Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Rick432
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

texas_2008_1262.JPG
20130608_154655.jpg
IMG_2910_(800x533).jpg
IMG_2880_(800x533).jpg
IMG_2908_(800x533).jpg

#1 7 years ago

Whats up guys...I know its been awhile.

Anyone have strong opinions either way about Monopoly? I've wanted a PL game for awhile and also want another Stern...in the ~25 ish range. I guess that would leave this, RCT, Nascar, or Ripley's. I was actually really interested in RCT, but I think that troll voice will drive me nuts.

#3 7 years ago

To start with the troll: yes it's very annoying and will drive you insane!

Nascar is a great game in terms of 'things to do'. It has many different modes and is quite a challenging game altogether.

I don't really know Ripley's.

As for Monopoly, we've had one in the game room for over a year. Its a fun game, very clean design and brightly lit. It's been some years since I have played one, but from what I can remember it was fun and I played it a lot. The tiny left ramp is really fast and the little rotating flipper makes for some crazy gameplay! Have you played it recently yourself?

#4 7 years ago

i would recommend monopoly, i just got a whirlwind so any of the newer PL design games aren't on my radar anymore. out of the ones you mentioned monopoly would be my pick. Haven't played ripley's or RCT, but i did play nascar and it was only ok to me. go with monopoly, its got the tried and tested playfield design with some cool tricks like the RR ramp and the water works flipper, and who could forget to "hit the BANK"!

#5 7 years ago

RCT troll drove me nuts on location, so I can't even imagine owning it. It's a fun game, but not one I'd pay that kind of cash for.
PL games are sweet for sure. Apparently I am the only person with a lot of experience with Ripley's. I think it's a great game. Not as good as top of the line Sterns (TSPP, LOTR) but a lot of fun, with a ton of different modes. If the artwork weren't so bad (like WPT) I think a lot of other people would want it. Expect really long ball times though, some people love that, others think it's too easy.
Monopoly is also a lot of fun, there are cool shots, and from beginner to experienced player the game is interesting. I think Nascar is an okay game, but even RCT is more fun. Hope that helps.

#6 7 years ago

I'd go with RBION. I found it to be a very fun and deep game. Plenty of different shots. It just doesn't have a lot of toys but that does mean less that could break on you. The ball times are long with a bit of stop and go action but it isn't too long that it takes away from the game.
Monopoly was fun too. Also has a wide variety of shots. I didn't play it enough to totally figure out the rule set though.
I enjoyed nascar as well. There are some fun shots. But the ball looping around the outside of the PF got old after a few games. I thought it really messed up the flow, especially if I was trying to start multi-ball and the ball wouldn't get on the PF.
Never played RCT.

#7 7 years ago

I have a RBION and play a Monopoly at a local location very often. My vote is for RBION, its more challenging, has better interesting toys, strange and odd rules, and a difficult wizard mode to achieve.

Monopoly has some cool shots as well but for me I just feel like Im constantly hitting that main ramp, or back handing the railroad ramp over and over.

I cant really speak for Nascar

Rbion, then Monopoly

roller skating penguins how strange...

#8 7 years ago

I was very disappointed in Monopoly. It was quite a while ago that I played it, but at the place I was, it was the machine that was in best condition (some were really beat), but it got only 2 sets of quarters before I went to play something better. I don't really remember what I hated about it so much, but I remember not liking it at all.

NASCAR is not bad, and it's fun to play, but it really doesn't feel very Lawlory (heck, I didn't know it was a Lawlor design until I checked now! Usually you can just look at the PF and it's obvious). Again, not a bad pin, certainly a pin that i'd feed if I came across a decent one on location, but it's not a standout machine IMO.

Havn't played RCT.

I guess FG/Shreck is more expensive? (too lazy to check). That one is pretty good, and has a lot of Lawlor trademarks - important upper flipper, his classic ramps, mini PF, and half of the PF full of stuff. Unfortunately, you get the choice between either a corny theme, or a crude theme - the theme alone is enough to dissuade me from ever considering owning this one. Also, it's got that save-post in the middle, which makes it kinda easy at times - but that can be disabled if you own the machine (I'm going to guess that he designed a game of TZ difficulty, and then management said it was too hard).

RBION is a good one. Been a while since I played it, but I remember it being a fun game, and I didn't have to read the credits to know who designed it. I would recommend this one.

#9 7 years ago

Rbion is one of the best kept secrets in new sterns. I would add one in a second.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Rbion is one of the best kept secrets in new sterns. I would add one in a second.

Well Said Atomic Boy, That is exactly how I feel. I have had Monopoly and recently got Ripley's. Ripley's is just a blast and can be had cheap!!! Great bank for the buck and then some.

#12 7 years ago

cool, thanks for the input. I think i've ruled out RCT - too bad too because if it wasn't annoying I think it has some potential.

yes, I have played Monopoly before, but it was 2 years ago and on the Ohio turnpike...where games are neglected terribly. I do remember liking it. I'm most familier with Nascar but I have looked for awhile and can't find one in my area.

I'm gonna check one out a Monopoly this Sunday - I'll let you know. Thanks again for the input.

#13 7 years ago

I just played Nascar yesterday for the 1st time and did not enjoy it very much. It was at a pizza place close to my office and wanted to break up the day a bit and went for my lunch break. I found it by using pinside maps and thaught I was going to play POTC and sterns IJ which are two pins I have never played also yet the place got rid of those and had a nascar. The game was in bad condition its been a while since I have seen so much playfield wear and was a sad sight to see a game operating in such poorly kept condition. Like captainadam said the ball going around playfield a few times is cool at 1st yet then gets annoying.. Its not a terriable game and one in good condition I am sure would be alot better experience. Yet the game I feel would get old quick in a HUO enviroment unless your a die hard nascar fan or somthing.

#14 7 years ago

Monopoly... fun, but $2500 worth of fun? I don't think so.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

Monopoly... fun, but $2500 worth of fun? I don't think so.

+1

#16 7 years ago

Monopoly is a fun and has a great layout but it is one of those Lawlor games that I tend to play the same way each time, Road Show is another. Probably my own fault but that puts me off.
+ another for Rbion as it always seems to throw up something different.
I enjoy the flow of Nascar, although I know of many others that don't like it.
RCT? hmmm not sure as the whole game feels unfinished to me. To be honest I think I prefer Comet.
Therefore in order: Rbion, Nascar, Monopoly, and RCT.

#17 7 years ago

I actually collect monopoly board games and oddly enough there are many other pins I would rather have than monopoly.

#18 7 years ago

I like Monopoly but I would say RBION may be better. Don't like NASCAR or RCT.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from robin:

I don't really know Ripley's

personally, i find ripley's to be on of the more entertaining and in depth machines stern has made in the past decade. the problem many of these machines has, is the right 'drop' target (not really a drop target, but a fall back target, to start up differen't continents. if this mech works well (meaning it doesn't 'reject' or send back the ball towards the flippers), it is playing well. i've played decent ripley's, and horrible ripley's. i love this game..the intrigue is all there maybe because my interest, and there's an official rippley's museum where i live (jackson wy)

here's some info;

http://www.conceptattractions.com/html/jackson.htm

#20 7 years ago

Rbion is next up for a review and rule sheet once I finish the T3 one I'm doing at the moment. If anyone wants in to help figure out points awards give me a shout. I'm guessing that is what has held people back in the past.

Note: Rbion is great in a small collection like mine, as it has good replay value. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets overlooked in a large one though.

#21 7 years ago

I had a Monopoly in my collection for a few months. It just didn't excite me, it's not a bad game though.

I took the game to the the UK Pinball Show in August. When it came back, I left it packed away in my garage until I eventually sold it last weekend. (I already had the buyer lined up for it in August), I just couldn't be bothered with the hassle of dragging it back into the house and setting it up again only to haul it back out again later, that's how much I enjoyed the game.

I have only played partly working games of RCT or RBION in arcades, and haven't played Nascar, so can't form a valid opinon on those games.

Emo, that's great to see you taking the time and trouble to write up rule sheets for these modern games.

#22 7 years ago

I played RCT for a while at the PHOF. Once you get over the initial awe of the ramps, the game is actually kind of boring. I also found it to be quite easy with really long ball times. My family ended up having to drag me away because we had to leave and my game just wouldn't end.

RBION is a great game, and it's actually on my wishlist. Never played Monopoly or Nascar.

#23 7 years ago

monopoly. what a great concept. what a classic board game to because a pin@!!!!
here's the problems. the custom flipper an outer lanes, including the inner lanes which add 2 times the risk of draining you pinball more offten than not. it just the waythe lower playfield was construction. i actually find the game interesting an d challeging. scoes a high number ad the rocky showdown..think i was 11 in place on that machien alone. n ot bad..i had n ever played it

#24 7 years ago

I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned already, but you should really take a closer look at Pinside's home page since you missed my article.

http://pinside.com/pinball/archive/monopoly/stories/monopoly-my-in-depth-review

Hope that helps. RBION is great too.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from ryanleblanc:

I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned already

It was. Good article

#26 7 years ago

After reading that article...I decided to go check it out. The guy said it was mint so I took his word for it and set off on a little trip. It was a few hour drive, but I love road trips and things have been very dry in my area lately so I didn't mind.
The owner bought it NIB, then put it in his dad's basement...where it sat for years. It needs a little cleaning, but he is right its mint. swapped the cash and shook on it, then started the tear down process.
Getting it out of the basement was a pain, even with a dolly, but we managed (basically doing it by myself). Thats part of the fun in some aspects. Got it home late last night and fired up some games with my fellow collector and my wife. It's definately a fun game! As I always do, I study the rules and tweak things to my liking, and so far I'm impressed. The things that people dog on this machine don't bother me at all - but then again it still in the 'honeymoon' phase.

It may not be the best flowing or deepest game, but it certainly is fun and I'm glad I bought it.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from thokennedy:

It may not be the best flowing or deepest game, but it certainly is fun and I'm glad I bought it.

Great, glad that you are pleased with your purchase. It is always a pleasure to play a game in great condition and it sounds like it's a nice one.

#28 7 years ago

Congrats! Just played Monopoly for the first time this weekend and thought it was pretty fun. That Railroad ramp sure surprises you with how fast it is the first few times you hit it!

#29 7 years ago

Ive heard many good things about monopoly,
Please let us know what your thoughts are after a few weeks on it.

#30 7 years ago

Just played some games of Monopoly yesterday. Fun game! great animations and a great change of pace from my other Bally/williams games. Much easier for newbies to play and I found it relaxing. Definitely game I want in the future.

#31 7 years ago

Congrats Tom, Monopoly is a cool game.

#32 7 years ago

I didn't like Monopoly at first but it grew on me. It has a tight and drainy lower playfield and does not reward flailers so your first 10 or so games are going to be pretty short.

There's some strategy to moving around the board. For example, I advance railroads by back-handing the small ramp and then advance spots to get to the green area for some quick millions.

The wizard mode is not a point windfall. You actually have to play it and do well to get good points.

It has a nice cross shot and is very vaguely reminiscent of TAF, but feels quite different in part because it's stern hardware.

2 weeks later
#33 7 years ago

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I just got a Monopoly this weekend, and was curious what other's have said about it.

Quoted from thokennedy:

This is my initial impression as well. I'm partial to the early SS games, but wanted a newer DMD for my collection. I originally wanted a LOTR, but it was a bit too much $$ and the wife/kids didn't like the theme. I'm thinking someday I may still trade up....

Quoted from Riffbear:

Please let us know what your thoughts are after a few weeks on it.

I'm curious to know also. We had a blast playing it this weekend, but I'd like to know how it holds up over time.

Quoted from jonnyo:

There's some strategy to moving around the board. For example, I advance railroads by back-handing the small ramp and then advance spots to get to the green area for some quick millions.

D'oh! ...why didn't I think of this? Thanks for the tip.

#34 7 years ago

I've got a question for the other Monopoly owners. I'm wondering if my 'bank' is working 100%. It does open and close during the game, but I'm wondering if sometimes it gets stuck closed. For example, I've heard Mr. Monopoly say something like "ball lock is lit - hit the center ramp" - but the bank door is closed. Has this ever happened to you? What are the rules regarding the bank - when is the door supposed to open/close?

#35 7 years ago

Apparently it is important to have the most recent updates for the game to function properly. It also improves the rules and you move further and faster. It's probably worth checking.

#36 7 years ago

even if the lock is enabled...it doesn't mean the door will open if you hit the left ramp recently.

I'm liking it the more I play it...there is some good strategy with the railroads and standup target as well. for example, you could go for the standup target right away and get to the 'pass go' award and immediately start locking balls. that way, the rail roads are still easy to hit on the next time around to start multiball. once you do 4 railroad shots, it gets harder to hit since you then need an orbit shot to light the railroad...so don't waste em!

Once expo is done I'm going to start working on an updated rulesheet since there is alot missing from the existing ones. although i still can't figure out the 4 way combo, someone please post if you know how.

#37 7 years ago

just to clarify on the bank...once you hit it, it opens and spots a letter in bank. then hit the left ramp to close it again.

#38 7 years ago

RBION is a great game! a Gem!

1 year later
#39 6 years ago

Going to dig this thread up and weigh in since I've spent a ton of time on all the above mentioned.

First, Nascar is a fun pin, and it can be stupid fast if setup correctly. Plenty of modes, ''bash the car'', dual spinners, drops, captive ball. It has the goods, only the theme holds it back for many.

RCT- it has some decent shots, but the rules are lacking, and the troll is hands down, one of the most annoying things in a pin ever. The upper right flipper is a near waste, as there is a boring swing gate for it, but no upper spinner. And the top rollover are too difficult to get to- it's just luck if you do, which makes getting bonus x multipliers near impossible.

RBION- Fine game all the way, great shots, simple appearance, but the rules are all there and fun to boot. Not easy at all to get to Atlantis, but very rewarding feeling if you manage to. Just a cool little game.

Monopoly- This pin is very hit or miss with many. I love it. It reminds me a lot of Whirlwind, but better imho. It has good flow if you know what you're doing, and the art package is great, because it looks and feels just like the board game.
Dialed in, it definitely has the goods. One thing to consider is to remove 2 of the 4 plastic posts in the upper pops area. This opens up the ''shot through the pops'' area that Lawlor is famous for, to feed the upper flipper. It's just too difficult a shot because it gets hung up on the rubber when all four are in place, so I'm not sure what the purpose is for 4? I thought maybe it was to get more action is the pops, but I find there is still plenty of action in there with 2 posts.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

One thing to consider is to remove 2 of the 4 plastic posts in the upper pops area.

I'm going to try this out. Thanks for the tip!

#41 6 years ago

Monopoly is a keeper in my collection. Joe's new 3D topper looks great too. Fun pin for the price!

IMG_2908_(800x533).jpg IMG_2880_(800x533).jpg IMG_2910_(800x533).jpg

#42 6 years ago

Doughslinger delivered mine yesterday. Great addition to my collection. Thanks Buddy!

#43 6 years ago

Monopoly just didn't do it for me or my family. It was ooookaaaaaayyyyy, i guess. But felt simple and redundant. The level of play was easy. Mechanically it was simple. And the theme was very nice.

The pinball equivalent of kissing one's own sister.

I could see how others could really like it, especially for the money. And the railroad wireform was nifty.

But we don't miss it.

To each his own.

#44 6 years ago

Doughslinger delivered mine yesterday. Great addition to my collection. Thanks Buddy!

Thanks again Jim, I hope it gives you years of enjoyment like mine! I think its cool that The Banker now has a pin about banking!

20130608_154655.jpg

#45 6 years ago

Monopoly is a different game all around. To me its a fun , easy game but I don't give it much play compared to my newer Sterns.

The game seems to draw the female players for some reason. It seems to be a game that my wife will go to often to play , which is good.

texas_2008_1262.JPG

#46 6 years ago

I've got a very nice, freshly shopped out Monopoly available for sale in Evanston, IL in case anyone is interested, $2,500.

Joe (joemagiera at ameritech dot net)
joemagiera@ameritech.net

#47 6 years ago

Monopoly is da bomb, its that true shit.

#48 6 years ago

Funny seeing this thread again. I really tried to like Monopoly, and I thought the family would enjoy it as well. It was my first DMD, and I was excited about having a 'deeper' pin to play.

Unfortunately, it just didn't work out. The family never really played it that much, and when I did - they were annoyed with the sounds. That 'beep-beep, beep-beep' whistle really got on everyone's nerves. Monopoly only lasted about a month in my house. I traded it in towards an Avatar, and that was a much better fit for our family. Avatar stayed for over a year, and we played it a TON. IMHO, it's an under-rated pin - and deserves more respect than what it gets.

Despite enjoying it - a few months ago we traded Avatar for AC/DC Premium. No regrets there.

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Funny seeing this thread again. I really tried to like Monopoly, and I thought the family would enjoy it as well. It was my first DMD, and I was excited about having a 'deeper' pin to play.
Unfortunately, it just didn't work out. The family never really played it that much, and when I did - they were annoyed with the sounds. That 'beep-beep, beep-beep' whistle really got on everyone's nerves. Monopoly only lasted about a month in my house. I traded it in towards an Avatar, and that was a much better fit for our family. Avatar stayed for over a year, and we played it a TON. IMHO, it's an under-rated pin - and deserves more respect than what it gets.
Despite enjoying it - a few months ago we traded Avatar for AC/DC Premium. No regrets there.

My family with a VERY similar story, only we did not transition to the Avatar and went directly from Monopoly to ACDC Premium!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Calgary, AB
$ 1,000.00
Playfields
Pinball Playfields
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Panama City Beach, FL
3,050 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sudbury, MA
$ 169.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 2.50
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside