(Topic ID: 133780)

Monster Bash or other classics being remade?

By jpc211245

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by jfh
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

I am still pretty new to the pinball world and have had little exposure to the great games that came years ago. I know that MM is/was being remade and I was wondering if anyone knows if there are more classic titles in the works? I was at CAX this weekend and really enjoyed several pinball classics (Monster Bash, MM, Shadow, Tales from the Arabian Nights) that I would love to own one day or least be able to play on a more consistent basis.

Thanks

#2 8 years ago

Teekee should be here in a minute.He'll get you up to date.

#3 8 years ago

I don't think shadow will be one of them.

#4 8 years ago

Any of the games that are based on movies or some kind of liscensed theme would be very difficult/impossible to remake such as shadow, monster bash and takes from the crypt. From what I understand it is very expensive to get the authorization to use the licensed content and would t be allowed to use it. That's why you don't even seen plastic remakes for certain games like terminator 2 for example. There is a better chance of Arabian nights since its original Bally content and why MM could be remade

#5 8 years ago

Ok, here it is in a nutshell. If someone can figure out how to build a machine and make a profit, it will be made. If they can't make a profit, it won't be made.

And welcome to the hobby! It's a crazy one, but always interesting.

As for your real question, nobody knows. The price of AFM is being held down by the threat of a remake. Monster Bash the same. Lots of Spider-Mans for sale because of the threat of a vault. It's a fantastic time to be in the hobby. You get your choice of games from so many different eras in addition to new stuff still being made. Good times.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Ok, here it is in a nutshell. If someone can figure out how to build a machine and make a profit, it will be made. If they can't make a profit, it won't be made.

Hasn't that really been the idea behind pinball since day 1 though

#7 8 years ago

No other WMS remakes other than Medieval Madness have been announced. Of the titles you listed, MB is the most likely but I'd be surprised if you will see a remake for quite some time.

The other titles should be fairly easy to find at far less than a remake will cost.

Welcome to our world ...

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

Hasn't that really been the idea behind pinball since day 1 though

Well it's sure the story of my entire work career

#9 8 years ago

I would love to see a no good gofers remake I don't know about anyone else

#10 8 years ago

Thanks everybody for the insight. It seems like there might be a strong interest in some of the classics being remade to allow the home users the chance to buy.

#11 8 years ago

SEND MONEY NOW!

#12 8 years ago

Basically, MMr took about 12-13 years to actually get done - and they still haven't even caught up with the pre-orders. MM was also an easy pick as aftermarket prices for an original MM had risen to 12-15k (or more) before the remake. As the price for a remake seems to be 8k, there aren't many titles that you could remake and actually get people to pay for over an original. Most of the great Bally/Williams games can be had for under 8k so the demand would presumably be less than that of MMr. The exceptions to the 8k price point would be CV, CC and MB. Of the three of those, the most logical choice would be CC as it has the highest aftermarket price. But *any* remake is probably 3 years out - so my advice would be to act now on the somewhat deflated prices in the market for the top end titles...because if it's ever announced that there won't be any more remakes.....prices are going to go bat sh*t crazy.

#13 8 years ago

I would like to see remakes that were not licensed by PPS and not managed by Chicago gaming.

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from mmr61184:

From what I understand it is very expensive to get the authorization to use the licensed content and would t be allowed to use it. That's why you don't even seen plastic remakes for certain games

Exactly, hence why titles like MM, AFM, ToM, ToTAN, WH20 etc with no real license other then Williams rights might be remade. Those other licensed themes with todays legal fee's for the rights to remake them again might be far from a reality and more like a pipe dream.

#15 8 years ago

I would encourage you to buy the game you want and try not to pay crazy prices for any game, especially early in the hobby.

Despite high game prices, we are in a very good time for pinball. Good games are coming off the lines regularly and tons of parts are available for older games.

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

Basically, MMr took about 12-13 years to actually get done - and they still haven't even caught up with the pre-orders. MM was also an easy pick as aftermarket prices for an original MM had risen to 12-15k (or more) before the remake. As the price for a remake seems to be 8k, there aren't many titles that you could remake and actually get people to pay for over an original. Most of the great Bally/Williams games can be had for under 8k so the demand would presumably be less than that of MMr. The exceptions to the 8k price point would be CV, CC and MB. Of the three of those, the most logical choice would be CC as it has the highest aftermarket price. But *any* remake is probably 3 years out - so my advice would be to act now on the somewhat deflated prices in the market for the top end titles...because if it's ever announced that there won't be any more remakes.....prices are going to go bat sh*t crazy.

12-13 years? What are you smoking? It will be 2 years at expo this year. A long time still, but that's a far cry from 12 years!! LOL!

#17 8 years ago

It'll never happen.

#18 8 years ago

Haven't MB and AFM remakes been leaked to be coming down the pipeline?

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from Strange:

Haven't MB and AFM remakes been leaked to be coming down the pipeline?

No, just speculation. Closest thing were ads in last year's Expo program by one of the distributors that implied AFM was next.

AFM makes the most sense because of a lower BOM and no external licenses to deal with, but MB would probably sell more.

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pimp77:

12-13 years? What are you smoking? It will be 2 years at expo this year. A long time still, but that's a far cry from 12 years!! LOL!

It started with Wayne in Australia - I *thought* it was around 2003 but I'm sure others know the exact timeline - much much longer than 2 years

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

It started with Wayne in Australia - I *thought* it was around 2003 but I'm sure others know the exact timeline - much much longer than 2 years

Wayne started in 2005, but that project has ZERO to do with this one.

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pimp77:

Wayne started in 2005, but that project has ZERO to do with this one.

From my understanding it was Wayne's idea to remake MM, he acquired the rights to remake it, he took orders for it and he began the process of remaking it. He failed. After he failed, PPS acquired the rights and took up the torch.

#23 8 years ago

Definitely more than 2 years. Here is the announcement 5 years ago when PPS got the rights. (Pinball News 2010)

http://www.pinballnews.com/news/williamsrights.html

There were probably deals behind the scenes to get the boxes of Troll assemblies and other parts we saw pictures of for years.

#24 8 years ago

Thanks Taxman for reminding me of pinball news. Here was the original article announcing MMr:

http://www.pinballnews.com/news/reruns2.html

So just over *9* years ago.

#25 8 years ago

At 9k, the remake market is a joke. Sure, it was great for MM (whose price was getting absurd), however it makes little sense for other titles. Remakes @ 4-6k would make a ton of sense.

The originals are based on solid, well supported technology. If anyone thinks new tech == flawless & bug free, think again...

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

The originals are based on solid, well supported technology. If anyone thinks new tech == flawless & bug free, think again...

This is a big reason I have been following the threads. Coming out with a huge under playfield PCB like Vacation America while Stern is moving to smaller distributed assemblies with spike is a huge gamble. You can't keep a company going on one title so if something is not announced then future support for this one title becomes a major concern.

#27 8 years ago

The idea was for more remakes but uncertain with all the issues producing MMr. In any case, it will probably be at least another couple of years before anything is certain.

#28 8 years ago

Plus people are so predictably crazy.

Everyone jumped on MMr and sold out quick.
    Then the complaints on everything from coin mechs to time to release.
    Then they start shipping so everything is good again.
    Then there are issues with shipping damage or slingshots so everyone says they are fed-up and finished.

But if they announced a game next week the same thing will happen.
    Everyone will go crazy and jump on board.
    Then they start yelling at Rick about lack of communication
    . . .

We might as well just copy and paste the entire MMr threads and just rename the game.

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Definitely more than 2 years. Here is the announcement 5 years ago when PPS got the rights. (Pinball News 2010)
    http://www.pinballnews.com/news/williamsrights.html
    There were probably deals behind the scenes to get the boxes of Troll assemblies and other parts we saw pictures of for years.

That was when they bought the Williams/Bally rights, not when they began taking money and going about the process of remaking MM. Maybe they acquired all of Wayno's parts then and even started investigating the feasibility of it, but I think they were more concentrated on the parts business then. I personally don't count anything until they (PPS/CGC) officially announced it and took money for the game. That was expo nearly two years ago.

#30 8 years ago

Wouldn't it be nice if CGC/PPS licensed Spike from Stern and build future remakes on that platform rather than keeping with the Vacation America/MMR method. Then pretty much all they would have to worry about would be software and warranty support. Might even increase sales since collectors would have more games on a common hardware platform.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/monster-bash-or-other-classics-being-remade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.