Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by phishrace
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I have a weird issue with the two opto boards at the end of the ball trough. The switch matrix for these always reads active/unobstructed regardless of whether something is blocking the opto path or not. The optos are'nt intermittent, they both just constantly read active. On both boards, the lower optos are lit up (you can see their red light), but the upper optos are not. The board with the two-pin connector has a very bright shine from the opto while the 3-pin connector board has a weak shine.

I checked the voltage to the pin connectors on both boards and they all read good. I re-flowed solder to every joint on both boards (pins, bulbs, transistors, chips) and still no luck. I even switched the bulbs on the 3-pin board and still the same results.

If, after much troubleshooting, I still can't figure out the problem, the board set is only ~$30 so I won't be out too much. However, before making a purchase I want to make sure the issue is in fact in these boards and not coming from somewhere else.

Any ideas on this?

#2 9 years ago

You should be able to unplug the receiver side board and have the switches report open.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from LilRocky:

If, after much troubleshooting, I still can't figure out the problem, the board set is only ~$30 so I won't be out too much. However, before making a purchase I want to make sure the issue is in fact in these boards and not coming from somewhere else.
Any ideas on this?

You can confirm it's the boards by removing them and installing the opto boards from your LOTR. Everything works in switch test with your LOTR boards? You have a bad board (or two). Problem still occurs? You have a wiring or CPU issue. Likely a board or the wiring.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

You can confirm it's the boards by removing them and installing the opto boards from your LOTR. Everything works in switch test with your LOTR boards? You have a bad board (or two). Problem still occurs? You have a wiring or CPU issue. Likely a board or the wiring.

GOOD CALL!

I ended up switching the boards and the LOTR opto boards give me the same results in Monopoly...so looks like I'm most likely dealing with something in the main boards.

#5 9 years ago

Nice work. You're narrowing it down. When I said it's likely a board or wiring issue above, I meant an opto board, not the CPU board. Now that you've narrowed it down further, I would suspect a wiring issue. Both opto board connectors usually get a Z connector (which is actually 2 connectors) to connect it to the main wiring harness. Good chance your issue is related to those connectors or the connectors that connect to the opto boards. Inspect each of the IDC connectors closely for pulled or loose wires. Also check continuity between the CPU connector and the opto board connectors. Have a friend help if you can't reach both connectors.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fishers, IN
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Machine - For Sale
Vienna, VA
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, NY
$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/monopoly-opto-trough-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.