(Topic ID: 240768)

Molex quality has gone down the toilet...

By G-P-E

62 days ago

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 60 days ago by swanng
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 62 days ago

Well... Molex has been my go to company for nearly 20 years. Been consistently good quality.
    For past several years - they have been posting huge price increases. OK -- parts still made in US and good quality, sure - I'll keep going.

Last few shipments have ALL been from Bangladore, India and the quality has been horrendous. Crushed contacts, lots of broken headers, bent pins - stuff I used to never see. Checked into local Molex plant. Old owners used to routinely present productivity and quality awards to the Lincoln plant. Now - sold to new owners (few years back), plant is closed and all employees laid off.

So the question is -- if Molex keeps selling crap quality at high prices, where do I go? I may as well just buy the Taiwanese equivalents and be done with them. I may be switching completely to AMP (TE) even though they cost more (and are probably still made overseas).

... frustrated.

#2 62 days ago

AMP will soon be the only high quality supplier. The Far East suppliers still will send junk unless you have someone there to inspect each shipment, which is only feasible for huge quantities.

#3 61 days ago

Actually - at my 'other' job, Molex has been taboo since the 1980's. We exclusively use AMP and Cannon.
    Even back then - when compared to AMP, Molex was of lesser quality. But for consumer goods, Molex was a 'good' quality component.

#4 61 days ago

The AMP stuff is mostly made in Asia, but, good quality control before it gets here.

#5 61 days ago

It is a big let down that quality suffers in this highly electronic world. Thanks for the update.

Ken

#6 61 days ago

Ed, thanks for looking out for us.
    Keep up the good work.
    I know if you are selling it , the product is the best quality for the price that is available.

#7 61 days ago

& this is why GPE is my go to supplier for pinball electronic parts.
    He cares about supplying quality parts.

#8 61 days ago

Well that sucks to hear quality is going down. I just checked molex boxes and the 24pin cut to size headers are made in Mexico date 1840. The Mate-N-Lok style by molex say India tho and I couldnt find a date. They come in a molded plastic in a box and looked like they made it here OK.

I use a lot of the no locking channel KK cut to size 24pin 1.56" headers. Last time i looked around I couldn't find a good Asian equivalent or something like the GPE value line 0.100" cut to size no lock headers (which i also use lots of).

I have been pretty satisfied with the 0.156" locking headers from Tayda. In some test gear I have with tons of connector cycles there is a mix of tayda (brand X) and molex 0.156" headers with lock channel. The plating on the Tayda headers lasted as long or longer than the similar type molex brand headers before insertion cycling rubbed the plating off.

Allan, who was a Bally engineer and posts here, told an interesting story about the molex pins burning up on the bally rectifier board and why they switched to the mat-n-lok plugs which would fall into the molex being taboo world.

#9 61 days ago

FTR, I've always used and preferred TE/AMP myself. Their pins just seem to work (crips, insert) better, tighter.

#10 61 days ago

Here's something that's irked me..

I bought a ton of 2.54mm plastic keying pins. Thin bits of plastic that must cost $0.00002 to produce. Yet, I've thrown out probably a few dozen or more because the ends of them are broken. These are NEW parts. And cost me like $0.03-0.05ea, I'd have to look. But it's expensive enough and just annoying to buy new parts and have to figure 5% of them are going to have to be tossed.

#11 61 days ago

So if I want to be able to crimp my own power connectors, what should I buy? Any recommendation on tools and connectors themselves?

#12 61 days ago

Thanks for keeping things going! Not sure what I'd do without Great Plains Electronics - my 'go to' business for Gottlieb edge connectors, and all other misc electronic parts.

#13 61 days ago

YES! Thank you Ed for all you do to keep this hobby going!

It is posts like this that trigger my hoarding gene!

#14 61 days ago

This is not good news Ed. We are currently looking at using Molex on a new product we are developing. May have to rethink that. Thanks for the heads up. John

#15 60 days ago

I don't think I'm ever going to be in the market for connectors or pins since I purchased all I will ever need back in the late 80's early 90's, but this is good info. Thanks for the heads-up, Ed.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pinball Z
    $ 59.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 229.99
    $ 149.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 12.95
    $ 146.66
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 7.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 499.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Great American Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 100.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 400.00
    Boards
    Great American Pinball
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 49.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 63.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 35.95
    Playfield - Other
    MicksPinball
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside