Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by TomGWI
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

SAM_2101-632.JPG
SAM_2101.JPG
IMG_1001.JPG

#1 5 years ago

Hello,
Looking for the Moes Tavern Sign Mod.
Does anyone know if its available again? I read the comments and I am aware reg. the EL paper problems
but I read that they might be solved. So I'm looking to buy one
Please PM me
Many thanks Pat

#2 5 years ago

Actually I just ordered LE paper and 12v inverter this morning and looking to mod my current sign hooked either to GI or the flasher, if it works out well I 'll let you know.

Mike

#3 5 years ago

Im interested to

#4 5 years ago

Ok just a quick update. The parts arrived today and I made a quick preview of what it's going to look like once I connect the wires to my desired location (most likely the insert arrow in front of the ramp). So here is a quick video showing the results thus far using my original sign with no permanent changes to the sign or machine.

Please excuse the crappy Youtube music but it's better then the Stern hum in the speakers with their older sound boards.

#5 5 years ago

Hey DeathHimself, where did you buy the LE paper and the 12v inverter? I'll be interested to see how you hook it up to the arrow in front of the ramp. Please take a picture of how you wire it!

#6 5 years ago

Super Mike , i like it

#7 5 years ago

Does the inverter producing any kind of noise ? I connected my converter directly to the 12V plug (on the right hand side near the coin door) and he is producing some noise like a tinnitus over the BB speaker

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from the_one:

Does the inverter producing any kind of noise ? I connected my converter directly to the 12V plug (on the right hand side near the coin door) and he is producing some noise like a tinnitus over the BB speaker

Yes. I remember having the one that was widely made previously and distinctly remember it too had a slight tinty humm every time it would light up. Not sure if the original mod creator ever found a work around.

#9 5 years ago

Sorry Guys, I just seen the replies. I don't recall hearing any noise from the inverter. The inverter can be hooked up to any Flasher or 12v source, the 6.3v inserts weren't enough to drive it. Below are the links to where I bought the EL paper from which came with the inverter.

This fellow is cheaper:
ebay.com link » 12 X1 25 Electroluminescent Panel El Tape Back Light 12v 5 Colors With Inverter

This is where I purchased from:
ebay.com link » A6 White 12v Flexible Electroluminescent Panel El Backlight Sheet W Inverter 6x4

I also ordered three color from the fellow on the first link, waiting on them to arrive

#10 5 years ago

Thanks for the links DeathHimself, you've opened my eyes to Electroluminescent Panel mods. I didn't know you could just cut them like that.

For the benefit of others:

#11 5 years ago

Yep, piece of cake. Have scissor will create lol. Oh and to make the hole where the screws go through, hole puncher is awesome

#12 5 years ago

One thing you guys might want to consider on your signs: buying a small on/off switch from Radio Shack and mounting it up near the coin door for easy access (use 20-gauge stranded wire if you do this). One came on the original Moe's sign but it's by the inverter & the PF has to be up to access it.

EL grows dim over time from use--so this way, you can turn the sign off when you're servicing the game with the power on--perhaps for shows, parties, etc.

#13 5 years ago

So you could hook this up directly to the spare 12v supply and it would be on all the time. How did you make it flash on and off?

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from sillyoldelf:

So you could hook this up directly to the spare 12v supply and it would be on all the time. How did you make it flash on and off?

Mine is actually hooked up to the flasher by the cooling towers, its lights when you shoot the bumpers and when you shoot the right ramp welcoming you to Moe's. I don't have it on constantly.

#15 5 years ago

Pardon my ignorance but how do you attach the paper to the sign? Is it just held on by the sign bracket and 2 screws from the back?

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from gac:

Pardon my ignorance but how do you attach the paper to the sign? Is it just held on by the sign bracket and 2 screws from the back?

Exactly, then I cut a small piece of cardboard and placed it between the paper and the metal mounting plate so it insulates the paper from the metal.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Mine is actually hooked up to the flasher by the cooling towers, its lights when you shoot the bumpers and when you shoot the right ramp welcoming you to Moe's. I don't have it on constantly.

Did you just solder the wires from the inverter directly to the flasher wires? Does it matter which way round they go - is there a positive and negative?

#18 5 years ago

No, under the playfield there is a set of plugs for the flasher by the cooling towers. Just separate those plugs, place the black and red wires in the holes of the female plug and just plug them up again holding the wires in place, a few zip ties to secure the wires and converter. Nothing cut, no soldering and no permanent changes to the machine.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from sillyoldelf:

is there a positive and negative?

Yes there is, the red to the red and I believe black to what is a yellow wire.

#20 5 years ago

Thanks, will try to connect the sign as well to the cooling towers. Lets see what happens with that noise.

1 week later
#21 5 years ago

Any other successes with the sign, is there indeed a noise/humm that you can hear with the glass on?

Thanks

#22 5 years ago

I might put this stuff under my nuclear side rails

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Exactly, then I cut a small piece of cardboard and placed it between the paper and the metal mounting plate so it insulates the paper from the metal.

Best insulator is fisch paper. You can pick it up at electronic stores or from Pinstore: http://www.pinrestore.com/Supplies.html

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Best insulator is fisch paper. You can pick it up at electronic stores or from Pinstore: http://www.pinrestore.com/Supplies.html

Thanks for the heads up, going to order some right now.

Quoted from Ramjet:

is there indeed a noise/humm that you can hear with the glass on?

I have not heard any hum with the glass on at all, but take into consideration I have the older sound system in my 2003 machine, and all those sound boards from back then hum thru the speakers.

1 week later
#25 5 years ago

I have a Moes Tavern sign for sale 125.00 anyone interested can contact me at aellis29@cox.net or 1-850-396-8422. Alan

#26 5 years ago

I have an led behind the stock Moe's sign that works great. It's about an inch away from the sign, if i put the light any closer, it seems to light up with a hot spot, but having it an inch away, looks almost as good as the EL paper. Very cheap upgrade that works great.

#27 5 years ago

Hey domijr, would love to see some pictures of your mod. Thanks

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from Ramjet:

Hey domijr, would love to see some pictures of your mod. Thanks

Here ya go, this mod was done by the previous owner, the light for the sign was wired into Moe's 2x scoring, i disconnected the light though, since it was making the Moe's 2x scoring light up when it shouldn't. I also had a bus with headlights that was wired to Springfield Elementary 2x scoring which was also making it light up when it shouldn't. Both mods are great but i need to find a better place to tap into.

IMG_1001.JPG

#29 5 years ago

cool stuff

#30 5 years ago

Does anybody know if you can you just take a flex led blub, cut the wires were it joins to the blub connect and then reattach some longer leads to the GI? Would that work?

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from Ramjet:

Does anybody know if you can you just take a flex led blub, cut the wires were it joins to the blub connect and then reattach some longer leads to the GI? Would that work?

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-diy-moes-tavern-poor-mans-mod-2#post-894472

Not attached to GI but don't see a reason why you couldn't do same mod but to GI

#32 5 years ago

Thanks, I didn't see that old thread on the subject. I think I might just connect to the GI so it is lit all the time. Thanks again TomGWI

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from domijr:

Here ya go, this mod was done by the previous owner, the light for the sign was wired into Moe's 2x scoring, i disconnected the light though, since it was making the Moe's 2x scoring light up when it shouldn't. I also had a bus with headlights that was wired to Springfield Elementary 2x scoring which was also making it light up when it shouldn't. Both mods are great but i need to find a better place to tap into.

The wires were tapped into before the diode within the socket for the 2x scoring, thus it's lighting the rest of that row/column.

Tap into it with the wires for the mod directly into the socket, which then is behind the diode, and blocks the circuit from going through the rest. It's a tight fit, as the sockets are made for one wire, but it can be done.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

The wires were tapped into before the diode within the socket for the 2x scoring, thus it's lighting the rest of that row/column.
Tap into it with the wires for the mod directly into the socket, which then is behind the diode, and blocks the circuit from going through the rest. It's a tight fit, as the sockets are made for one wire, but it can be done.

Ya, i was looking at the pics in that thread mentioned above and i see that's how it's suppose to be installed. This was connected to the socket with alligator clips.... so splicing it onto the socket like the wires on the socket now should fix the issue? I'll try that later today.

#35 5 years ago

SAM_2101.JPG

This is my Moes Tavern if anyone is interested 125. 00. Contact Alan aellis29@cox.net or 1-850-396-8422

SAM_2101-632.JPG
1 week later
#36 5 years ago

I connected it now to the right ramp arrow, its fine now no further noise !

3 weeks later
#37 5 years ago

The Moe's sign has been sold!!! Please no more emails!! Alan

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from Alspinnball:

The Moe's sign has been sold!!! Please no more emails!! Alan

Take your email and phone number out of the post above or people will keep contacting you. Just my 2 cents

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside