Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by pindude80
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I ordered a 12" Monprice sub for one of my games a while ago, hooked it up and there was barely any bass output even if with the controls on the sub at max. I thought the amp was defective in it so I contacted Monoprice, they had me send them the old one and they sent me a new one. I hooked it up and same thing. I cranked the volume up on the game and I was able to finally get some decent bass out of it but the backbox speakers were way too loud at this point.

So, it seems to me that whatever is in the amp that picks up the bass signal isn't sensitive enough. Is there anything that I can add to increase the sensitivity output to the sub so I can get better output from the sub?

#2 5 years ago

What game, is there a crossover, how did you wire it, what impedance is the speaker ... is there bass In the music ?

#3 5 years ago

Looking at the specs on that thing, I would send it back in general. 50-150hz for the frequency range is garbage for a 12 inch ported sub. Much better options out there for the same or less money.

#4 5 years ago

This should give you an idea of how to fix it. I would not recommend this sub.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/12-150w-monoprice-sub-79-free-shipping

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:What game, is there a crossover, how did you wire it, what impedance is the speaker ... is there bass In the music ?

I tried it on Rob Zombie- which I hooked up with wires alligator clipped to the cabinet speaker then bought an adapter that goes from a mini headphone jack to RCAs and got the same result, little to no bass. I also tried it on Dialed In and Iron Maiden, all having the same result.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from Xenon75:

Looking at the specs on that thing, I would send it back in general. 50-150hz for the frequency range is garbage for a 12 inch ported sub. Much better options out there for the same or less money.

Yeah this thing really sucks! Vid posted it up a while ago in the link Monk posted and it sounded great so I bought one but this sub is junk and hugely disappointing. I hooked up one of my Polk PSW 10" subs right after and it rocked the house, like they are known to do!

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from Monk:

This should give you an idea of how to fix it. I would not recommend this sub.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/12-150w-monoprice-sub-79-free-shipping

Thanks for the link, Monk. I read through the thread and it looks like you went through quite a bit to get it figured out. So is this ultimately what you did to get it to work: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/12-150w-monoprice-sub-79-free-shipping/page/2#post-4767871

#8 5 years ago

Yes that’s what I did. Strip one RCA connector. You will find an outer copper wire and another shielded copper wire. The outer copper wire connects to one of the speaker wires and the inner shielded wire connects to the other speaker wire. I won’t be able to take a picture of mine until next week. Let me know if a picture will help and I’ll get it to you middle of next week.

#9 5 years ago

I purchased that Subwoofer about 3 or 4 years ago and it was terrible. I didn't ever try to fix it. Out of the box experience was substantially inferior to the $80 ones occasionally on sale (Polk).

Eventually just gave it away.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from Monk:

Yes that’s what I did. Strip one RCA connector. You will find an outer copper wire and another shielded copper wire. The outer copper wire connects to one of the speaker wires and the inner shielded wire connects to the other speaker wire. I won’t be able to take a picture of mine until next week. Let me know if a picture will help and I’ll get it to you middle of next week.

I think I should be good without a picture but if I end up needing one I will let you know. I'll let you know how it turns out.

#11 5 years ago

There must be variation in quality and components of these things. The high-level inputs on mine work just fine, and it gives a nice clean loud tone even at half amplification.

10 months later
    #12 4 years ago

I finally got around to hooking up the sub as the link in post # 4 that Monk provided. Finally, I have good bass out of this sub!!! To anyone doing this I would recommend soldering the stripped wires to your speaker lugs because it is so small that alligator clips aren't going to do a good job holding the wire to the speaker lugs.

I was intending to use the sub only on my Dialed In only but Fish Tales was sitting right next to DI so I hooked it up also and it works. It's kind of funny to hear bass with Fish Tales

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.