4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by skondris
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Trying to help a friend troubleshoot his pin. Previous owner had crazy stuff going on in the back box to replace the CFL, apparently there was a live wire exposed somewhere inside when it got turned on. the story is that it was on for a few seconds then went dead and stunk bad. the main fuse got blown.

so, I'm trying to diagnose, I pulled everything from the power board but left the power from the transformer connected, and the run to the sound board, tried again, Main fuse still blew.

never had to deal with this, what should I check next?

#2 4 years ago

I'd try and find out what stunk bad. Sniff around if you can. That might lead you to what is now bad.

LTG : )

#3 4 years ago

checking transistors, seems like both of the slingshots are shot. but not sure what's blowing it as it powers on. not seeing anything obvious under the playfield that is the source of it.

#4 4 years ago

so I unplugged all wires bringing power to the different boards and the transformer itself between the transformer and the main line, and flipped the switch and the fuse didn't blow, plugged the transformer back in and it blew once we flipped it back on. so I guess I need to start with replacing the transformer, then go from there?

#5 4 years ago

I'd disconnect the wires leaving the transformer and try again. If it blows a fuse again you might check the wires going to the transformer for a short otherwise it sounds like a bad transformer. To keep from replacing fuses, place your meter on OHMS and place one lead on ground and check for continuity between the wires going to the transformer and ground. There should be no connection between ground and the lead wires (unless there's a ground wire in the lead bundle)

#6 4 years ago

ok, makes sense.

so just tried that, disconnected everything coming out of the transformer, fuse blew, then disconnected the transformer, hooked up my multimeter and tested the 6 pins in the connector coming from the main line, and nothing is grounded (btw, I checked the thermistor earlier as well and it shows no sign of damage.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/monopoly-main-fuse-keeps-blowing- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.