5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by j_m_
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

molex connectors (resized).jpg

#1 5 years ago

every connector that I can recall seeing has it were the plug (the part that slides 'over') contains the pin type terminal(s) and the receptacle (the part that fits 'inside') contains the socket type terminal(s), however this image listed from molex shows them the opposite way
    molex connectors (resized).jpgmolex connectors (resized).jpg

this begs the question of if there a right and a wrong way to terminate your connections or is it just a matter of preference?
    looking at the above image, I can see the benefit of terminating this way since it may be a bit easier to get the extractor tool over both types of terminals

I also seen it where larger connectors (e.g. 3x5) have the terminals mixed, forming a "key" so that the connection cannot be made improperly. this was on connectors that didn't have a [keyed] configuration and there was the potential of accidentally mating the 2 pieces 180° off

#2 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

every connector that I can recall seeing has it were the plug (the part that slides 'over') contains the pin type terminal(s) and the receptacle (the part that fits 'inside')

Yes it's called 'female' & 'male' and represents the 'vagina' & 'penis.'

Quoted from j_m_:

however this image listed from molex shows them the opposite way

Welcome to 2018 buddy

#3 5 years ago

It shouldn't matter. Depending on what you are doing, sometimes you'll have multiple connectors right next to each other, so you can do one M-F (Male-Female) and the F-M. That way you can't cross-plug them in the wrong way.

#4 5 years ago

yep, that makes sense if you have two bundles using the same type of connector.

and if you have more than 2 bundles using the same type of connectors, then that's where reversing just one of the pins (a different one for each set of bundled wires) would make sense

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/molex-connectors-right-wrong-way?hl=collint and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.