Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F7720A1F-8BCD-4954-97EE-0DEF62AAD37D (resized).jpeg
MB High Score 17 (resized).jpg
IMG_4108 (resized).JPG
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160814_79a30a7b3b607424b4d4bfd10598041c_(resized).jpg
1022112008a_(2).jpg
There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 12 years ago

I thought I would share this Photo.My camera sucks low resolution. The trick to this conversion is to add (1) Green super\flex add position it so the LED shine on the Haunted castle main window at top right of translight.Behind the Monsters of Rock are giant speakers add(1) super blue right above The Bribe.Just above the speaker all the way across the translight the art work is pink.I Hi-Lited the 6 sockets with super pink. Add (1) yellow behind Franky's Body.to keep it brown.I used all pinball life 3 LED cool white for all other sockets.It does put glare on playfield glass.I ordered 21 cointaker mini cool white that I feel will cut down on the glare .But all the color modifications I mentioned I will keep.

1022112008a_(2).jpg1022112008a_(2).jpg

#2 12 years ago

Looks very nice.

#3 12 years ago

In my best Borat voice..........."Very nice".

#4 12 years ago

These are the little touches to games that I love to see. Just like coasterguys TAF BG, might have to incorporate this into my game.

#5 12 years ago

looks good. Love MB!

#6 12 years ago

damn looks great

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpuckguy:

In my best Borat voice..........."Very nice".

Very nice indeed!! Looks great.

#8 12 years ago

It appears that LED usage, is becoming a form of artistry, thats looks so much better than my stock MB back glass, it is incredible.

Actually, it is that clear, that i just noticed that the art on the drums, looks like Australia.....and i have had a MB for nearly 3 years!!!

#9 12 years ago

Just don't use all cointaker or Pinball life superbright LED's it causes to much glare.I put in 21 cointaker mini coolwhite and it helped quite a bit on the glare issue.

#10 12 years ago

The green light emanating from the windows looks fantastic!

Quoted from RobKnapp:

I put in 21 cointaker mini coolwhite and it helped quite a bit on the glare issue.

Like you, I have found the minis to be great for backbox use.

#11 12 years ago

Beautiful!

#12 12 years ago

i like cool white frosted's

#13 12 years ago

Awesome job!

Looking forward to seeing what you do on your Creech & TOM backboxes!

(Nice job on the TOTAN & STTNG backboxes BTW!)

#14 12 years ago

The issue that concerns me is that the leds in the backbox don't seem to disperse the light evenly. Maybe it is just the photos. I haven't seen Leds in person. I might be interested in using them in my TZ in place of the flashing 545's that are supposed to highlight specific areas but have not heard of anyone doing this.

#15 12 years ago

TZ looks great with LED's and if you get Cointaker's door mod for the BG it just totally sets it off. I have their color changing mod for my Monster Bash backglass and it looks great IMHO.

#16 12 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

The issue that concerns me is that the leds in the backbox don't seem to disperse the light evenly.

Leds seem to give the translite a washed out look, makes them look like a bad reproduction.

Leds are not for me .

Jim

#17 12 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Leds seem to give the translite a washed out look, makes them look like a bad reproduction.

I find this to be true if you use the superbright whites that seem to come with the kits. That's why I think if you going to try LED's you should customize your look with frosted lights. I never seen the retro LED's in person, but it could be the best of both worlds.

#18 12 years ago

I see a trend of people abusing LEDs in machines, while I think leds in the controlled lamps look ok,I really do not like LEDs for GI lighting at all.

Jim

#19 12 years ago
Quoted from Leigh:

It appears that LED usage, is becoming a form of artistry, thats looks so much better than my stock MB back glass, it is incredible.

Great seeing all the variations.

Quoted from NM:

Looking forward to seeing what you do on your Creech & TOM backboxes!

Would like to see TOM as well

#20 12 years ago

Looks Amazing! really made it come alvie!

#21 12 years ago

Good job!!

#22 12 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

TZ looks great with LED's and if you get Cointaker's door mod for the BG it just totally sets it off.

+1

I'm generally not a huge fan of mods, but the color changing door mod looks fantastic! I've gotten so used to my TZ, that whenever I come across a normal one, it just looks kind of dull and lifeless.

#23 12 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

I see a trend of people abusing LEDs in machines, while I think leds in the controlled lamps look ok,I really do not like LEDs for GI lighting at all.

+1

#24 12 years ago

Honda350r,The back box conversions are not all easy.Monster Bash was easy. STTNG was hard because you have to be careful of over doing it in the brightness department.It will cause glare on playfield glass.Scared Stiff was hard to get it perfect.I will post some photos It is way better than all incandescent bulbs. You do not have to use all LED either. On my TOTAN I used both incandescent bulb's and LED's .Trust me once you start to experiment with LEDS it can be like creating art.You can express your self and try to enhance the original artist work.As far as washing the Back-Box out, well if you do it half way creatively you can HI-LITE areas that I am sure the Original artist would approve of. As far as G.I. If the playfield REd and or Orange color playfields incandescent bulbs do work best .They bring out the red and orange color better I suppose. On my SM I used LED's on the inserts and left the 44 Incandescent bulb in. But all of my other PInball 12 total LEDs can be very cool.You my not get it Rite the fist time either .I had to redo Scared Stiff Twice before I got it rite.CFTBL G.I. I did twice.It is addicting brother!! You should Go for it. Peace Rob

#25 12 years ago

I like LEDs in the back box. Personal choice really. GI lighting I use incandecents, but I love LEDs in the inserts. MB inserts are barely seen with incandencents. I just think LEDs make games look better. You do have to play around with them to get the look you want.

I like your back box Robknapp, I think it is an improvement.

#26 12 years ago

I'm having a great time playing with different combinations in my DE SW. I am installing the CoinTaker kit and have noticed that the remaining GI bulbs still to be changed out seem to throw a sickly yellow light compared to the LEDs. I'm about 85% done and will not leave any original bulbs in there. Also, I am going to order a handful of additional LEDs due to creative ideas that have occurred to me during the process. I find that getting the right combinations is a big part of the fun of personalizing the machine.

#27 12 years ago

Rob, I think it is really cool that you mod your games with LEDs and having fun with it !

Jim

#28 12 years ago

What is the best company to get frosted Cool white or Warm white from .555 & 44 to use in back box.

#30 12 years ago

If you're looking for exceptional brightness, then BC's pinball have excellent bulbs, though pricey. Pinball Life has the best prices but do not offer warm white IIRC, and their bulbs are not as bright. The frosted cointaker bulbs are very directional which may often not be ideal for backbox application.

#31 12 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

The frosted cointaker bulbs are very directional which may often not be ideal for backbox application.

I bought a bunch just before the summer, and cointaker's warm white frosted (non-polarized) are my favorite LED after trying a bunch of samples. I don't think they're that directional, I really like them for GI. I've been thinking of trying them in the back box.

#32 12 years ago

RobKnapp, is there a trick to pulling the sockets out from the WPC-95 style back glass enclosures? I tried on my AFM and they are really tight even with squeezing the side tabs. I must be missing something... the wiring is so tight between the sockets that I'm hoping to hear the secret before I mess something up.

#33 12 years ago

Looks great! I'm getting a MB next week and I'm going to use this as a guide when I do the LED conversion.

#34 12 years ago
Quoted from pinbob:

is there a trick to pulling the sockets out from the WPC-95 style back glass enclosures? I tried on my AFM and they are really tight even with squeezing the side tabs. I must be missing something... the wiring is so tight between the sockets that I'm hoping to hear the secret before I mess something up.

I've found just removing the backglass from the light tub is a whole lot easier (and no risk of cracking something).

Just slide off the 4 side trim pieces and you're good to go.

#35 12 years ago

NM - I thought about removing the trim and front glass but figured there must be an easier way to quickly play around with LEDs. Thanks for the confirmation!

#36 12 years ago

Marco ,owner of The Pinballcenter ( Germany )wanted to see my configuration . Marco read my description. Use your T10 Noflix PLUS-Superflux green for the LED in the castle window. Let me know when you get the TEAL T10 Noflix Plus -Superflux back in stock I need teal for the( snack bar) inserts on CFTBL and the (shield )inserts for my STTNG . [email protected]

#37 12 years ago

There is a new problem with cointakers new frosted LEDs they are brighter than the old style however all are the color white.If you order a blue frosted you get a white LED that turns blue when lit.No good. I like a frosted LED to look frosted not white.

#38 12 years ago
Quoted from pinbob:

NM - I thought about removing the trim and front glass but figured there must be an easier way to quickly play around with LEDs. Thanks for the confirmation!

The risk of trying to remove them the obvious way (CAREFULLY squeezing/wiggling the socket out of the light tub) is those sockets could be brittle from years of heat.

Also use caution when removing the bulbs from the sockets--too much twisting of the lamp in relation to the socket will crumble the plastic too.

And of course the light tubs themselves are beyond rare never having been reproduced, so tread carefully all the way around.

3 weeks later
#39 12 years ago

Just wanted to say that I followed Rob's guide for the MB back-box on my own MB last night and it came out GREAT. It is much more 3 dimensional and has more color now. The regular bulbs made it look nearly monochromatic and boring by comparison.

Instead of the 3 LEDs from Pinball Life, I used the Super Mini's as Rob suggested as the 3 LEDs were too bright. The Super Mini's seem to be *perfect*. I'm very happy with the results!

1 year later
#40 11 years ago

Quoted from RobT:Instead of the 3 LEDs from Pinball Life, I used the Super Mini's as Rob suggested as the 3 LEDs were too bright. The Super Mini's seem to be *perfect*. I'm very happy with the results!

Great,glad I could could help!!!

#41 11 years ago

I used this as the blueprint for my MB as well, and it looks fantastic.

7 months later
#42 10 years ago
Quoted from 30FathomDave:

I used this as the blueprint for my MB as well, and it looks fantastic

Good Show !! Glad I could help.

3 years later
#43 7 years ago

Holy Thread Resurrection Batman!

I followed this guide but used purple instead of pink, the camera doesn't do a good job of taking the picture as its in a badly lit area but I'm pleased with the results - with ColorDMD it rocks.

What are folks using for flasher replacements?

Cheers,
Neil.

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160814_79a30a7b3b607424b4d4bfd10598041c_(resized).jpguploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160814_79a30a7b3b607424b4d4bfd10598041c_(resized).jpg

5 months later
#44 7 years ago

It isn't always bad to dig a thread up..."What's a torso?"

MB just moved in last week.

I used Comet purple passion up high, red behind the flames, and blue down low (looked a bit washed out with 2 SMD sunlight) and behind the moon.

I haven't hit the PF yet, and I'm trying to fight off the urge to order the color DMD.

IMG_4108 (resized).JPGIMG_4108 (resized).JPG

2 months later
#45 7 years ago

colordmd is one of the best on this machine!

9 months later
#46 6 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

colordmd is one of the best on this machine!

I don't know if I should purchase a LED or and LCD ColorDMD ? Thoughts ?

MB High Score 17 (resized).jpgMB High Score 17 (resized).jpg

#47 6 years ago

Can't lose with either but I would recommend the LCD because of the smoothing effect.

#48 6 years ago

I like “scan” best on MB. But really either look amazing, for different reasons. I’d go with LCD though personally

#49 6 years ago

I've got LCD on mine but they didn't sell LED then. Now I'd go for LED.

#50 6 years ago

LED ColorDMD is amazing and fits better than the LCD version.

F7720A1F-8BCD-4954-97EE-0DEF62AAD37D (resized).jpegF7720A1F-8BCD-4954-97EE-0DEF62AAD37D (resized).jpeg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 72.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 24.99
Playfield - Plastics
Pinhead mods

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 75.00
£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/monster-bash-back-box-led-conversion?hl=turtle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.