is for 'non-pin' family and friends, MB is the way to go - but I agree with some others, just buy both and sell the one that doesn't get played.

^^^ This.
    Depends on if you think kids will really keep playing. I've seen advice on forums that usually steers people away from getting a game they think/hope the family will play. Many times, family doesn't, so get game more for you (WOZ), and hope family plays.

I'm lucky, my wife plays pinball with me & likes it. Older kids also sometimes play, but not as much.

#60 46 days ago

WOZ for depth, MB for fun

#61 46 days ago

MBr. Woz will have issues out of the box.

#62 46 days ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

MBr. Woz will have issues out of the box.

My mbrle has more issues then my woz rr . The stupid left ramp is defective and the ball never makes it completely and comes back down and the scoop keeps ejecting straight down the middle . Poor quality control on this one

#63 46 days ago

I voted MBr but only because the choice was between it and Woz YBR. If it was any other Woz version I would have voted Woz.

#64 45 days ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

I voted MBr but only because the choice was between it and Woz YBR. If it was any other Woz version I would have voted Woz.

Me too. I just can't believe anyone is interested in a gimped WOZ, but hey, I guess every pin eventually finds a home, no matter how many features are stripped out of it.

#65 45 days ago

WOZ is a fantastic game and is the crowning jewel of my collection. In my opinion it is the best game ever made. That's coming from a guy who owns a lot of games and has been collecting since 1998 and grew up playing DMD games in the 90's. Woz is truely on another level...it's the best!

#66 45 days ago
    Quoted from Gotpins:

WOZ is a fantastic game and is the crowning jewel of my collection. In my opinion it is the best game ever made. That's coming from a guy who owns a lot of games and has been collecting since 1998 and grew up playing DMD games in the 90's. Woz is truely on another level...it's the best!

My feeling too.

#67 45 days ago

Both are great games but JJPOTC is better than both. Also, if you do go WOZ, don't get YBR. Get another version with 2.0 lighting system.

#68 45 days ago

Woz would easily be my choice. Mb is fun, but will get stale much faster in home than Woz. Woz really opens up and is amazing once you get into it a little.

#69 45 days ago

I'd wager most people voting WOZ don't have kids who play WOZ. It's a clunky and hard to understand game, and it gets lots of oooohs and aaaaahhhs at first, and it's "pretty" but after a short time they won't play it. Mark my words.

#70 45 days ago

I don't find kids really play pinball (imo) that's why I just buy what is good for me.

#71 45 days ago

Let’s be honest here: 99.9% of newbs are so busy just trying keep the ball alive, deep game or shallow game... it doesn’t make a lick of difference. Besides, most don’t care anyway (let alone even understanding that there are rules).

You also have to take into account that folk’s experience with a “shallow” game could radically tip in a negative direction if they’ve played on machine with a low pitch... one that needed some tuning on the pops/slings (dull, not snappy...). The list goes on and on.

#72 45 days ago
    Quoted from rai:

I don't find kids really play pinball (imo) that's why I just buy what is good for me.

My kids play a ton, but I get that not everyone's kids will. Though our local arcade always has a ton of kids playing arcades and pinballs.

#73 45 days ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

My kids play a ton,

My kids have played since they were both very young. Now 22 and 18 they both play in leagues.

#74 45 days ago

I think the big sticking point is that you are considering the YBR edition of WoZ vs one of the others. MB is a great game that is fun to shoot and easy for anyone to understand. It gets the edge in this matchup.

It has to be said though: Have you given any thought to waiting for Wonka? It might be a good mix of the two. WoZ is a great machine with deep rules, but it isn't the best shooter imo.

#75 44 days ago
    Quoted from Adipocere:

I think the big sticking point is that you are considering the YBR edition of WoZ vs one of the others. MB is a great game that is fun to shoot and easy for anyone to understand. It gets the edge in this matchup.
    It has to be said though: Have you given any thought to waiting for Wonka? It might be a good mix of the two. WoZ is a great machine with deep rules, but it isn't the best shooter imo.

Ding ding! I think we have a winner

#76 44 days ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

I'd wager most people voting WOZ don't have kids who play WOZ. It's a clunky and hard to understand game, and it gets lots of oooohs and aaaaahhhs at first, and it's "pretty" but after a short time they won't play it. Mark my words.

10000% true. We owned one for 8 months and it got played the first 2 weeks.

#77 44 days ago

I owned a MB for many years and now currently own a WOZ. That being said I love the way MB looks and plays. However, it is about as deep as a puddle. If you are even a half way decent player, you will see all this game has to offer in a month. I kept it around for a while and it just wasnt getting played. I replaced it with a WOZ about 3 years ago. We still haven't seen all that WOZ has to offer. In my opinion WOZ is a much better game for longevity and better players. My son is 13 and WOZ is his favorite pin.

#78 41 days ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

10000% true. We owned one for 8 months and it got played the first 2 weeks.

Wow... it’s really amazing how differently everyone views these games. I’ve owned WOZ for 5 years. It has remained my favorite shooter...

#79 41 days ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Wow... it’s really amazing how differently everyone views these games. I’ve owned WOZ for 5 years. It has remained my favorite shooter...

I liked WOZ. Family didn't and people that came over only played MET and didn't want to play WOZ.

#80 41 days ago

Ok I just played my MBRLE last night for the first time in a while. It was actually kind of fun. So I think it depends on who its for. kids get MBR LE, adults and depth get WOZ

There I changed my mind.

#81 41 days ago

I own both but different models. For whats it's worth Woz RR is one of my personal favorites I love that game. MBce is a newer addition but my granddaughter age 7 plays it the most of what I own. My grandson age 9 plays DI he loves that game. However, these kids just don't play much pinball at all here.

In summary I buy games I want (since I play them over 90% of the time) only restriction must be somewhat family friendly which tosses out IMDN, TWD, etc.

#82 41 days ago

Do you only have room for 1? If I was looking to maximize my money, and I was torn between the two, I might be convinced to save up another 2k. You could then go classic on the MBr for 6k, and pick up a used WOZ 6.5-7.5k. You could have both and still be real close to your YBRWOZ once you factor in tax and shipping.

#83 41 days ago

Can't imagine WOZ without the monkey mech.

1 week later
    #85 32 days ago

Why does the monkey matter so much?

Quoted from adamross:

Can't imagine WOZ without the monkey mech.

#86 32 days ago
    Quoted from rodcom:

Why does the monkey matter so much?

Because it’s so cool. Everyone who had played my WOZ when I had it flipped out at the monkey more than anything else.

#87 32 days ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

Because it’s so cool. Everyone who had played my WOZ when I had it flipped out at the monkey more than anything else.

It's my favorite toy in the game, never gets old to me.

#88 32 days ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

Quoted from adamross:

It's my favorite toy in the game, never gets old to me.

It’s not quite the magnet lock from Totan or power PF from TZ but it’s up there with the best cool magnet features.

When I played pinball as a child back in the 70s there was no cool in the way of magnet tricks (not sure of any). I got into pinball collection in the 2000s the magnet tricks were such a cool new feature to me (TAF, TZ, Totan, LotR etc...).

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 14.95
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 9,000.00
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 45.99
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 12.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 30.00
    $ 219.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Hardware
    Pinball Haus
    $ 35.00
    $ 49.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 12.99
    $ 269.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Lermods
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside