(Topic ID: 331814)

Molex connector type/source recommendations?

By Ollulanus

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 75 days ago by Lermods
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20230521_152344061.MP (resized).jpg
    PXL_20230520_190043457 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ollulanus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

So, there are clearly a LOT of different kinds of molex connectors, and I definitely like some better than others. I picked up a big kit of various sizes off amazone recently at a reasonable price, but they're all these aggravating leaf-style male connectors rather than substantial pins for example. Anyone have specific recommendations on specific types they like, preferably with a cost-effective bulk source? New machines where everything unplugs have spoiled me, and I'm set on adding them to all the major mechs when I shop an older game from now on.

Also - is there a reference somewhere for the different kinds of connectors, or is it just a hodge-podge free for all? Basically every time I order something from amazon it's a little different

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from rockwell:

If you're looking for plugs and receptacles to make easy disconnection points for your mechs, the .062 and .093 sizes should cover you. Here's a link to some I sell:
    https://wirebot.xyz/collections/0-062-1-58mm
    https://wirebot.xyz/collections/0-093-2-36mm

Awesome, pretty much what I had in mind and nice to be able to just buy each pin. I'm pretty much guaranteed to fuck up a a crimp occasionally.

Also, here's the kit I picked up cheap recently I mentioned, just for reference - the males are flat pins that are annoying to get connecting properly. Still, for the price I'm not exactly sad to have it in hand for options if I need something in a hurry.

Glarks 580Pcs 2.8mm Pitch 2 3 4 6 9 Pin Wire Connectors Housing Terminal, Male & Female Plug Housing and Pin Header Crimp Wire Terminals Connector Assortment Kit for Motorcycle, Bike, Car, Boats https://a.co/d/d3vKcLD

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinRetail:

Another vote for Wirebot!
    Also, Pinball Life sells the good stuff.
    https://www.pinballlife.com/molex-crimp-stuff-connectors-and-parts.html
    One of the sad things that I constantly deal with is people who buy inexpensive Arcade Games on the internet. Frequently these multi-games (when they aren't Arcade 1-up, which are a whole different level of inexpensive), frequently the games come with crimps that resemble what you have in this kit.
    And there's no way that the home owner would know, buying by swiping right on their phone, that the arcade game they just bought has connectors that aren't adequate to keep the game in working order. The connectors get loose, the problems start showing up, the service person has to tell the homeowner that the cost of getting their game to be reliable exceeds the value of the game.
    One thing that is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL in pinball is good connections.
    As a matter of fact, an entire category of pinballs (the great Bally/Stern games of the 80's) is almost banned from my shop because of the decision to use poor connectors. It's taking a LOT of hours of labor to replace connectors designed for 35 insertion-removal cycles.
    So much labor that unless it's a KISS pinball that I can sell for $7k, I usually can't justify the cost of getting the game in sellable condition.
    While this is your game, and you can do what you feel is necessary in order to get your game working...
    Use better parts.
    Your pinball is worth some money. It's likely to be worth more money as time goes on. Spend a few more dollars, get pins and plugs that will make a good long-lasting repair.
    Some technician in the future will thank you.

Yeah, like I said, those amazon connectors are kinda garbage. Again, for $15 it's kinda nice to have a slew on hand to get something going in a hurry, but I'm gonna order a bunch from wirebot this weekend.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ollulanus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/molex-connector-type-source-recommendations?tu=Ollulanus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.