Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which one would you rather have?”

• Monster bash 89 votes
    43%
  • Lord of the rings 120 votes
    57%

(209 votes)

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

Which one would you rather have?

#2 11 years ago

LOTR....deeper rules. Though MB has the awesome Universal Monsters theme

#3 11 years ago

Monster Bash...by a body part!

#4 11 years ago

I have them both,I would keep LOTR LE over MB.
There is so much more to do on LOTR.

#5 11 years ago

LOTR LE if you can find one at a reasonable price.Great game,keeps you interested.

#6 11 years ago

Both

#7 11 years ago

Get a SS and with the $$ saved get a LOTR as well.

#8 11 years ago

LOTR...... but the MB is a much prettier game to look at based on cosmetics.

#10 11 years ago

I think if I was to own only one game it would be LOTR. So much to do.

#11 11 years ago

Used to own both, now just MB.

I love both machines, and both are all time greats. After awhile, however, you may find yourself not playing LOTR very often due to the long ball times. IIRC there are 9 factory EB's in LOTR. When friends come over to play and if you all start a 4 player game and know how to play, that's your entire night. The game you want to have on LOTR is a 1.5 hr game. So often, you'll pass it over, just not wanting to invest that much time in almost getting there, and play other machines. It's a great machine, and one I may own again, but with limited room, and after achieving Valinor in a really long game, I found myself not firing it up as much and wanting a change.

LOTR is a great machine to own in the right collection, and half the price of MB as well. MB is great anywhere, any time, in any collection, and never ever gets old for me.

#13 11 years ago

Have both and IMO MB by a mile .

#14 11 years ago

Every 'walk up' player in my place loves LOTR. MB was an acquired taste - but I'd love to have one.

#15 11 years ago

Flow or Stop and Go? Whatever you prefer!

#17 11 years ago

+1 Agreed. I had a blast playing LOTR with the shaker motor kit installed.
MB is fun also, Dont get me wrong, But you maybe on LOTR longer than MB.

Im just saying...

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

I love both machines, and both are all time greats. After awhile, however, you may find yourself not playing LOTR very often due to the long ball times. IIRC there are 9 factory EB's in LOTR. When friends come over to play and if you all start a 4 player game and know how to play, that's your entire night. The game you want to have on LOTR is a 1.5 hr game. So often, you'll pass it over, just not wanting to invest that much time in almost getting there, and play other machines. It's a great machine, and one I may own again, but with limited room, and after achieving Valinor in a really long game, I found myself not firing it up as much and wanting a change.
LOTR is a great machine to own in the right collection, and half the price of MB as well. MB is great anywhere, any time, in any collection, and never ever gets old for me.

Be careful Propaganda will come along and ask to see your LOTR audits to verify the long ball times in LOTR. (:

#19 11 years ago

I just sold my LOTR, great game but looong ball times. I'm looking to buy a MB, played it at APE a couple of months ago and now I gotta have it!

#20 11 years ago

I like both but MB for me.

#21 11 years ago

MB may be one of the best games- ever. Go for it! Hard to find around me!

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Be careful Propaganda will come along and ask to see your LOTR audits to verify the long ball times in LOTR. (:

You haven't ignored him yet?

#23 11 years ago

I like both, I had both, LOTR is still here.

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Be careful Propaganda will come along and ask to see your LOTR audits

#25 11 years ago

Actually, we came to the agreement that...

LOTR ball times depend on who is playing, and how hard the machine is set up.

#27 11 years ago

have not owed either, would go with mb 1st

#28 11 years ago

Not even close MB all the way for me. LOTR is great but I agree with some of the disadvantages of the game. With Monster Bash it has such a great relatively easy rules and can be fun for everyone quickly. Not to mention an A+ soundtrack and great humor!

#29 11 years ago

Its close but, I have to go with LOTR. Just an epic game.

#30 11 years ago

No contest as I have owned both. LoTR is the choice. The repetitive music and easy play on MB will drive you to drink, lose conscienceness, disorientation and potentially even cause you to buy a WoZ.

#31 11 years ago

The ironic thing about both games is that if you're a good player, they can both suck the life out of you. MB because it's too easy, and LOTR because it's too long. MB is a very pretty game with great toys, but after you play it a while it seems like you can make it deep into the game every single time. High on fun, not as much on challenge. LOTR is the opposite, I find the fun factor somewhat low but the challenge factor is ridiculous. Of the two, I'd rather have LOTR over MB for the challenge, I'd rather be getting cramps and being exhausted over bored in the long run.

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

This is why I turn off the extra balls, and open up the out lanes. If you play an hour and a half game on my LOTR your a freak of nature. I did this a while back so that I would not bore myself of the game.

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

This is why I turn off the extra balls, and open up the out lanes. If you play an hour and a half game on my LOTR your a freak of nature. I did this a while back so that I would not bore myself of the game.

So you are saying you want it so you have no chance of ever seeing the Wizard mode ever?

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

So you are saying you want it so you have no chance of ever seeing the Wizard mode ever?

Not at all. I can move the outlanes back and change the extra ball at anytime. I changed the settings 2 years ago before a league night at my house, and I have enjoyed it set up this way since. I may change my mind and want to try and get to the elusive end, but for now I like the challenge of just destroying the ring in its current set up.

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

Not at all. I can move the outlanes back and change the extra ball at anytime. I changed the settings 2 years ago before a league night at my house, and I have enjoyed it set up this way since. I may change my mind and want to try and get to the elusive end, but for now I like the challenge of just destroying the ring in its current set up.

Fair enough.

#36 11 years ago

You can get lotr and another badass pin for one mb.

#37 11 years ago

Both are great but monter bash all day long

#39 11 years ago

MB!! LOTR 1.5hrs to get to the end (if youre lucky)... lol

#40 11 years ago

I find myself playing MB more than any other Williams/Bally titles from the 90's. LOTR...well I am not a fan of the theme so I wouldn't be able to give an opinion that is fair and accurate.

#41 10 years ago

Love me some MB, but after playing both extensively, I bought a LOTR LE. (and I don't regret my decision)

#42 10 years ago

Probably LOTR since MB is an easier and shallow game. Can get old fast. Although, if I had to buy one of the other Id buy MB just because they are much harder to snag. LOTR's are floating around still, NIB on occasion too.

#43 10 years ago

For gameplay and rules, definitely lotr. But Monster Bash has the superior art package, and humor. Zero humor with lotr, that game is dead serious at all times.

#44 10 years ago

Wow... I can't believe this poll is this close.

I have both, but there is no comparison whatsoever - LOTR is a serious epic battle. MB is good fun, but doesn't have the play value LOTR - not by a long shot.

In considering though, people that aren’t that good may find MB more fun, as LOTR is a long journey that requires skill. If you are a casual player, and like shorter games, and don’t care to get into deep rules, MB may be the better machine for you.

Given you have one machine, and I’m assuming are contemplating a trade, LOTR offers much more as a single machine than MB.

#45 10 years ago

I'm curious why people find LOTR 'so deep'

Besides trying to battle for valinor... what's so complex?
Keep your multiplier up during multi-ball...
get golum before big mode or multiball...
stack a mode with a multiball to help with some modes..
try to finish modes for elf gift and battle for valinor

Two modes are combo modes.. everything else is just shoot all lit shots.

Besides battling for valinor... and collecting human rings (for golum) there is little 'setup' for the big payoff. You can just slug your way through it with largely the same result.

What am I missing that everyone finds so mystic about it?
Disclaimer - I own the game so this isn't some random bash.

I like that in MB you have the stacking... the mosh pit as a good twist... and the 'big payoff' where you are being selective in when you start modes to get the best chance of completion and payoff towards Monsters of Rock.

Certainly the 'award' shots in MB are simple as well... hit the character again.. but completing the modes is so much more worth it (compared to trying to reach the impossible valinor).

What am I missing?

#46 10 years ago

I just sold my LOTR. My original intentions were that I'd pick up another, nicer one in the coming years, but after some more thought and some final plays, I think I've decided not to replace it. It just feels way too tedious. Not only are the ball times long, they NEED to be long because it just takes so damn long to complete everything. Nothing like having a *bad* 30+ minute game.

Cheated to get to Valinor, it wasn't impressive in the slightest. Just a big point multiball with boring music and no sound effects or new dots. Meh.

#47 10 years ago

I can't decide. Srsly. I like them both too much...depending on my mood I will choose to play one over another....but at this time I seriously couldn't decide which to kick out. Glad I don't have to.

#48 10 years ago

Have had them both. Tough choice. Would go with LOTR by a smidgen. Neither is in my top 20 though.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

Cheated to get to Valinor, it wasn't impressive in the slightest. Just a big point multiball with boring music and no sound effects or new dots. Meh.

That means nothing to me as I know with my skills I will never see Valinor so, I basically put it out of my mind that it even exists. I shoot for DTR and TABA, those 2 goals alone keep me coming back for more.

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I'm curious why people find LOTR 'so deep'
Besides trying to battle for valinor... what's so complex?
Keep your multiplier up during multi-ball...
get golum before big mode or multiball...
stack a mode with a multiball to help with some modes..
try to finish modes for elf gift and battle for valinor
Two modes are combo modes.. everything else is just shoot all lit shots.
Besides battling for valinor... and collecting human rings (for golum) there is little 'setup' for the big payoff. You can just slug your way through it with largely the same result.
What am I missing that everyone finds so mystic about it?
Disclaimer - I own the game so this isn't some random bash.
I like that in MB you have the stacking... the mosh pit as a good twist... and the 'big payoff' where you are being selective in when you start modes to get the best chance of completion and payoff towards Monsters of Rock.
Certainly the 'award' shots in MB are simple as well... hit the character again.. but completing the modes is so much more worth it (compared to trying to reach the impossible valinor).
What am I missing?

There can be big payoffs in LOTR, but it isn't nearly as intense as other stacking games like BSD, IM, etc. I find that even if you setup things you don't even notice how many points you're scoring due to trying to concentrate on the multiball and it just sort of 'happens'. It's not nearly the stacking machine that TSPP is (which I find to best overall stacking machine in pinball today) but it does have a lot of different cool modes that are fun to play.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 7.50
$ 72.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/monster-bash-or-lord-of-the-rings and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.