Screenshot_20230127_192320_Samsung Notes (resized).jpg
51528D37-827E-4E26-97DC-60F8C3D46651 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
2788930E-B943-4E25-A821-408BE50AE21D (resized).jpeg
E5698035-AABE-413E-972D-F6B148494527 (resized).jpeg
Monopoly Mini DMD 1 (resized).JPG
Monopoly Mini DMD 2 (resized).JPG
52523558376_1183ecd31e_o (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Scotty_K.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#378 5 years ago

My question to you is this: Do you have the mini flipper already, and do you have the drive(n) wheel that attaches to it? That's the really tough part to find; I've been looking for a replacement for mine for four years. I finally fashioned one out of oak, of all things, and it's been working perfectly.

Good luck with your search!

2 weeks later
#393 5 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

The last issue I seem to be having has to do with the ball lock down left side. Whether you have 1 or 2 balls in lock and you lose final ball the game ends and doesn't immediately eject those balls out takes like a minute or 2 before it ejects them. Anybody ever experience this issue and if so how the hell do you remedy it?

That's actually normal operation; no problem there.

Sounds like you have everything solved; enjoy!!

1 week later
#411 5 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Found these templates online for the free parking ramp, the top of the left and right ramp and just to left of the chance trough. Will be getting these cut out and hopefully installed later on today.
[quoted image]

Good job with these! I added these to my Monopoly several years ago, and they are perhaps the single best thing you can add to it. Certainly prevents balls from flying off the ramps.

I'm certain I have the link for these somewhere, but if you have it handy, you might wish to post it for others.

Regarding the speed/direction of the mini flipper, I had a similar problem years ago. Perhaps this might help:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/monopoly-mini-flipper-spins-like-crazy

I seem to recall also that the single direction (counter-clockwise) of the mini flipper was an update to the code, as has been previously mentioned. I'm running 3.01, and while I have occasional catches of the ball, the flipper will change direction after a few seconds, releasing it.

BTW, the speed of the mini flipper will increase as the water works multiplier increases, thus making the skill shot and subsequent attempts at water works more difficult.

#415 5 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Well crap I guess it pretty much sounds like im gonna have to swap out the roms then. Ive never had to do that before and I dont have any friends that can burn me a copy so I guess I will look at that matts basement place. Is the process pretty much simple as removing the old one and setting new one in the old ones place?

Yes, it's pretty much straight forward. The ROMs will be labelled with the correct socket locations. If you don't have a chip puller, a small flat screwdriver will suffice. Just pry them up a little at a time from both ends, and try to be careful not to bend the legs. Then just gently push the new ones in, again making sure not to bend the legs. Also, make sure all of the legs are seated properly (I had a bent one once that didn't seat; drove me nuts until I found it!).

If you are planning on acquiring more pins in the future, you might want to invest in a chip burner for yourself. They're not that terribly expensive:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01212KD74/

1 week later
#431 5 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Menards sells small sheets of the lexan you will need to make these. http://pinballzone.com/tech/monopolyflap.php

...as does Lowes and Home Depot. Just about any home improvement store should have it.

4 months later
#605 5 years ago

I have exactly the same problem; a set screw that can't be removed. I still have the wheel, but I got so frustrated with trying to get it out that I wound up fashioning my own driven wheel out of oak, believe it or not. It's been in my Monopoly for 4 1/2 years now, and it works fine, but ideally I'd still like to get that darned screw out and put the original wheel back in.

If you manage to get yours out, I'd be very grateful to know how you did it.

#607 5 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Last resort would be to drill it out then use a tap to create a new thread the next size or 2 up and use a matching allen key screw of course.

This was my intention, but it's easier said than done, I'm afraid. I believe the set screw is stainless steel. I tried to drill it out myself, to no avail. I also took it to a machine shop where they had a drill press; they couldn't drill it out either.

When I have some time, I'd like to go back to this and try again, but my wooden replacement is still working well, so there's no pressing need, thankfully.

2 weeks later
#619 5 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Apparently ROM 3.2 is broken, and you want to be using 3.01 or 3.03. It’s a shame too as 3.2 is a few years newer and had several enhancements and fixes.

Yep, sounds like 3.2 to me. You're going to need to get 3.03.

3 months later
#675 4 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

I believe there was a software rev where it went in both directions.

Yes, that is correct. On the Monopoly that I previously owned, the flipper went in both directions. It would spin one way for a period of time, and then change direction. If you look under the playfield, you will notice that the wheel that the flipper is connected to has 3 plastics attached to it, with a small protrusion on one edge. As the wheel is spinning, that bump would make contact with a switch, which I guess that after a series of switch throws were noted, the wheel would change direction. I heard that a later code update had the wheel only going in the counterclockwise direction, because sometimes the ball would get caught between the flipper and the post when spinning clockwise. I had that happen every so often, but when the flipper changed direction, it would be freed.

1 month later
#692 4 years ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

Also, is this a common place to get a ball stuck on this pin? I’ve had it happen a few times already, and am just curious if others have experienced this as well
[quoted image]

Oh yeah, you definitely need the ramp mods here; otherwise, the ball will just keep flying off. A design flaw, to be sure.

You can make your own using Lexan. Here is the link for the patterns:
http://pinballzone.com/tech/monopolyflap.php

(PS: WARNING!! DON'T click the link for the supposed "ready made" ones, marked "King of Payne". It takes you somewhere you might not wish to be. Consider yourself warned!!)

1 year later
#741 3 years ago
Quoted from OTRChief:

Part way through Land Grab I get an error message "Operator Alert! #1 Trough Up-Kicker Coil Malfunction". I continue to get balls added when I loose them and the coil tests fine. The only problem is I loose some of the Land Grab scenes. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

I used to have this exact same issue when I owned a Monopoly. Unfortunately, I never did solve this problem (I have since sold my machine).

I hope someone else has some ideas about this and you are able to get it going.

3 weeks later
#751 3 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

My machine has been pretty much error-free for a year now but we are all know the way things just happen. So if I start a game the mini flipper is running at the slow speed like it should then all of a sudden it will just pick up to the higher speed for whatever reason and stay that way throughout the course of the game. Does anybody know what the sequence is that you have to complete for the mini flipper to speed up? I'm thinking if I track down whatever it is that tells the flipper to go at the higher speed then that is the likely culprit. Stuck switch or intermittent one or a shorting wire is what I was thinking. I'm getting no error messages and everything checks out in switch edge test. Any insight would be appreciated.

I had this exact same problem when I owned this pin. I found that the problem is with the switch being out of alignment with the rotating wheel beneath the playfield. There are three plastic pieces attached to the wheel that have a protrusion on them that are supposed to throw the switch as the wheel rotates. There is a test for this in the Portals that you can check to see if this is working properly. If the switch is not thrown within a particular time period, the wheel will just start spinning at a really high rate of speed. In that case, you can adjust the switch to make sure it registers each time the bump hits it.

Hope this helps.

6 months later
#792 2 years ago
Quoted from Ceckitti:

I know its not the "correct" way to fix it..... but I took some black electrical tape and wrapped it around the motor gear to build it up some, and then added the rubber. It grabs good now and kicks the ball out every time.

Yep, I did the exact same thing when I owned a Monopoly. It worked great for the entire time I owned it (almost 6 years!).

6 months later
#832 2 years ago
Quoted from Stebel:

There is a service bulletin about the sound on monopoly. You need to check the values of the resistors.
https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/sb133.pdf

This is correct. I had the humming on my Monopoly. When I changed the resistors per the service bulletin, it calmed down considerably.

Apparently, this only became an issue when people started putting machines in the home environment. Usually pins on location were in noisy places already, so who would have noticed?

#835 2 years ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Not sure on that one, I do my own board work. But I would imagine Stern wouldnt mind replacing those two components for you. Its better than trying to do it yourself and messing up a good board.
If you take it to them, wouldn't hurt to ask about removing the batteries at the same time to preserve the board long term.

Yep, I would agree that it wouldn't hurt to ask.

I did my own board work as well. Not too hard to do, but you have to know what you are doing. But when I get into something that I can't handle, I send it off to Chris Hibler (he's here on Pinside). He does great work; very professional and reasonably priced.

#838 2 years ago
Quoted from Stebel:

You have to confirm that your board actually has the wrong resistor values. My monopoly has the correct values and it is a factory board, no work done to it.
No sense sending out a board for no reason.

Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Good point. Just checked mine and I also have the correct resistors.
My only issue is that the sound is still too loud. Even on the lowest setting. I was hoping maybe changing the resistors would help.

Yes, the resistors that are listed in the manual would be correct ones from the factory; subsequently, it has that loud hum during attract mode. If you go back and read the service bulletin, the fix was suggested when bringing the game into the home market:

Undesirable hum and some audible distortion
when the volume is set below Level 4 in the
Volume Menu (accessed by pressing the "Red" Button first of the Service Switch Set on the
Coin Door; Level Range is 0 - 31).

Due to the large number of games being sold in the "Home Market," it was brought to our attention that at very low volume
settings, there is an undesirable hum in the audio. To eliminate the hum (at very low volume), we are suggesting two (2) Resistor changes which will reduce the gain of the amplifier, however, will ensure the proper balance between the upper and lower channels are intact.
Note 1: This will reduce the overall loudness of the game; you will need to set the Volume Level higher to achieve the same level you had before.
Note 2: This update on the CPU/Sound Board (SPI Part Number: 520-5136-16) is backwards compatible, though you may have to TURN UP or DOWN the factory default volume setting depending on the game.

Have a qualified technician change R110 to a 33K  1/4 Watt Resistor and change R106 to a 10K  1/4 Watt Resistor

Hope this clarifies things.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, NY
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

Machine - For Sale
Vienna, VA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fishers, IN
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Scotty_K.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/monopoly-club-own-it-all?tu=Scotty_K and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.