IMG_1465 (resized).JPG
IMG_1464 (resized).JPG
IMG_1463 (resized).JPG
IMG_1462 (resized).JPG
IMG_1461 (resized).JPG
IMG_1460 (resized).JPG
IMG_1459 (resized).JPG
IMG_1458 (resized).JPG
There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 7 years ago

20160920_215900 (resized).jpg20160920_215900 (resized).jpg

#102 7 years ago

Went by and checked this game out last night. Its going to be something else. The powder coat color is a perfect fit for the game.
Can't wait to spend time flipping on it. Nice work Knockerlover

#103 7 years ago

now I find this thread...

#104 7 years ago

Good job on decal placement for start button. Going to be restoring my wife's MB this winter. Enjoy!!
Bob

#105 7 years ago

What do you MB owners do about busted Frank assemblies? I just saw a NOS Frank on Ebay listed for a thousand dollars. Insanity.
This game needs more parts remade.

Your game is beautiful BTW.

#106 7 years ago
Quoted from mamawaldee:

What do you MB owners do about busted Frank assemblies? I just saw a NOS Frank on Ebay listed for a thousand dollars. Insanity.

Ministry of Pinball was selling them for about $50, but it looks like they are out of stock. There were some losers (I called one of them out here on Pinside) buying them up and flipping them for 5X about 2 years ago - probably why they are out of stock now. I would inquire with Ministry to find out when they anticipate restocking. $1000 is nuts - I would mount a nice block of wood on Franky's lab table before I'd pay that much!

1 week later
#107 7 years ago

It is time. He will be the greatest organ player ever!!!

0930161836b (resized).jpg0930161836b (resized).jpg

0930161836 (resized).jpg0930161836 (resized).jpg

#108 7 years ago

DOUBLE ROTISSERIE! Talked to burningman about your MB yesterday, we both can't wait to play it!

1 week later
#109 7 years ago

The old playfield is finally free!

Getting the coils and wire chases attached. Taking each assembly apart cleaning it and replacing all the coil sleeves. Cataloging parts that need to be replaced.

20161002_144756 (resized).jpg20161002_144756 (resized).jpg

20161002_144805 (resized).jpg20161002_144805 (resized).jpg

#110 7 years ago

This operator must have welded this thing a few times. Wow.

20161008_080553 (resized).jpg20161008_080553 (resized).jpg

#111 7 years ago

Re attaching everything one at a time.

20161009_145520 (resized).jpg20161009_145520 (resized).jpg

#112 7 years ago

Old and new plastics (and protectors) prepped to be reassembed and riveted.

20161009_160114 (resized).jpg20161009_160114 (resized).jpg

#113 7 years ago

Simple green and toothbrush treatment, a little air compressor love then into the oven.

20161009_191628 (resized).jpg20161009_191628 (resized).jpg

20161009_192301 (resized).jpg20161009_192301 (resized).jpg

#115 7 years ago

Wow..... Iove this thread! Great work!

#116 7 years ago

What does the oven do? Re-flow solder?

#117 7 years ago
Quoted from rx3:

What does the oven do? Re-flow solder?

Dry things out quicker

#118 7 years ago

That oven pic at first glance looked like bacon.

Coming along nice knockerlover.

#119 7 years ago

First - phenomenal restoration. I'm amazed - I do not have the patience you have to work on a game this meticulously! The paint job you did on the figures is excellent!

I've seen a couple of comments referring to people buying re-imports, and I'm curious how you all find them? my CFTBL is a re-import but I bought it from another pinsider and it had already been (sort of) worked on. PF is in great shape but the wiring is a mess. So how do you find them when they're overseas?

#120 7 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

First - phenomenal restoration. I'm amazed - I do not have the patience you have to work on a game this meticulously! The paint job you did on the figures is excellent!
I've seen a couple of comments referring to people buying re-imports, and I'm curious how you all find them? my CFTBL is a re-import but I bought it from another pinsider and it had already been (sort of) worked on. PF is in great shape but the wiring is a mess. So how do you find them when they're overseas?

Thanks! I've wondered this myself, I bought mine from a dealer who "knows a guy" in Berlin with containers of games like this.. AFM, MB, etc. and imports about 5 at a time and flips them. I would love to find a good source myself, but only for my own personal restoration and collection.

#121 7 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

Thanks! I've wondered this myself, I bought mine from a dealer who "knows a guy" in Berlin with containers of games like this.. AFM, MB, etc. and imports about 5 at a time and flips them. I would love to find a good source myself, but only for my own personal restoration and collection.

Same here - I have been restoring my games slooooooooowly. I have been focusing on the playfield and mechanical parts and just learning. Currently I am on our TAF which had not been thoroughly worked on in years. It is really looking amazing. (I'm in florida right now and really dying to get back to working on that game!) I am hesitant to re-decal the cab because while there is some damage on the bottom part of the backbox, the decals themselves are intact, and no fading as far as I can tell. Would love to come by some time and check out your work!

#122 7 years ago

Sure, anytime. Where is your thread on TAF? Would love to see pics.

#123 7 years ago

Flipper fidelity, led OCD and GI OCD got here today

IMG_0005 (resized).JPGIMG_0005 (resized).JPG

#124 7 years ago

I'd be open to a thorough, nice restoration if I had a SPARE pin. I would be afraid to do it on the only one I had.... In case I screw something up...

#125 7 years ago

Sure, anytime. Where is your thread on TAF? Would love to see pics.

Will have to start one - I haven't been good about taking pics but it's definitely come a long way

2 weeks later
#126 7 years ago

Gonna b a beautiful pin......

#127 7 years ago

Slowly starting to put things back together. I sanded and spray painted the power boxes both gloss black, and had flashinstinct run me off a set of repro stickers. Some of these are also in the backbox, and lockdown bar. (accepted, inspected by, 220 volts, etc.)

I also had j_m_ run off repro serial labels for me as the old ones were pretty marred up and the back one was missing.

20160920_215900 (resized).jpg20160920_215900 (resized).jpg
20160920_215905 (resized).jpg20160920_215905 (resized).jpg

#128 7 years ago

Great job on the figures for a first time painter, impressive!

#129 7 years ago

New stickers stickers inside where you can't see?? Are you gonna put this thing in a repro cardboard box and sell NIB? Nice work so far!!

#130 7 years ago

Spy photo....

20161027_174117 (resized).jpg20161027_174117 (resized).jpg

#131 7 years ago

IT'S ALIVE!!!

#132 7 years ago

It isn't all sunshine and roses though. Had a pretty bad short due to an unsecured ground braid and fried a main trunk from the transformer to the power driver board.

I'll be making a new one once I get over my sorrows.

Praying there is no board damage.

IMG_0188 (resized).JPGIMG_0188 (resized).JPG

IMG_0187 (resized).JPGIMG_0187 (resized).JPG

#133 7 years ago

If you need beer, come over, I have beer...and pinball to play!

#134 7 years ago

Wow... That was some cookin!

Went back together fast! I gotta think this is many month project in my house . Heck, LEDs takes days

#135 7 years ago

It isn't all sunshine and roses though. Had a pretty bad short due to an unsecured ground braid and fried a main trunk from the transformer to the power driver board.
I'll be making a new one once I get over my sorrows.
Praying there is no board damage.

#136 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Wow... That was some cookin!
Went back together fast! I gotta think this is many month project in my house . Heck, LEDs takes days

Shorting several dmd HV lines to ground will do that

#137 7 years ago

Decided to replace the whole secondary harness H-20478, instead of patch-repairing this one. I was worried I would overlook something in my repair and make things worse. I considered this a $100 insurance policy. When it came the sticker on it said "Jim's Pinball Shop".

When I looked up this place, they have it listed online for $45 (But sold out..) Not sure the story there.

Anyway, with the new harness hooked up I confirmed that the GI section of the power driver is blown out. I emailed BigDaddy who I bought the rottendog through to see if I have any recourse even though this was my fault (not hooking the ground braid back up properly and letting it accidentally drape across the HV line in the display).

Otherwise I'm going to attempt a repair, I can see some obvious resistors that are burned up and don't have the correct resistance based on the band value. Not sure how far the damage has gone.

#138 7 years ago

Going back in time a little in the restore documentation.. I really like the way that the powdercoating turned out, thanks to mustangpaul for the color suggestion. He was spot on.

I wanted to see what it looked like to have the playfield ball guides coated. What do you guys think?

IMG_0035 (resized).JPGIMG_0035 (resized).JPG

Another shot of the powdercoated rails and legs.

IMG_0033 (resized).JPGIMG_0033 (resized).JPG

#139 7 years ago

I think the powder coated guides look really nice! I wonder how they'll hold up to balls smacking into their coated edges though.

#140 7 years ago
Quoted from mavantix:

I think the powder coated guides look really nice! I wonder how they'll hold up to balls smacking into their coated edges though.

I was thinking the same thing. let us know how they hold up.

#141 7 years ago

Decided to replace the whole secondary harness H-20478, instead of patch-repairing this one. I was worried I would overlook something in my repair and make things worse. I considered this a $100 insurance policy. When it came the sticker on it said "Jim's Pinball Shop".
When I looked up this place, they have it listed online for $45 (But sold out..) Not sure the story there.
Anyway, with the new harness hooked up I confirmed that the GI section of the power driver is blown out. I emailed BigDaddy who I bought the rottendog through to see if I have any recourse even though this was my fault (not hooking the ground braid back up properly and letting it accidentally drape across the HV line in the display).
Otherwise I'm going to attempt a repair, I can see some obvious resistors that are burned up and don't have the correct resistance based on the band value. Not sure how far the damage has gone.

That was fast.. Todd put me in touch w/ Jim from Rottendog who has agreed to repair the boards even though I'm the one who screwed them up. I'm elated!

#142 7 years ago

That was fast.. Todd put me in touch w/ Jim from Rottendog who has agreed to repair the boards even though I'm the one who screwed them up. I'm elated!

Nice....

#143 7 years ago

I found and ordered a original wpc95 db today and have a new rottendog in my mb currently. I was gonna keep it for backup but i wld be willing to sell it to you for cheaper than a new one and you cld come up to get it since im not to far away or i cld ship it. If interested pm me .....

#144 7 years ago

Going back in time a little in the restore documentation.. I really like the way that the powdercoating turned out, thanks to mustangpaul for the color suggestion. He was spot on.
I wanted to see what it looked like to have the playfield ball guides coated. What do you guys think?

Another shot of the powdercoated rails and legs.

I thought you would like that color, it looks great. But I have have another suggestion, those black leg bolts make the coating look odd, replace them with show quality chrome ones, Pinsider sc93cobra has them for $3 each. Just make sure they are the long 2 3/4 inch ones.....cuz then my green Leg Light-Ups and Free super tough clear bolt washers will fit.

#145 7 years ago

the parts wait... it kills...

Of course in working on my LOTR... I ordered parts at like 1am.. which meant I missed the entire flasher part of my order. Doh!

2 months later
#146 7 years ago

IMG_0161 (resized).JPGIMG_0161 (resized).JPG
IMG_0151 (resized).JPGIMG_0151 (resized).JPG
IMG_0162 (resized).JPGIMG_0162 (resized).JPG

#147 7 years ago

well that escalated quickly.. hehe

Get that driver board fixed up?

I had to work on washing machine instead of pins

#148 7 years ago

Jim called me today and said the rottendog is on it's way back, so I figured it was time to post a few of the remaining restoration pics.

#149 7 years ago

Whats up with the translight trim? Looks different?

#150 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Whats up with the translight trim? Looks different?

I dunno, what should it look like?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 75.00
$ 72.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.95
£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/monster-bash-full-restoration/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.