6 months ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by slochar
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3.96mm (resized).jpg
    #1 6 months ago

Having re-pinned about 10 games, i know how much it sucks. Ive used these in the the past for troubleshooting on games, before re-pinning the game theyre 3.96mm (or .156") screw terminal connector. Just wondering the general concusses is on re doing a whole game with these? My opinion is "its not stupid if it works" or its no different then using solder type edge connectors on a gottlieb vs pull and crimp. You could in theory complete a whole game in <50% of the time using a crimp tool, depending on if you de-pin or just start fresh. they come in a bunch of pin counts.

thoughts?

3.96mm (resized).jpg3.96mm (resized).jpg
    #2 6 months ago

When crimping molex pins are you using a ratcheting crimper tool? It makes both crimps at the same time. That would save you some time.

#3 6 months ago

I wouldn't. Crimped connectors are more reliable and less likely to get pulled out than the screw terminal connectors. Plus if you also install the matching connectors on the PCB, then you effectively lock the game into using just those specific boards--swapping out a board or display will become an ordeal. Also, if/when you go to sell the game, most buyers won't like the non-standard connectors.

What kind of crimping tool do you have? A ratcheting crimper will probably be faster than a manual one.

#4 6 months ago

How about IDC connectors?
    That's what most factory connectors were/are.

#5 6 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I wouldn't. Crimped connectors are more reliable and less likely to get pulled out than the screw terminal connectors. Plus if you also install the matching connectors on the PCB, then you effectively lock the game into using just those specific boards--swapping out a board or display will become an ordeal. Also, if/when you go to sell the game, most buyers won't like the non-standard connectors.
    What kind of crimping tool do you have? A ratcheting crimper will probably be faster than a manual one.

i have the sn-22, non ratcheting version, i order 2 at the time one was ratching and one not. And of course the one that didnt ratchet was the only one that worked. i bought what amazon had at the time 6 years ago and thought i would just use it for ONE game and be done. Been slightly stubborn to buy the ratching one, You would think i would have just bought the right one after getting a non ratching one and going through that pain. Ive been peeking through ebay to find an actually molex one ($$$) as they pop up from time to time. Which one are you using or suggest?

#7 6 months ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

How about IDC connectors?
    That's what most factory connectors were/are.

funny you mentioned this, someone else brought this up in another thread. most of the responses where they dont last, only good for a few years, etc. To me it seems logical most these games are coming up on 40 years and the IDCs have held up fine for the most part. Even NIB games are still using them.

#8 6 months ago

Perfect! thats dirt cheap. Site is full of good stuff! thanks!!!

#9 6 months ago

Yep also recommend their .100 crimp terminals. You won’t find them any cheaper. They come on a strip but they’re super easy to pull off the strip. Just rock them back and forth and they’ll come right off.

https://www.taydaelectronics.com/crimp-terminal-connector-2-54mm.html

#10 6 months ago
    Quoted from hockeymutt:

Just wondering the general concusses is on re doing a whole game with these? My opinion is "its not stupid if it works" or its no different then using solder type edge connectors on a gottlieb vs pull and crimp.

It'll work until it's time to change out a board for some reason. Then you're going to curse yourself as you unscrew the connections, pull the board, fix it, put it back in, rescrew, pull, etc.

Yes, recrimping sucks but IMO not as much as using these terminal strips (which to be more foolproof, you should crimp a ferule on the end of each wire anyway.... so still crimping involved)

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.