(Topic ID: 240768)

Molex quality has gone down the toilet...

By G-P-E

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

11-03-Blunder (resized).jpg
    08520072_Defect (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

Well... Molex has been my go to company for nearly 20 years. Been consistently good quality.
    For past several years - they have been posting huge price increases. OK -- parts still made in US and good quality, sure - I'll keep going.

Last few shipments have ALL been from Bangladore, India and the quality has been horrendous. Crushed contacts, lots of broken headers, bent pins - stuff I used to never see. Checked into local Molex plant. Old owners used to routinely present productivity and quality awards to the Lincoln plant. Now - sold to new owners (few years back), plant is closed and all employees laid off.

So the question is -- if Molex keeps selling crap quality at high prices, where do I go? I may as well just buy the Taiwanese equivalents and be done with them. I may be switching completely to AMP (TE) even though they cost more (and are probably still made overseas).

... frustrated.

#2 5 years ago

AMP will soon be the only high quality supplier. The Far East suppliers still will send junk unless you have someone there to inspect each shipment, which is only feasible for huge quantities.

#3 5 years ago

Actually - at my 'other' job, Molex has been taboo since the 1980's. We exclusively use AMP and Cannon.
    Even back then - when compared to AMP, Molex was of lesser quality. But for consumer goods, Molex was a 'good' quality component.

#4 5 years ago

The AMP stuff is mostly made in Asia, but, good quality control before it gets here.

#5 5 years ago

It is a big let down that quality suffers in this highly electronic world. Thanks for the update.

Ken

#6 5 years ago

Ed, thanks for looking out for us.
    Keep up the good work.
    I know if you are selling it , the product is the best quality for the price that is available.

#7 5 years ago

& this is why GPE is my go to supplier for pinball electronic parts.
    He cares about supplying quality parts.

#8 5 years ago

Well that sucks to hear quality is going down. I just checked molex boxes and the 24pin cut to size headers are made in Mexico date 1840. The Mate-N-Lok style by molex say India tho and I couldnt find a date. They come in a molded plastic in a box and looked like they made it here OK.

I use a lot of the no locking channel KK cut to size 24pin 1.56" headers. Last time i looked around I couldn't find a good Asian equivalent or something like the GPE value line 0.100" cut to size no lock headers (which i also use lots of).

I have been pretty satisfied with the 0.156" locking headers from Tayda. In some test gear I have with tons of connector cycles there is a mix of tayda (brand X) and molex 0.156" headers with lock channel. The plating on the Tayda headers lasted as long or longer than the similar type molex brand headers before insertion cycling rubbed the plating off.

Allan, who was a Bally engineer and posts here, told an interesting story about the molex pins burning up on the bally rectifier board and why they switched to the mat-n-lok plugs which would fall into the molex being taboo world.

#9 5 years ago

FTR, I've always used and preferred TE/AMP myself. Their pins just seem to work (crips, insert) better, tighter.

#10 5 years ago

Here's something that's irked me..

I bought a ton of 2.54mm plastic keying pins. Thin bits of plastic that must cost $0.00002 to produce. Yet, I've thrown out probably a few dozen or more because the ends of them are broken. These are NEW parts. And cost me like $0.03-0.05ea, I'd have to look. But it's expensive enough and just annoying to buy new parts and have to figure 5% of them are going to have to be tossed.

#11 5 years ago

So if I want to be able to crimp my own power connectors, what should I buy? Any recommendation on tools and connectors themselves?

#12 5 years ago

Thanks for keeping things going! Not sure what I'd do without Great Plains Electronics - my 'go to' business for Gottlieb edge connectors, and all other misc electronic parts.

#13 5 years ago

YES! Thank you Ed for all you do to keep this hobby going!

It is posts like this that trigger my hoarding gene!

#14 5 years ago

This is not good news Ed. We are currently looking at using Molex on a new product we are developing. May have to rethink that. Thanks for the heads up. John

#15 5 years ago

I don't think I'm ever going to be in the market for connectors or pins since I purchased all I will ever need back in the late 80's early 90's, but this is good info. Thanks for the heads-up, Ed.

4 months later
    #16 4 years ago

Moving conversation from separate conversation:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/advise-for-early-solid-state-owners/page/3

Conversation was regarding poor quality of 08-52-0072 crimp contacts. See image below for what is being shipped.

<rant mode on>
    I normally go through about 40K of various contacts per month through Waldom.
    You would think that with a complaint such as this, Waldom would have removed their inventory from resale until they investigated. Nope. When I filed the complaint, they had just over 66000 available. Never took them down during investigation and now it seems that somebody else has bought 5000 of contacts with known problems... and I'll bet Waldom said nothing. As of today, they are showing 61000 remaining.

I did get an RMA number from them for the remainder of what I have left. Will they reimburse me for replenishing the crap ones that went out? No.
    I'm willing to bet when they get these, they will return them to stock and sell them to another unsuspecting customer.

08520072_Defect (resized).jpg08520072_Defect (resized).jpg
    #17 4 years ago

Note 5 in the attached pic -"DIMENSIONS GIVEN ACROSS CENTERLINES ARE SYMETRICAL ABOUT THOSE CENTERINES WITHIN HALF THE TOTAL TOLERANCE."

Um...... No they are not. Not even close.

#18 4 years ago

WTH is with that flange on the left side.... o_O

#19 4 years ago

Problems with the punch die when it was separated from the spool. I get that once in a while when my press doesn’t index properly

#20 4 years ago

Yeah, I was just reading that other linked thread....maybe the vendor (Waldom) running the despooler too quick, he said.

Janky. -_-

#21 4 years ago

Ya know - I was also thinking they had the despooler running too quickly and it wasn't given enough time to stop and center.

#22 4 years ago

More likely too much tension on the spool and it’s not advancing far enough. That’s what usually happens on mine to cause that.

#23 4 years ago

Pretty sad when something that would seem so simple turns into a nightmare.

1 year later
    #24 3 years ago

I never did follow through with what happened with these contacts.

The vendor I used had their stripping machine not setup properly. They ran multiple reels of 08-52-0071 for a good size batch of 08-52-0072 contacts. I sent all that I had left back to the vendor. They did not clear out the defective contacts from their available list. In fact, when they received my contacts that I sent back - their number of contacts available went up. Apparently they did not care that a large percentage was defective.

As a result - I have changed to a new vendor as my regular source for several contact versions.

Also Molex did get involved in this case. Not surprising - *nothing* happened.

#25 3 years ago

Upvote for the update (not that depressing quality / situation)

2 months later
    #26 3 years ago

Been Molexed again.
    Two contact extraction tools for edge connectors used by Gottelieb -- 11-03-0016 and 11-03-0003.
    Metal part of the extractors are identical. Only difference between the two -- 11-03-0016 has a black plastic knob added at the end to provide better grip on the tool.

Used to be the 11-03-0003 was a couple bucks less than the 11-03-0016 but the little plastic knob helped to save your fingers.
    Well... Molex in all their wisdom hiked the price of the 11-03-0003 by more than 2x.
    Then they modified the 11-03-0016 (it is now essential the same thing as the 11-03-0003) and sell it for less than the 11-03-0003.
    WTF?

11-03-Blunder (resized).jpg11-03-Blunder (resized).jpg
    #27 3 years ago

so sad - thx for sharing your experiences and fighting for us Ed!

#28 3 years ago

That's.... a thing.

I'm actually going to need a pin extractor soon, what do you recommend at this point?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/molex-quality-has-gone-down-the-toilet?hl=mombo-number-5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.