2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 85 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by nwpinball
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gambit3113.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 2 years ago

A close family member in my wife's family did almost this exact thing 6 or 7 years ago now. She and her husband seemed like everything was just fine, then when their daughter graduated high school she rekindled an old flame with a guy she dated when she was like 14 years old. Things weren't exciting in her marriage and she had a late window to go be truly happy, yada yada yada... She divorced her husband, who was a great guy and was pretty devastated. Then new guy came swooping in to save her and ride off into the sunset for the start of the rest of their lives. Until he turned out to be kind of a dick. Turns out he was human and had all manner of flaws, too. Not to mention he left his sick wife and family several states away to run to Texas for the greener pastures, also. They were broken up and he was back trying to mend things with his ex-wife and moved away within a year.

BUT, the one silver lining to the whole thing was that her ex-husband took the time to reflect and realize that he wanted and deserved better. He took a healthy lifestyle and did some things he had been wanting to do for some time but never got around to doing. Bought a project muscle car and lost some weight. He traveled around a bit, and met an awesome woman that he eventually married and that he is crazy about. Now they have a really amazing relationship. Turns out he got the life she left him to find.

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

No truer words were ever spoken.
It sounds silly, but I blame soap operas and chick-flicks for a lot of this type of excuse. I realize I am a male, so my opinion is a but jaded, but guys show affection in different ways, and some just plain have trouble showing it at all. It doesn't mean they don't love someone, and I doubt he made an abrupt change either. he was probably always that way and she knew it when she married him. There are very few fairy tale endings in life...people in real life have jobs, kids, and other commitments, emotional scars and physical pains.
Very seldom does the groom walk into the factory and pick up his bride and carry her out the door to a wonderful and carefree life...it just doesn't work that way, but Hollywood sure like to make people think it does. Most of us are doing good just to carve out a decent survival for ourselves and our families without going nuts in this crazy society that seems to be run by more and more someone named Karen...lol. Just plain sad to see them give up after that amount of time, but it seems to happen more and more.

Yeah, that's some machismo BS, honestly. "Dudes just aren't good at showing emotions" and "Society is getting pussified" are just excuses to continue down an ignorant and head buried in the sand existence. The essence of life is not simply to take what you get or give what you want. There are as many happy endings as there are people willing to make actual strides and do actual work to grow and learn. Emotional scars and physical pains are issues that need and require the work to accept and overcome. And people actually speaking out and acknowledging stress, emotional battles, pain, and mental health issues isn't as a result of the "Karens" of the world taking over. It's simply people actually taking the time to find a healthier and happier way to go about the dim and black clouded existence that you describe so well. Someone wanting more happiness and satisfaction out of life and marriage isn't an affront to masculinity. But masculine insistence that you take what you get because I'm too tired is not an acceptable way to manage a relationship.

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

This isn't new for 2021 any more than it's new for 2010. This is a sad opinion to have that you would be hesitant to marry someone you love and want to spend the rest of your life with "because of social media"

Yeah, I guarantee you that you wouldn't have to go very far to find opinions about not getting married after the telephone was invented.

#66 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Clueless comment.

I don’t know. I laughed.

#78 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Of course you did.
I mean, making fun of someone sharing their personal struggles is always good for a laugh, right?

Yeah, I don’t think that boiling something down to it’s very essence is making fun of it, necessarily.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gambit3113.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mom-leaving-dad-at-near-60?tu=gambit3113 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.