Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

HTR-2445A (resized).jpg
    Durability (resized).jpg
    255f38396f4a1630160fe8027ee4dd0279927eb3 (resized).jpg
    41OVicAcQwL._AC_SY580_ (resized).jpg
    1EF888A7-E34B-4078-9699-D5752CB05619.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider brianbannon.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from BigAl56:

Big Daddy, https://www.bigdaddy-enterprises.com/ Has complete board by board kits with everything you need including the keys.
    Not properly replacing the connector key could be death to a game. When replacing connectors, especially on a power supply, remember to double and triple check the wire positions as you move them to the new connector. Being off by a pin and key is a potentially game fatal exercise.
    My tip is to not replace all the crimps unless they are burned. If there are signs of burning, and there often are, it's best to replace the pin headers too.
    While your at it, is the original NiCad battery still in place? If so remove it and order an NVRAM replacement.

Regarding connector keys...it was over 15 years ago, but still remember working on a Skateball that was new to me and I had removed one of the connectors on the driver board. Wasn't paying enough attention and after I replaced it, powered up the game and had problems. Someone along the way had repinned the connector, looked like with a pair of vise grips, and didn't replace the connector key. Ouch, lesson learned that day to inspect connectors for keys.

As far as not replacing crimps, aren't you concerned about the number of connector cycles that a given connector may have already gone through? Especially on the rectifier board. You are already replacing crimps, tools available, the parts are cheap. A typical original connector housing on the rectifier board will show some discoloration, usually will have burn marks. All the wires have to be moved to the new connector housing anyway. Just food for thought.

1 week later
    #21 2 years ago
    Quoted from BigAl56:

I feel the risk reward of replacing crimps just for the sake of it is usually not justified. If the game is operating nominally why look to create a problem. Properly crimping is an art and skill that one gets over hundreds of crimps. I just finished rebuilding the power supply crimps on a 45 year old Power Play. After replacing the burned crimps and connector shells the remaining original tinned crimps work perfectly. Not sure how many install remove cycles they've been through, but the original Molex spec we worked off of was in excess of 1000 and I doubt any original game has been close to that number.
    IDC style connectors and shells are another story. Absolutely leave them alone unless you are forced to replace them.

Interesting perspective. I certainly agree that crimping is a skill. I am sure I have well over 1000 crimps under my belt, and my last hundred are much better quality than my first hundred, even the tools I am using today are better than the ones I used 20 years ago with my first crimp. I always thought, and I am sure to have read it on RGP years ago, that the install remove cycle for tin plated connectors was much lower, say closer to 25 install remove cycles? I normally see little to no need to repin display connectors unless there is some sort of problem. Some of them have never been unmated and have a very tight connection.

As far as IDC goes, I have had as many problems with those connectors on old Bally as any other connector. Just luck of the draw I guess. Whenever the shells are missing, someone has usually been up to no good. Of course, there is that one IDC connector on the auxiliary lamp board that is always toast.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider brianbannon.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/molex-connector-supplier?tu=brianbannon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.