• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg

#1 5 years ago

Found some good info here on Pimside about the sensor but I'd like to clarify something which might help me setting up my new sensor on WOZ. Does the sensor, sense the magnet on the flying monkey when it comes down to capture the ball or does it sense the big magnet on the playfield? Trying to understand exactly what it's doing so I might have a better chance of dialing it in correctly. Appreciate any info you might have. Thanks

#2 5 years ago

Pretty sure it's a proximity sensor for the ball, so it knows when to activate the magnet.

#3 5 years ago

Interesting question as my monkey is not grabbing the ball. JJP tech support told me that most likely my monkey is not travelling quite far enough down and the magnet is unable to pick up the ball. My monkey magnet sensor test seems to work (if I'm doing it right). I'll be following this thread to see your resolution. Good luck and I will post again if I get mine working as intended.

#4 5 years ago

i had monkey problems when i first got my game, ended up i had 2 separate problems that needed adjustment to get it to work right. First, the monkey would go down but not quite far enough to touch the ball all the way, so he would drop it and head home, to fix that, i removed 5 nuts that hold monkey mechanics, and bent small leaf switch at bottom switch enabling the monkey to go down just a hair more and touch ball, easy fix that took 5 mins. My other problem was the hall sensor not being in the right place, this takes some patience, i put tape on mine and moved it around till i found a good spot. this video helped me a lot. careful not to over heat magnet, it will burn out quick.

#5 5 years ago

hehehehe. monkey will not go down. Try using peanut butter.

#6 5 years ago

Good info here. So I'm guessing the sensor, senses a magnetic field thru the ball while it's captured on the playfield magnet, yes? No issues picking up the ball as I made the same adjustment kahanaohanaso did when I first received the machine. It did the same thing, monkey didn't go quite far enough down the worm gear.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from FXR:

So I'm guessing the sensor, senses a magnetic field thru the ball while it's captured on the playfield magnet, yes?

When I was adjusting my sensor it would register whenever the magnet was activated whether a ball was present or not. After I found the "right" spot for the sensor it only registered when a ball was on the activated magnet. I believe that confirms your guess above and matches with my understanding of how the sensor works.

FYI: For my sensor I just had to just leave 1 screw in place and then rotates it and then tighten it down.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

After I found the "right" spot for the sensor it only registered when a ball was on the activated magnet. I believe that confirms your guess above and matches with my understanding of how the sensor works.
FYI: For my sensor I just had to just leave 1 screw in place and then rotates it and then tighten it down.

Perfect. Thank you. I can now install the new sensor with a bit of an education. Much appreciation to all who responded.

#9 5 years ago

Please update when fixed. If a photo is possible that would be wonderful.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Absolutely will. Should have my monitor driver board delivered the beginning of this week and I'll be more than happy to update with some photos.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

When I was adjusting my sensor it would register whenever the magnet was activated whether a ball was present or not. After I found the "right" spot for the sensor it only registered when a ball was on the activated magnet. I believe that confirms your guess above and matches with my understanding of how the sensor works.

Correct, and ditto on my fix....kind of a pita to get it " just right", and have had to go back in twice to nail it...make sure to put both screws back in snug when you find the right spot....will definitely wiggle out of alignment if you don't....

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Correct, and ditto on my fix....kind of a pita to get it " just right", and have had to go back in twice to nail it...make sure to put both screws back in snug when you find the right spot....will definitely wiggle out of alignment if you don't....

Thanks for the info MK6PIN, Do you have the chip on the sensor board facing the backboard or facing away? Would you happen to have a photo of your installation of the sensor? Thanks.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from FXR:

Thanks for the info MK6PIN, Do you have the chip on the sensor board facing the backboard or facing away? Would you happen to have a photo of your installation of the sensor? Thanks.

The chip faces out, because the board must rest flush against the backboard....you may end up even bending the sensor out ( just a little to make it work right)

#14 5 years ago

Some were mounted in odd positions...so I recommend just removing one of the screws first , and rotating the top of the board AWAY from the magnet, as it needs to sense the field from the ball, not the magnet...if that doesn't work, you'll need to take both screws out and find the sweet spot.

Be careful, though, because that magnet gets very hot very quick if you test too many time in a row...

I got good at testing it....

1) put playfield up, resting on second set of rail rubbers ( so you can access the test buttons)
2) get a spare ball, put it in rear lane
3) go to menu settings, pull up the magnet sensor test screen
4) make sure coin door closed , then push "enter" ( left hand) when rolling ball over magnet( right hand), if all is right, the green light comes on ONLY if ball is grabbed by magnet.
5) if light comes on with ball not grabbed, sensor too close
6) make sure to take breaks if you can't get it right after about 4 tries, and let magnet cool
7) once you find it, put one screw in snug...verify its still right
, if so, put in second screw and verify several times ( remembering to let the magnet cool)

Hard to get a good pic...in a tough spot...patience is the key...

I thank Eric from JJP in helping me through this late one evening, when I was debating on setting the machine on fire...

The good news....it's an awesome effect when adjusted properly....good luck....mark

#15 5 years ago

Can't thank you all enough. Nice to get this info so quickly and easily. Should have joined Pinside a long time ago. When dirt was made, and me.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

With everyone's help I was able to place the sensor in the perfect place for my pin. Works perfectly now. The monkey mechanism clears the little sensor with no issue. It's directly behind the playfield magnet but high up on the board. Now it only senses the magnetized ball. Pics are hard to get in there so these were the best I can do. Hope it helps.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from FXR:

With everyone's help I was able to place the sensor in the perfect place for my pin. Works perfectly now. The monkey mechanism clears the little sensor with no issue. It's directly behind the playfield magnet but high up on the board. Now it only senses the magnetized ball. Pics are hard to get in there so these were the best I can do. Hope it helps.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Excellent work!!!!! make sure to put that other screw in there so it doesn't wiggle out of position....(speaking from experience)......

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Excellent work!!!!! make sure to put that other screw in there so it doesn't wiggle out of position....(speaking from experience)......

Second screw in. Just making sure it was working during game play. Working perfectly from both right and left orbit now. And very true, it's a very slight adjustment either way to get it just right. Worth the effort for sure.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside