(Topic ID: 1652)

Monopoly - not so bad

By jonnyo

13 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 13 years ago

They have a Monopoly at a place I play league at. I was quite ready to file this game with RCT (sorry to those who like it) but after some experimenting I got the feel of the game and learned some of the strategy. Now I sort of like it more.

I like the railroad ramp, which sometimes leaves the ball under control on the left flip, but sometimes doesn't. And in some cases, it comes down to how you control the ball. So at least 75% of the time you can put it under control if your reactions are fast enough.

So it adds some nice risk/reward. Take railroad and advance 8 spaces or shoot the ramps and get there slow? Or a combination of the two for big points on the Green properties and EB/Special on the Blue.

I also like the Addams Family jackpot shot, but so far, it seems tougher.

I got cash grab for the first time and learned the hard way that it's actually pretty deep, not just a "keep shooting the balls" wizard mode. To really max it you have to make some shots.

#2 13 years ago

I hate Rollercoaster Tycoon, as much as I hate Stern's Playboy & Sopranos. I agree that Monopoly isn't that bad.

Personally, I would not own one in my collection. I realize I am not the intended audience for Monopoly (I like games where stuff is blowing up), but I wouldn't mind operating one of these.

Novice players, children, and women love dumping tokens/quarters into the freakin thing! I guess in a way, its kind of like Addams Family. Lots of times, its getting play while LOTR or Spider-Man (possibly a late model WPC-95 Bally/Williams) sit idle. If there is a Pirates of the Caribbean, its a toss up, because people love that game too.

#3 13 years ago

I personally like Monopoly. I would own one but only if I got a good deal on a nice used one.

#4 13 years ago

I lean more to the Roller Coaster Tycoon than the Monopoly, but I haven't spend enough time on either one of them.

#5 13 years ago

I guess to each his own, as I really like the Sopranos.

#6 13 years ago

drbond, how can you hate on Playboy? It's wall to wall naked chicks. And you only need to learn one shot (center ramp) to play it!

#7 13 years ago

I know of someone with an old Monopolee machine from the 30's .. he's like 88 and won't sell/part with it atm but his kids say they don't want it. So maybe if he finally passes some day I'll get it. If I do I think I will donate it to a museum and let them do any restoration etc. It's pretty rough.

#8 13 years ago

Stern's Playboy is fun for a few hours. It awful from the get-go, if the machine is setup with the clothed pictures.

1 week later
#9 13 years ago

what would be a "good" price on a monopoly? just curious

#10 13 years ago

I would say $1500 or less for one in good shape.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, NY
$ 12.95
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fishers, IN
Machine - For Sale
Vienna, VA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/monopoly-not-so-bad and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.