FrankTableTabNotInNotch.png
20150815_084218-2.jpg
20150815_084210-1.jpg
frank.png
image_1.jpeg

#1 5 years ago

Hi All,
I'm a noob.
I'm having an issue with Frank on my MB.
I identified and reviewed 2 older related threads:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mb-frankenstein-hit-switch-adjustment#post-1380738

and

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/monster-bash-frankenstein-help

I am a new owner of this machine and it arrived this way when it was recently shipped to my home.

Issue 1: Frank doesn't register hits easily or often due to leaning very far forward and thus not hitting the switch behind him unless he is struck extremely solidly (ie: register 1 out of every 5 hits, approx).

Issue 2: Frank seems to "slip" a bit at times when moving from horiz (down) to vert (upright) position. I just ran the test of switches 83 and 84 and the first time Frank tried to go upright, I had to "nudge" the mechanism after it got stuck most of the way up, but didn't quite completely get there...after the nudge it worked fine (up and down) for the rest of the testing I did. So something may be loose or ?

I intend to try several of the recommendations in that first thread, above, but wondering if folks might have any other guidance for a noob like myself prior to my launching in, since I honestly can't say I follow all the advice or diagrams.

One thing I'm wondering is if there are any diagnostics or checking/tightening I can do with the pf in the down position (either as it would be for playing or just pulled up on the metal rails). I'd like to attack this in steps, so I figure I'll start by exploring and working on anything that may be possible from this pf position initially if possible and then working underneath next. Or if I need to work underneath initially, that's fine too, but just wondering.

Also, any thoughts on exactly what dictates Frank's lean/positioning in Noob terms welcome

I attached a pic as well.

Thanks!
Dan

image_1.jpeg

#2 5 years ago

Why haven't I seen this picture before?

#3 5 years ago

That's not quite correct. The part you've circled in red is attached to his arms, and I believe it is a counterweight for the monster's arms. It balances the arms so that they swing up and down when hit, and lower when he is laying down. The manual calls it the "actuator arm"

Here is a screenshot of page 2-27 from the manual. I've circled two parts in red. One is the arm that limits how far the monster can lean forward, and the other is the slot that this arm fits in. I had luck preventing the monster from leaning too far forward by bending that arm to an angle less than 90 degrees.

frank.png

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from mot:

That's not quite correct.

...and that's why it's a good idea to ask Pinside, Dan.

Someone will have experience with the same problem you're having.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from herg:

...and that's why it's a good idea to ask Pinside, Dan.
Someone will have experience with the same problem you're having.

Agreed!

Thanks herg and mot.

mot, I'll look at bending that piece a bit, thanks for the advice. Based on your experience, any idea what might be causing Issue 2 (Frank not getting from the laying down position to the fully upright position, but sometimes needing a "nudge" to get fully upright).

#6 5 years ago

Mine does not register without a good hit. But I consider that normal considering the original design had a ramp that popped up so the ball would hit the chest.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Mine does not register without a good hit. But I consider that normal considering the original design had a ramp that popped up so the ball would hit the chest.

Taxman,
Good point.
That said, it does appear that the picture on ipdb:
http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=4441&picno=21506

shows a Frank that's much more upright (and closer to the switch behind him) than in my pic (see above).

If others want to share a side view of their Frank that they think is "correct" in the upright position, I'd be interested.

#8 5 years ago

Here are some shots of my Frankie, I think a lot has to do with the angle you are looking at. I know hits register 95% of the time on him it will take a nice hit to make him reach contact so don't expect any dribble shots to register, he'll just blow those off.

Pull the e-clip off (#9) of the bottom shaft (#6) and check the angle of Frankie's support (#101). If it looks greater then 100 or so, try every so gently to move it back to an angle just about 100. I say 100 because I just checked and it's not a perfect 90 just slightly greater then that. Maybe even 95 but it shouldn't be real wide open past that you'll have to judge when you see it.

20150815_084210-1.jpg20150815_084218-2.jpg

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Here are some shots of my Frankie

Thanks, great pics.

Also, anyone have any ideas or experience on what might be causing the table to not get all the way from the down to upright position (without a physical nudge) when doing the table test?

#10 5 years ago

Have you checked the gear cluster under the playfield?

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

Have you checked the gear cluster under the playfield?

Not yet. I plan to get under there soon. If you have any specific guidance on what exactly you'd check and how you'd go about it, that'd be welcome. I've been waiting to gather some information prior to beginning to explore/diagnose, hoping I can be a bit more educated in my diagnosis. Otherwise, I'll reference the earlier posts I mentioned and just start tinkering. Thanks in advance for anyone who has some specific guidance on what to check (ie: Any specifics around checking the gear cluster?). Thanks.

1 week later
#12 5 years ago

Checked the gears under the playfield. One of the gears (http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-9219-2) has several cogs stripped. This is causing Frank to pause while moving from the down to the up position, but is not related at all to his leaning forward.

We ordered a new gear and were able to take apart the gear box and change the existing gear into a position that actually works fine for now.
As I said, has nothing to do with adjusting Frank's lean forward.

We bent both of the parts that mot pointed out in the diagram, but after bending both it made no difference in his lean (well, maybe it made the slightest of differences, but nothing really noticeable).

Another thing we noticed is there is a bit of play in the flat shaft that runs from the frank table down below the playfield and attaches to the gears that move him. When he's in the upright position, you can wiggle that shaft a bit, is that the way it should be? Wondering if this could be the cause of the position issue or ?

Any other ideas on how to adjust frank's position less forward? Someone out there must know and I'd welcome your ideas or suggestions.

Thanks,
Dan

#13 5 years ago

In the frank test, do both up & down switches register and make the table stop?

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

Yes. Both switches register and the table stops in both positions.

#15 5 years ago

Make sure the tab in the upper red circle passes through the hole in the piece in the lower red circle so that the tab is going thought the little notch in the lower red circle. This is what limits the forward lean of Frank. Also make sure the pin through the feet is properly installed (pieces 6 and 9 in the above illustration).

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinmeister:

Make sure the tab in the upper red circle passes through the hole in the piece in the lower red circle so that the tab is going thought the little notch in the lower red circle. This is what limits the forward lean of Frank.

Hmm...I believe currently the horiz tab in the upper red circle is hooking around the little vert tab sticking up in the lower red circle. So it is not going through that little notch, but in fact is sitting a bit to the left (in order to hook that vert tab). In order to get the piece in the upper red circle to slide through that notch, I'll have to see about bending something (I think) bc it's not aligned with that notch at all right now. Is that for sure the correct way things should be seated??
If so, mine is shifted substantially to the left. I'll take a picture for you.

Also, I will look at the pin you mention in a bit.

#17 5 years ago

Here's the picture of the bottom of Frank's table behind his left leg. Would be very interested to hear from others if yours is attached differently.
Thanks!

FrankTableTabNotInNotch.png

#18 5 years ago

Needs to go into that slot for sure, that's one reason why he is leaning a bit too forward for you.

#19 5 years ago

okay, thanks for the advice. I'm a noob at this stuff and need to have a closer look and figure how to get that piece of metal into that slot.
guess I'll need to bend it, but don't want to crack any of the plastic nearby or attached, as it's a fair bit of distance that it needs to move to the right.

#20 5 years ago

Dan and I have been PM'ing about this, but for the sake of getting more information out there about this, here are pics of mine. The first one is from the Left side and the other one is from behind Frank.

IMG_0818.jpg

IMG_0820.jpg

2 months later
#21 5 years ago

Hi there!

I'm a noob as well who bought a MB recently, and perhaps my issue is something similar described above, but honestly I'm not entirely sure.

After two months of play my Frank mech crank started to get stuck after the Frank multiball.
The exact symptom is the following (these are the repro steps as well):
- The up/down bank goes down
- Frank comes down
- Frank goes back to horizontal position
- The up/down bank doesn't come up and I can hear the motor making a noise while exerting

And it's basically because the crank gets stuck at the top of the micro switch (See Picture 1) and I have to push it a little so it just goes to the position where it supposed to be (Picture 2) and then everything works again. It only does this when the playfield is in playing position, so I can't really check what's really going on when I raise the playfield, but my guess is that perhaps Frank is too loose or something.

Any hints what should I check, what might cause the problem, etc?

Thank you in advance!

P.s. Let me know if you need more pics about the mech.

WP_20151111_010.jpg

WP_20151111_036.jpg

5 years later
#22 6 months ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

I just bought a nib monster bash and am having the same issue with frankie leaning to far forward. frankie actually doesn't lean back far enough quick enough when his table rises and he gets his head caught on the glass. this caused an error 84 frankie switch error. when i run the frankie test now im getting that error 84 frankie switch. anu help would be greatly appreciated

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside