Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which one would you rather have?”

• Monster bash 89 votes
    43%
  • Lord of the rings 120 votes
    57%

(209 votes)

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 11 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

There can be big payoffs in LOTR, but it isn't nearly as intense as other stacking games like BSD, IM, etc. I find that even if you setup things you don't even notice how many points you're scoring due to trying to concentrate on the multiball and it just sort of 'happens'. It's not nearly the stacking machine that TSPP is (which I find to best overall stacking machine in pinball today) but it does have a lot of different cool modes that are fun to play.

I think the biggest payoffs in LOTR would be to get 2x scoring from GotE just before starting TABA. Big time points available doing that.

#52 11 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I'm curious why people find LOTR 'so deep'

Besides trying to battle for valinor... what's so complex?
Keep your multiplier up during multi-ball...
get golum before big mode or multiball...
stack a mode with a multiball to help with some modes..
try to finish modes for elf gift and battle for valinor

Two modes are combo modes.. everything else is just shoot all lit shots.

Besides battling for valinor... and collecting human rings (for golum) there is little 'setup' for the big payoff. You can just slug your way through it with largely the same result.

What am I missing that everyone finds so mystic about it?
Disclaimer - I own the game so this isn't some random bash.

The modes are not easy to start, need to build elf rings to do so, not just make a shot to start mode. Each mode does a well above average job of using a lot of the PF in interesting ways and can be stacked with multiballs and some gifts. Gifts add further modes/multiballs. Multiball modes are extremely unique in their workings, and all offer further jackpots and victory laps.

All multiballs and modes can be stacked, mutliple MBs as well. Gollum is better suited to restart MBs rather than before as you noted, unless it's right before TTBA. There are multiple mini wizard modes (DTR, TTBA, super ring multiball frenzy MB). There are many little extras, bash balrog, mystery, Ring Frenzy, Palantir etc. The physical shots are unique above most machines, in the ring shot launching a ball through the air into a magnet, the cave shot, where a perfect shot generally goes straight through, and doesn't stick.

All has to be timed right as well, as starting up a MB say before your 2nd DTR may make getting to your 3rd DTR, and possibly valinor much more difficult.

The stacking with all possibilities, especially with 2x scoring is crazy. I have had a super ring multiball frenzy MB (7th gift) going one time where I was hitting jackpots over 16m a piece.

LOTR has incredible depth, in the amount to do, the ways you can stack it, and in how to further extend each mode/MB, and how to better maximize your chance to get to Valinor. Keith Johnson is a pinball software genius. TSPP and LOTR are the only reasons I'm buying WOZ.

MB was the precurser PF design to LOTR, but there is no depth. Fun, frustrating when you can't line up the planets like you hoped, but it's no LOTR.

#53 11 years ago

Buy 2 LOTR's for the price of a MB
MB is a great game that comes with a premium.....

#54 11 years ago

I'm still waiting for the 84x multiplier by hitting Triple Jackpot 7 during Two Towers Multiball, stacked with 2x playfield, and double Gollum scoring.

#55 10 years ago
Quoted from Kingoftron:

Zero humor with lotr, that game is dead serious at all times.

Is that right? I have only played lotr at an airport once,so i wouldn't know.I have not seen the movies either.

I thought tz was the humourless champ.

#56 10 years ago
Quoted from chalkup8:

Is that right? I have only played lotr at an airport once,so i wouldn't know.I have not seen the movies either.
I thought tz was the humourless champ.

"Stick him behind the knee laddy"

That line cracks me up everytime in Witch King mode. I'm saying it for an hour after I hear it every time.

#57 10 years ago

LOTR, no doubt.

#58 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

The modes are not easy to start, need to build elf rings to do so, not just make a shot to start mode

Hrmm.. most games require a shot to relight mode start. LOTR instead has 'lots of shots' that can relight mode start. Instead of requiring a specific hard shot.. it dumbs down and the elf ring can be one of many.. and instead of making it difficult (like needing the combo) you can just limp through it too. I don't find this to be depth.. it's actually easier than the previous standard of 'must make the shot' to light modes.

Quoted from Atomicboy:

Each mode does a well above average job of using a lot of the PF in interesting ways and can be stacked with multiballs and some gifts. Gifts add further modes/multiballs. Multiball modes are extremely unique in their workings, and all offer further jackpots and victory laps.

I don't find 'hit the all the lit jackpots - then repeat' all that unique. The only one that deviates from that is fellowship. I like the multiplier potentials.. and add-a-ball is fun.. but is another reason people think the game dumbs down a bit. The MBs are the typical 'everything is lit for jackpot' instead of giving a specific difficult objective.

Quoted from Atomicboy:

All multiballs and modes can be stacked, mutliple MBs as well.

A bit of a stretch there... The movie multiballs can not be stacked with each other.. and only one mode can be running at a time. You can have a movie multiball, a mode, and one gift/hurry-up running at a time. The odd man out there that doesn't fit that rule is gollum which I really like as a accessible twist to how you want to score and do add-a-ball. That angle I really like. The multiplier effect in two towers is nice too.. but it's still a 'shot anything' type of mode.

Quoted from Atomicboy:

There are multiple mini wizard modes (DTR, TTBA, super ring multiball frenzy MB). There are many little extras, bash balrog, mystery, Ring Frenzy, Palantir etc. The physical shots are unique above most machines, in the ring shot launching a ball through the air into a magnet, the cave shot, where a perfect shot generally goes straight through, and doesn't stick.

The extra 'completion' modes I'll give you as a solid benefit. DTR is a great concept.. especially the bash the held ball. The rest.. those are just like the mystery awards in every other game.. some hurry-ups, some 'hit the target' mini-mode, etc.

Quoted from Atomicboy:

MB was the precurser PF design to LOTR, but there is no depth. Fun, frustrating when you can't line up the planets like you hoped, but it's no LOTR.

I think my complaint may be that LOTR just rewards 'hit anything' all too much and besides missing valinor (which lets be honest.. isn't a real factor in 99.999% games) there is little penalty for not completing an objective. The biggest risk is blowing your gift multiplier.

MB on the other hand... start that multiball wrong..or fail to get that mode start in first.. and you really penalize yourself. It very much is 'setup.. setup.. try to maximize' and if you blow it.. you really blow it.

Multipliers in LOTR grow on trees..

#59 10 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Hrmm.. most games require a shot to relight mode start. LOTR instead has 'lots of shots' that can relight mode start. Instead of requiring a specific hard shot.. it dumbs down and the elf ring can be one of many.. and instead of making it difficult (like needing the combo) you can just limp through it too. I don't find this to be depth.. it's actually easier than the previous standard of 'must make the shot' to light modes.

I don't find 'hit the all the lit jackpots - then repeat' all that unique. The only one that deviates from that is fellowship. I like the multiplier potentials.. and add-a-ball is fun.. but is another reason people think the game dumbs down a bit. The MBs are the typical 'everything is lit for jackpot' instead of giving a specific difficult objective.

A bit of a stretch there... The movie multiballs can not be stacked with each other.. and only one mode can be running at a time. You can have a movie multiball, a mode, and one gift/hurry-up running at a time. The odd man out there that doesn't fit that rule is gollum which I really like as a accessible twist to how you want to score and do add-a-ball. That angle I really like. The multiplier effect in two towers is nice too.. but it's still a 'shot anything' type of mode.

The extra 'completion' modes I'll give you as a solid benefit. DTR is a great concept.. especially the bash the held ball. The rest.. those are just like the mystery awards in every other game.. some hurry-ups, some 'hit the target' mini-mode, etc.

I think my complaint may be that LOTR just rewards 'hit anything' all too much and besides missing valinor (which lets be honest.. isn't a real factor in 99.999% games) there is little penalty for not completing an objective. The biggest risk is blowing your gift multiplier.
MB on the other hand... start that multiball wrong..or fail to get that mode start in first.. and you really penalize yourself. It very much is 'setup.. setup.. try to maximize' and if you blow it.. you really blow it.

*PLONK!!!*

#60 10 years ago

This sounds nitpicky to me. There's tons to do in LOTR and tons of ways to do them. Plus additional modes for competing goals. I also wouldn't say that LOTR rewards "hit anything" too much at all. You can't just hit anything for Ring Wraiths, can't just hit anything for Ents, can't just hit anything Witch King... I feel there's very little "just hit anything". Two Towers sure, but each shot unlights reducing the amount of shots left to keep your combo going. If LOTR doesn't have depth, then very few pins do.

#61 10 years ago

For me

for competition lord ,for fun MB

#62 10 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

It requires three shots, either by CHANGING elf shots, or the ring, then to hit the ring again to start the mode. Other than Maverick, there is no machine I can think of that has a more to do in starting a mode than LOTR. Hence, depth.

Quoted from flynnibus:

Typical everything is lit?? TTT has everything lit, and compounds jackpots if you unlight each in a certain time limit, or they reset.

Fellowship requires balrog then ramp shots to pass each character across the bridge.

RTK as four shots that have to be hit in line, then resets.

They are all unique, and have been the basis for many future stern machines, which in fact have dumbed this idea down / drowned it out.

I have never heard anyone refer to LOTR as "dumbed down" in any way shape or form.

Quoted from flynnibus:

You can stack a movie with a mode, and ring frenzie, super ring frenzie (multi), and modes with ring multiball. Gollum, as you noted, adds man options to everything, and is the only thing stackable with TTBA, which makes that MUCH easier to complete.

I have had up to 4 things stacked at once. Hence, it's a great stacker.

TTT isn't a hit anything. Sure that is how it starts, but it's made to hit a few easy ones, from whatever side is easy, and then within the time constraint, pick the remainders, and this is where the points build. Great idea, where a noob can feel like they are accomplishing something, just as an experienced player can by getting deeper.

Quoted from flynnibus:

Super Ring Multiball Fenzie MB is awesome as well, as the 7th gift. The rest are random awards, but work well gelled with everything, and add to the depth as a whole as additional things available / to do. The planitir is a great addition, and does something for almost every mode / MB, mostly more time and add a ball, but very very important to have lit before starting anything IMO. That is something quite unique. All this adds to the depth of what these rules offer.

Quoted from flynnibus:

No penalty for no completing an objective? Few games have such a system for this in the gifts as LOTR. Without completion of 7 things, you can't reach Valinor. It's more important for completions over any other machine IMO.

What games other than TSPP do you consider deeper than LOTR?

#63 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

It requires three shots, either by CHANGING elf shots, or the ring, then to hit the ring again to start the mode. Other than Maverick, there is no machine I can think of that has a more to do in starting a mode than LOTR. Hence, depth.

No, it requires 'three lights' of elf. Hit any lit elf.. and yes at times it's down to one, but hit that and then ANY combo and you're there. Is it that different than every other game of 'hit the bank three times to open the bank'? The shot 'moves' but that's about it. The 'hit any combo' award of 2 rings makes it pretty easy.

Quoted from Atomicboy:

Typical everything is lit?? TTT has everything lit, and compounds jackpots if you unlight each in a certain time limit, or they reset.
Fellowship requires balrog then ramp shots to pass each character across the bridge.
RTK as four shots that have to be hit in line, then resets.
They are all unique, and have been the basis for many future stern machines, which in fact have dumbed this idea down / drowned it out.

Contrast this with many other games that require an objective to lite the jackpot and then a challenging shot to collect it. LOTR rewards you for hitting 'any' shot in TTT... even if you can't complete the set of shots. RoTK isn't that much different.. just complete the set. There is extra juice in there in the sequencing.. but it still rewards 'everything is lit' mentality.

Quoted from Atomicboy:

I have never heard anyone refer to LOTR as "dumbed down" in any way shape or form.

Compared to precision shot games it is. Even many SS games are more fickle in forcing you to hit something or LOSE the objective. LOTR says 'no worries man.. just keep bashing away'.

Quoted from Atomicboy:

TTT isn't a hit anything. Sure that is how it starts, but it's made to hit a few easy ones, from whatever side is easy, and then within the time constraint, pick the remainders, and this is where the points build. Great idea, where a noob can feel like they are accomplishing something, just as an experienced player can by getting deeper.

It rewards you for doing better - but still is a 'everything is lit' typical stern multiball. It does add to the approachability of the game (as you say) because everyone loves to hear 'jackpot!' but contrasted with games where collecting the jackpot is a true objective.. it's way dumbed down.

Quoted from Atomicboy:

The planitir is a great addition, and does something for almost every mode / MB, mostly more time and add a ball, but very very important to have lit before starting anything IMO. That is something quite unique. All this adds to the depth of what these rules offer.

It's a mystery award just like so many other games. heck, in the discussion of MB, it too helps spot you along the way with character completes, freebies, etc.

Quoted from Atomicboy:

No penalty for no completing an objective? Few games have such a system for this in the gifts as LOTR. Without completion of 7 things, you can't reach Valinor. It's more important for completions over any other machine IMO.

Valinor isn't part of the discussion.. it like the mode in TSPP aren't really part of everyday play. Completions are important to advance towards valinor.. but in the other 2,000 games you play? The gifts are the true payoff. But is it that much different? Look at other games (again MB) where you need the completion to play the true wizard mode... or in STTNG to boost your rewards in Final Frontier.. or in classic games where no completion.. no big score for playing it.. any target game where missing the shot means starting over with the bank, etc.

Quoted from Atomicboy:

What games other than TSPP do you consider deeper than LOTR?

There are a lot of games that are more technical and more precision... but don't have the scale of LOTR simply because the newer games have so much capacity than the older games. But there are countless SS and even EMs that reward and punish you for 'doing it right' vs simply 'doing something' like many of the modern sterns do.

LOTR is so approachable because it does reward so easily. It also lacks many true risk shots (sans ring ramp). So approachable, and safe playing... long play time. You don't see the game making many tournament finals... there is reason for that.

#64 10 years ago

...well I'm not sure what to say, you even saying my notes on how a mode can be started are wrong, amongst other things, so this discussion is futile.

I don't agree that you can hit anything. TTT is the closest, but you lose all the strategy of picking the ones still lit if you do that, and above that, there are nothing else other than warg mode, after hitting the left ramp, where all shots are lit. Even then, you have to pick each one, just not randomly continue to hit anything.

I don't think you're find too many people agreeing that LOTR is not deep.

#65 10 years ago

Wow! I just scanned through this thread and am surprised! I would have thought MB would have won by a large margin! Looks like I have to play LOTR again....

#66 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

...well I'm not sure what to say, you even saying my notes on how a mode can be started are wrong, amongst other things, so this discussion is futile.

Lets be honest.. mode start light? It takes 1 combo or three shots. That's not depth - that's just run of the mill. No one calls AFM's saucer deep simply because it takes more than one shot...

Quoted from Atomicboy:

I don't agree that you can hit anything. TTT is the closest, but you lose all the strategy of picking the ones still lit if you do that, and above that, there are nothing else other than warg mode, after hitting the left ramp, where all shots are lit. Even then, you have to pick each one, just not randomly continue to hit anything.

Witch King is the only mode I find truly technical.. The others don't like ALL shots.. but are close enough. Ent? ok, so 3 out of 6 (or 8 if you count sam and gollum).. shelob.. shoot 6 of em in alternating sets. Warg.. shoot them all once. G&S.. basically hit the two ramps as much as you can.. Wraiths.. just hit the lit shot (plus a hurry up count). Wraiths is the most 'restricted' - yet is arguably the easiest mode to complete. WitchKing I find to be the most difficult due to the # of combos needed. There are scoring twists in there.. but which mode introduces something that is unique to the mode? Or has you do something different from the rest of the game?

Quoted from Atomicboy:

I don't think you're find too many people agreeing that LOTR is not deep.

You'll find plenty of people that aren't into it because they prefer card type games, or others that reward much more frugally.

#67 10 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Lets be honest.. mode start light? It takes 1 combo or three shots. That's not depth - that's just run of the mill. No one calls AFM's saucer deep simply because it takes more than one shot...

So...you want the mode start to be "tougher"? What do you want here? Give me an example.

Quoted from flynnibus:

Witch King is the only mode I find truly technical.. The others don't like ALL shots.. but are close enough. Ent? ok, so 3 out of 6 (or 8 if you count sam and gollum).. shelob.. shoot 6 of em in alternating sets. Warg.. shoot them all once. G&S.. basically hit the two ramps as much as you can.. Wraiths.. just hit the lit shot (plus a hurry up count). Wraiths is the most 'restricted' - yet is arguably the easiest mode to complete. WitchKing I find to be the most difficult due to the # of combos needed. There are scoring twists in there.. but which mode introduces something that is unique to the mode? Or has you do something different from the rest of the game?

Again. What do you want here? There is only so much you can do...LOTR does a pretty good job at having unique modes. Name a couple games that do it better.

#68 10 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

You don't see the game making many tournament finals... there is reason for that.

*insert owl image*

Oh Really?

http://pinball.org/videos/tournament/papa/2012-pinburgh-division-b-final-lord-of-the-rings/

#69 10 years ago

Had LOTR and sold it after a few years, nice game. Still have MB after 6 years in the house. The difference is that for me MB is more fun. LOTR was more like work to me. Too long ball times and not as smooth as MB. So for fun get MB, to test your skills over and over again get LOTR.

#70 10 years ago
Quoted from beefzap:

Too long ball times and not as smooth as MB.

Too long ball times can be fixed with pitch and outlane post positions (on ANY game)...smoothness IMO cannot be fixed on LOTR. Too many clunky shots for me. Even the superb software couldn't overcome that for me so I sold it.

#71 10 years ago

Cody?

#72 10 years ago

MB is hard to beat in the fun factor and overall presentation. The music and dots make it a fun one for sure.

#73 10 years ago

Played both many times. Chose not to buy either. Like MB , fun VS price , I passed. Respect everyone for their choices . This hobby is great.

#74 10 years ago
Quoted from Banker:

Played both many times. Chose not to buy either. Like MB , fun VS price , I passed. Respect everyone for their choices . This hobby is great.

The best part about this hobby is that there are so many options. There are are games for everyone that likes pinball. And if you don't like pinball you don't have to choose any game. You're probably an asshole though.

#75 10 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

This is why I turn off the extra balls, and open up the out lanes. If you play an hour and a half game on my LOTR your a freak of nature. I did this a while back so that I would not bore myself of the game.

There it is! It really bugs me when people say they don't like LOTR because of the 1.5 hour games! Shut off extra balls, open the outlanes, set everything to extra hard, increase the incline, remove the outlane rubber. If you are playing too long in a game you don't have it set up right. No, you won't get to Valinor like this, but that is ok. You will have a lot of short frustrating games where DTR is a huge accomplishment. That is the right setup. PEN has it exactly right.

#76 10 years ago

MB all the way , If you have a chance to pick one up at a decent price I'd get it .
you could always pick up a lotr later.

#77 10 years ago

Wow...flynnibus/atomboy...Great back and forth! Did you guys practice that?

#78 10 years ago

Yes, but if I "had" to choose (and I have owned both for many years) LOTR

#79 10 years ago

Both. They go great right next to one another.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.50
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 18.95
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 25.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/monster-bash-or-lord-of-the-rings/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.