Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by miker_70
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I just finished replacing the playfield (and a bunch of other stuff) on my Monopoly. I was having issues with the pop bumpers not being sensitive enough, so I attempted to adjust them....and...guh...zapped something. Yes, not smart..I know.

At any rate, the lower 3 pops are not working at all. I can fire the solenoid through the service menu, but none of the switches work (testing underneath with my finger).

Does anyone have any ideas how to troubleshoot this problem? I looked through the manual for fuses, but I don't see anything about a fuse that would control just these switches.

If anyone has any suggestions, let me know.

Thanks,

Mike

#3 8 years ago

Thanks for the help. If it's a fuse (and I really hope it is), wouldn't all coils stop working? ..and the coils are firing when I test through the service menu..

#4 8 years ago

Do the following switches work?
44 100K standup
45 Spinner
46 COP Standup
47 Free parking
48 Right ramp

Do you have a logic probe?

#5 8 years ago

I don't have a logic probe

All the switches you have listed do not work

#6 8 years ago

I had a similar issue to this but it was with a flasher. The manual should show the fuse that controls the pops and whatever else. See if the (whatever else) other stuff works and if so, start with the last thing on the trunk and work backwards from that (towards the connection to the board) until you find the first thing that still works. The problem will be between that and the first thing that's out (moving away from the board).

Must give credit to TaylorVA (Reese Rails) for teaching me this..

-Jeff

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from miker_70:

I don't have a logic probe
All the switches you have listed do not work

Sounds like a fuse to me

#8 8 years ago

Thanks everyone. How do I identify what fuse to replace? Check continuity on all of them? Pin_Guy, the numbers you have corresponding to each switch - what do they represent? 44, 45, 46...

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from miker_70:

How do I identify what fuse to replace

Its not a fuse because they work in test. Its a switch problem, you shorted out the switch matrix.

Quoted from Pin_Guy:Do the following switches work?
44 100K standup
45 Spinner
46 COP Standup
47 Free parking
48 Right ramp

And the pop switches do not work.

#10 8 years ago

Thanks, that's helpful. The obvious next question is how do I fix it?

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from miker_70:

Thanks everyone. How do I identify what fuse to replace? Check continuity on all of them? Pin_Guy, the numbers you have corresponding to each switch - what do they represent? 44, 45, 46...

This is the rest of the switches in switch column 6 along with the 3 lower pop bumper switches. If you had a logic probe you can tell if the column is being strobed or not. If its not being strobed you probably took out the drive transistor Q6 (2N3904). If you have any working switches its not going to be a fuse, besides this is a 5V matrix and if you blew the 5 volt fuse you would know it. Since you said you zapped something I'm assuming you saw sparks or know you shorted something to something you shouldn't have.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from miker_70:

Thanks, that's helpful. The obvious next question is how do I fix it?

Replace Q6 on the CPU Sound board.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/2N3904

#13 8 years ago

Thanks very much. Yeah, I saw sparks...of shame! ..no, I really did see sparks.

Should I find a logic probe first? or does it matter at this point?

Thank you again.

Mike

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from miker_70:

Should I find a logic probe first? or does it matter at this point?

A logic probe would tell you for sure, I can only assume that the driver is blown; you probably can't tell if Q6 is bad by looking at it but it could be shorted from collector to emitter which is something you may be able to measure with your ohm meter. You can compare the resistance of Q6 with that of Q1-Q8 since they should all be similar.

Side note:
These checks are done with the game powered off...

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from miker_70:

I really did see sparks.

Then take a pic of Q6 it may show signs of a voltage spike.

#16 8 years ago

Yes, I examined the transistor last night after Pin_guy's very helpful post. There's obvious damage..

https://goo.gl/photos/4FmmNcWNiwo76uB66

Thanks for the help

#17 8 years ago

Looks like the magic smoke leaked out. Have you read Terry B soldering guide? Hopefully Q6 stopped any further damage. Replace Q6 and retest it.

#18 8 years ago

I'm fairly confident it stopped here. Everything else is working fine

Not an issue replacing the transistor / soldering...I've done my fair share

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
PinSound

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Vienna, VA
$ 12.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, NY
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/monopoly-pop-bumper-stupid-mistake and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.