New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 25406)

monster bash or lotr?

By hb1981

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 72 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Shoot_Again
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“monster bash or lord of the rings”

• monster bash 107 votes
    52%
  • lord of the rings 97 votes
    48%

(204 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Dancing_Monsters_Mummy_Dracula_Franken.gif
MB-pinball-GC-score.jpg

There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

Hi

I am new on this forum. I am a 31 year old guy from Holland and i am turning a spare room in a game room.

I own 2 near mint condition machines at he moment. The addams family and tales from the crypt. I want to buy a third one to complete the room. Wat game do you recommend
monster bash or lotr?

Thanks in advance

#2 8 years ago

Monster Bash for me. LOTR is a damn fine game, but MB is so much more fun IMO.

#4 8 years ago

You have to ask yourself if you want to reach the wizard mode too often or never.

#5 8 years ago

I slightly prefer LOTR's gameplay, but MB wins in every other category.

#6 8 years ago

I really like MB but i wonder if itsnt to easy to be a home game? And lotr maybe a deeper game?

#7 8 years ago

MB is dope... i would get sick of some of the call outs though in a home setting.. however LOTR.. "get hold of yourself" wears pretty thin after a while too

I like the gameplay of both but the theme of LOTR and the challenge pulls me back over MB.. then again I've never owned a MB so am bias.

buy a MB.. worst thing that can happen is you sell it

#8 8 years ago

If you've got an ipad (or other console), get pinball arcade (free).
It has a trial of monster bash. Especially the ipad version
will give you a very good idea of the humor of MB.

I'm the proud owner of a LOTR for several months now,
and I still haven't been able to finish the game. Actually, I'm far far from it.
While it only took me a couple of games to reach the wizard mode of MB.
So the durability of a LOTR is most likely a lot better.
Both are great great games, you can't go wrong with either one,
and they are extremely easy to sell.

#10 8 years ago

Bash

#11 8 years ago

Some games are made for multiple wizardry. MB has the 2 Wizards going which is a fun thing to stagger them etc.

For me I like the call out much better in MB, LOTR actually annoying me a great deal with that ring noise and calling out the rings endlessly. But I can see the flip side of that also.
I would get a MB if you have the chance to get one, as said above the worst thing is a nice chunk of cash.

EDIT: If your goal is to get to a wizard mode and walk away because you've "beaten the game," go LOTR.

#12 8 years ago

You should consider adding a poll. LOTR's for me.

#14 8 years ago

lotr

add a poll, i would like to see the results also.

#15 8 years ago

I have added a poll thanks for all the advice so far!

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from hb1981:

I really like MB but i wonder if itsnt to easy to be a home game? And lotr maybe a deeper game?

MB is too easy for a home game. MB Wizard mode is easier than TAF. Don't get me wrong, its great fun, but I'd take a LOTR for home play - unless you obsess about beating the wizard mode, because LOTR is tough, very tough. Polar opposites for difficulty.

#17 8 years ago

LOTR will be better in the long run, but everyday people love MB. It's just a fun game with great humor. MB costs a lot more than LOTR. A lot more.

#18 8 years ago

I went with MB, although I like LOTR too. I always like the Universal Monsters, ever since I used to watch Abott and Costello re-runs in the 70's LOL. The art, sound, and humor are also big factors for me. Plus it's pretty much immediately accessible, as in you can get to Monsters of Rock within minutes, so you don't have to play for 30 plus minutes to get somewhere. That may be a negative if you like real deep rulesets like on LOTR.

MB is just plain ol' fun, but may be too simple and considered easy for some. As said previously, pretty much polar opposites for difficulty and/or depth of rules.

#19 8 years ago

Wow 50/50 right now, I am hard pressed to choose, but I picked MB, it fun, but Unlike LOTR it seems to attract the kids. Since I have 9 and 10 year old boys that makes it more desirable (the family fun aspect)

#20 8 years ago

Not surprising to see this at 50/50 (I'm about to vote in favor of MB though and that will temporarily break the tie). Both are great pins, but overall I think MB is just more fun. Close call though.

#21 8 years ago

You already have Addams, for humor and quick games.

Lotr gives you depth, and a lot of it.

*owned both. Lotr still here.*

#22 8 years ago

MB to complete your horror theme.

#23 8 years ago

It really depends on your skill level as a player.

Novice: MB
average: toss up
above average: LOTR

MB is too easy for a good player (get bored with it fast) and LOTR is too hard for a novice player (get too frustrated playing it). That's just my opinion anyways.

#24 8 years ago

I found MB simple and gimmicky. Pretty game though.
LOTR probably has more legs... but your preference for one theme over the other may also play a big part in the decision.

#25 8 years ago

Owned both. LOTR is the better game for long term play.

#26 8 years ago

I have had a lot of time on both MB and LoTR and while I also agree that both are excellent games, I clearly enjoy MB more.

#27 8 years ago

I own both. I guess that LOTR would get my vote. But not by much.

#28 8 years ago

Depends on what you want: deep or surface, darker or lighter, serious or humorous, almost insurmountable or very doable.

Own both. LOTR can be a burden due to long long game times, and I can see MB getting a bit old quickly. Both are pretty and well-designed.

Dan

#29 8 years ago

hb1981:

You did not get my approval to start a poll did you?

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

MB is too easy for a good player (get bored with it fast) and LOTR is too hard for a novice player (get too frustrated playing it).

Explains why Rob T loves MB and sold LOTR!

NOW NOW...I'm JUST kidding...but I had to....

#31 8 years ago

My heart belongs to MB but, my desire to reach Valinor is insatiable...
LOTR baby!

#33 8 years ago

Love them both, but LOTR is a pin without equal. Buy with confidence!

#34 8 years ago

I have played LOTR and owned it for 2 days short of 2 weeks. That game destroyed me in my local tourney. MB, which was also at the same tourney last Spring, helped me with a nice comeback on a last ball. So MB has love from me. I just can't really say it's fair for me to choose. MB is in bad shape and not maintained well. LOTR is a great trilogy (theme bias) imho with some dark and intense call outs..... "TO WARRRRRRR!" Obviously this is a matter of taste. Some people like some fun others like the rush from completing a very difficult game. Add themes and all that blah blah. IMHO MB is goofy and campy and not a theme for me. I like the game though. I'm just too much of a newb to say I have the experience to vote on the poll, but I will give you my opinion. LOTR!~
To be fair, I own LOTR and played it in the same Tourney last year with MB. LOTR overwhelmed me. I owned it 2 weeks and I'm up to 90+ million all set on medium settings. I do find all the 555 and easy to access GI and inserts makes it a breeze to add lights. Be patient and honestly I don't think you can predict a correct decision without having both for 3 months and then decided which one to part with lol. GL

#35 8 years ago

I have both. Monster is plain fun lots of shots but relatively easy to pick up and play. Monster Bash is pretty easy to get to just need to start all the modes. I really like mosh pit multiball. Monsters of Rock takes a bit more as all modes need to be completed.

Lord of the Rings is super deep. I got mine new in 03 and have not even tickled Valinor. I have completed all the modes just never in the same game. I have destroyed the ring many times and have done there and back again several times. It is one of the best two flipper games ever made. All modes are just exceptionally done, stacking gollum multiball with say return of the king multiball gets great scores.

When family and friends come over the more casual players like monster bash, It is just a fun game to pick up and play with a great theme, but the guys that play pinball enjoy Monster Bash end up at lord of the Rings.

Neither will leave but if I had to pick one Lord of the Rings would be it. It also helps that it goes for about half of what a decent Monster Bash sells for. Good luck!

#36 8 years ago

Monster Bash for sure!

#37 8 years ago

Explains why Rob T loves MB and sold LOTR!
NOW NOW...I'm JUST kidding...but I had to....

lol

Let me know when you pass the billion point mark on your MB!

MB-pinball-GC-score.jpg

#38 8 years ago

I voted LOTR over MB in a 3-game collection. That being said, I love MB too. Even though it's a lot easier to beat, MB has the beautiful art, great theme, humor and music plus all the toys, and it's just fun. I say get 'em both if you eventually can, but get LOTR first in a small collection with the pins you have already.

Todd

#39 8 years ago

MB is more fun and probably easier. LOTR is **probably** deeper (Not good enough to really explore all its possibilities). Both are very good games. I have a slight preference for LOTR because of the theme.
(Sadly, where I used to play it on location, it has been replaced by... South Park...sigh)

#40 8 years ago

LOTR by a mile.

For MB, you'll play about 3 games on it, and see everything the game has, both endings the works. The game is way to easy for a home environment. If you have 60 games in your collection, it probably would be suited to stick around longer for the humor factor. LOTR will last for a long time in any size collection. Complex , deep and extremely difficult. You'll be playing it for years and still not see the ending. Unless you cheat and put it on 5 balls, extra balls given out like candy and specials kicking out extra balls. But i'd refrain from doing that, as getting there is part of the enjoyment. Make it last.

#41 8 years ago

MB, just a fun, enjoyable game that looks awesome as well.

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

It really depends on your skill level as a player.
Novice: MB
average: toss up
above average: LOTR
MB is too easy for a good player (get bored with it fast) and LOTR is too hard for a novice player (get too frustrated playing it). That's just my opinion anyways.

I ha te toe say i am a good later but i can say i am above novice. I have owned a twilight zone in the past and tot lost in the zone Every game sometimes twice

But MB is really fun just hoping i dont get
tired of it and would rather have lotr

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

hb1981:
You did not get my approval to start a poll did you?

Is that a joke or serious since i am new here i dont know

Thanks to everyone for the reactions so far you are great! I really Love this forum

#44 8 years ago

TZ is the first pin I ever bought. I've gotten to LITZ 3 times ever. With MB I can get to the end nearly every time I play it at shows and friends houses. If your busting TZ's balls. your going to get sick of MB really quick.

You have your TZ set to 5 ball with the lanes closed up? Because I don't know of anyone that can get LITZ every time. The game is just too random. One game you can have the game of your life, next game you get 30 million and look like you never played before.

#45 8 years ago

I had it on 5 but no closed up lanes. Later i had it on 3 balls i did not it always. Everyone had drains but often i went litz before the third balTwilight zone is deep but not that difficult once you play it daily

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from TG:

I voted LOTR over MB in a 3-game collection. That being said, I love MB too. Even though it's a lot easier to beat, MB has the beautiful art, great theme, humor and music plus all the toys, and it's just fun. I say get 'em both if you eventually can, but get LOTR first in a small collection with the pins you have already.
Todd

The future plan is to replace tales from he crypt with maybe the other one but hat Will take maybe a year since i am no really rich guy and praying the prices dont rise An further while saving

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

TZ is the first pin I ever bought. I've gotten to LITZ 3 times ever.

You suck.

I got to LITZ within my first 24 hours of owning the pin.

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

You suck.

I got to LITZ within my first 24 hours of owning the pin.

Your a pretty good player by my book. I've had mine for a year and a half now and have only been there 4-5 times and only once without a buy-in. I do suck though.

I did get to MB the 2nd time I played MB.

#49 8 years ago

If you can afford a MB, might as well get both. They seem to be very complementary pins.

Otherwise for fast, fun, flow, and humor that will make you smile -> MB
For extreme challenge, lengthy games, and a serious tone -> LOTR

Awesome dilemma to have.

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from hb1981:

Is that a joke or serious since i am new here i dont know
Thanks to everyone for the reactions so far you are great! I really Love this forum

Total joke...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.95
There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside