Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by ChrisHibler
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

MB LR-flip.jpg

#1 2 years ago

I recently purchased a Monster Bash and after playing it for a short time the right flipper coil burnt up. I replaced the coil and noticed that the F115 fuse was blown so replaced it also. Now when I turn it on the holding coil on the right flipper immediately comes on. I'm at a loss as to where to start. I have very little electronics experience. Please help. Thanks

#2 2 years ago

Ah, you have a shorted drive transistor. If you're new to this, reach out to one of the great board repair guys on here borygard chrishibler johnwartjr for help. Should be a simple repair but not one I recommend doing yourself.

Marc

#3 2 years ago

It's also important to find out why the transistor fried before turning the machine on after the board has been repaired or you will probably end up in the same situation. Sounds like a short to ground somewhere.

#4 2 years ago

He had a burnt coil; why is certainly a question.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

He had a burnt coil; why is certainly a question.

Sorry, you are correct. I meant to find out why the coil burnt ..

#6 2 years ago

Verify flipper EOS switch works during switch test by manually raising flipper. Could be why your coil burned and fuse blew.
Also verify wire configuration to proper lugs, you can always try to post a photo of your wiring or check the schematics in the manual.

#7 2 years ago

One thing I forgot to mention. The person that I bought the game from said after he played the game for a while, the right flipper seemed to lose power and be somewhat sluggish. After I removed the coil I discovered that it had been installed in the reversed position (the terminals were at the flipper stop plate) when I realized this I had already disconnected the wires so was unable to check if maybe the wires had been incorrectly connected. Would a reversed coil make a difference? I did install the new coil with the terminals next to the coil bracket.

#8 2 years ago

Reversed position of the coil makes no difference but the correct way to install is with the lugs away from the coil stop. Now had the wires been reversed, the fuse would blow when you would flip a few times. Meaning the hold and power wiring is reversed. Holding using the power coil will blow the fuse.

Compare the left flipper coil to the right. The lugs have either a thick or thin copper wire going into the coil. The (common) lug has two wires. The thick wire is the power winding and the yellow wire goes to that lug. The hold winding is the thin wire and the orange wire goes to that lug. The red wire goes to the common lug with 2 wires.

Once the wiring is straightened out, check the mechanical aspect of the flipper. Make sure the sleeve is clean, plunger free of gunk and no burrs at the end. Check the coil stop isn't mushroomed and there is some up/down play in the flipper bat. Also make sure all the screws holding the bushing are present and tightened. There may be other things to check, but start with this and go from there.

#9 2 years ago

MB LR-flip.jpg

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from pincredible:

Verify flipper EOS switch works during switch test by manually raising flipper. Could be why your coil burned and fuse blew.

Fortunately, EOS circuit design as found in System 11 games was abandoned by the time MB was made. EOS switches can't cause a coil to burn or transistor to blow in WPC/WPC95 games.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact/
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 154.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
Boards
PCB Emporium

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside