Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bank_opto_jig_(resized).png
#1 8 years ago

Hello all...

I've just recently finished swapping the playfield on my Monopoly. One thing that was causing me issues before I started was the bank door, and figured if I saw a decent replacement emitter/receiver I'd pick it up. I luckily found one and replaced.

The original problem was the 2nd switch (the "A") was not registering. After replacing, the same issue continues. While the playfield is up, and observing the testing lights on the bank opto board, when I block "K" it's fine..."N" is fine...."A" doesn't do anything...and "B" closes both "B" and "A".

Is this a connector problem? How would I test this?

Any suggestions would be appreciated,

Thanks for your time,
Mike

#2 8 years ago

I guess the question is how do I test a connector (plastic molex like)? If someone can give me some insight I can at least test/exclude this option and look elsewhere. Or if anyone has any other ideas that'd be sweet

#3 8 years ago

From your description it sounds like you might have light bleeding into the "A" position. Make a jig that looks like this

bank_opto_jig_(resized).pngbank_opto_jig_(resized).png

In switch test,
Line up the hole with the "K" opto pair, block the beam to toggle the switch, then slide it over to the next pair. Does "A" respond this way?

If you get in the right position you can see the light being emitted by the upper optos reflected in the surface of the playfield clearcoat. Do you see all 4?

Block out the upper optos temporarily with electrical tape. All 4 optos should reflect open. Using an incandescent flashlight, shine it down on the lower optos one at a time. Each one should toggle when light hits the opto.

What are the results of the above?

6 months later
#4 7 years ago

Hello all,

Instead of creating a thread for this same topic, I thought I would start here. I started helping my father fix a few things on a newly acquired monopoly machine, and we are having issues with the bank door. Presumably, the door will not open because the optos are dysfunctional.

Here's the details: The opto transmitter is on, and the opto receiver functions when tested manually with a light in the switch tests. Despite this, the opto receiver is unable to pick up the light from the transmitter. I believe this partially to be because the clear area in front of the bank door by the playfield is a little foggy and may be diffusing the light. It works with a brighter light, but not those on the transmitter. Similarly, it could be possibly they aren't lining up perfectly yet none are registering.

Does anyone have any tips on how to fix this? I don't imagine I would need to purchase new boards since they are running fine, but I'm curious what others think my next move should be. Any advice is appreciated, I spent far too long on this today haha.

Thank you!

#5 7 years ago

My last post has some things to try.

First off, open the coin door and enter PORTALS menu. Use buttons to start switch test. Use your finger to block the bank optos. Just slowly move your finger over the window inert in the playfield. As you move left to right each opto switch should respond with sound and dot matrix animation.

Do any of the 4 respond?

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

My last post has some things to try.
First off, open the coin door and enter PORTALS menu. Use buttons to start switch test. Use your finger to block the bank optos. Just slowly move your finger over the window inert in the playfield. As you move left to right each opto switch should respond with sound and dot matrix animation.
Do any of the 4 respond?

Hey Cody- I tried this, no responses. Despite this, if I do the same switch test with the opto-receiver removed (but still plugged in) and test it with a light source on the opposite side, it does respond appropriately. It just can't seem to register the transmitter through the clear portion of the playfield. I'm thinking of maybe trying some NOVUS on it to clear up the plastic?

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from ZeldaOoT:

Hey Cody- I tried this, no responses. Despite this, if I do the same switch test with the opto-receiver removed (but still plugged in) and test it with a light source on the opposite side, it does respond appropriately. It just can't seem to register the transmitter through the clear portion of the playfield. I'm thinking of maybe trying some NOVUS on it to clear up the plastic?

Absolutely. If that window is dark with black dust, it will affect operation.

#8 7 years ago

Update: I got the bank door functional. I didn't want to wait for NOVUS to come in the mail, so I picked up from Meguiar's PlastX from autozone on the way home. I cleaned the inside and outside of the plastic insert in front of the bank. I then used some vinegar windex the rinse it off, and cleaned the transmitter/receiver bulbs. This allowed the light to pass through better. Afterward, I had an alignment issue still so I made a few adjustments on the top and bottom, and now it's good to go overall. All 4 switches are lighting up, only 1 and 3 register in switch test, but most importantly I can play unimpeded so it really doesn't matter. I may try to fine tune later. Thank you all.

2 years later
#9 5 years ago

When you cleaned the insert, did you remove it from the playfield?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, NY
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Vienna, VA
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 12.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/monopoly-bank-door-opto and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.