(Topic ID: 203413)

Mods like or hate them, what's your opinion?

By dcannan

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by paragon66x
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“like, hate, don't care”

• like 14 votes
      50%
    • hate 8 votes
      29%
    • don't care 6 votes
      21%

(28 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

judge (resized).jpg
    Guardians shooter.gif
    Snackbar Mod v2.2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4244 (resized).JPG

#1 6 years ago

I just finished reading posts about the value mods add to a game. I was surprised to find how many replies matched my opinion . When I was building my collection pre 2000 the object was to find pins that looked as close to factory fresh as possible. The only mods on any of my machines were done to protect the game with out affecting it's original look. I will admit I modified my TZs clocks by adding diodes, and (oh how I hated doing it) drilling holes in the top to let heat escape. At that time it was the only way to keep them from frying them self. I just got back into going to shows a couple of years ago and was surprised how many games were decked out in a way the original designers probably never thought of. It seemed to me any machine with a lot of mods and a high price on it. I have two TZs one home and one at a friends slot car track. One of his customers contacted me wanting to trade me their Theater of Magic for my location TZ. Stated I know your TZ would normally be worth more than my TOM but look at all the cool mods mine has and that should equal the price. With what I had seen at the shows I assumed that probably was reasonable. I looked at their machine, got to play it a bit, helped them fix a couple of minor issues for the game, and turned down the trade. Forget value I don't want to start a war here. You know my opinion. If you mod your games ad be happy playing them, I might not complement you for your mods, but will not criticize them either. If you want to take a collectable game outside and let people throw rocks at it, that is your right. I'm wouldn't approve of it but your right. So how about it mods yes or no.

IMG_4244 (resized).JPGIMG_4244 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

It really depends on the mod in question. If it fits the theme, blends well, and doesn't interfere with gameplay or visibility, I'm ok with it. They're certainly not necessary, but I wouldn't turn down a machine with a few well-integrated mods on it.

#3 6 years ago

Your game, your opinion. It's really more in the execution.

My personal feeling is mods are great if they improve the functionality of the game (your diodes, heat holes, better lighting, etc) and visual mods (toys) are fine as well if done tastefully and somewhat sparingly.

One row of holes would have done it BTW.

#4 6 years ago

I generally don't want to pay for these mods. I'm not in the 'keep it factory' camp, but I do think people shouldn't expect to get much or anything for all the dumb mods they add to it. For me personally I play the game, I want to pay for the game. If you chose to add some mods such as leds, I may not like them so I'm not going to pay you an extra $100 over another game that doesn't have those.

Case in point, I just picked up an lotr for $4100. During my search i had someone try to sell me an lotr and they wanted $7500. There is no combination of mods that could possibly justify a $3400 price increase to me. Not everyone feels the same way as me of course. What really pushes my buttons is when someone goes to sell a stock machine they see those listings for $7500 and think they can get that too.

#5 6 years ago

I've got a few mods but I try to use them sparingly. I only have modded LED saucers in RFM, for example. I have the video amplifier in it, but I don't consider that a mod either. I don't consider adding safety features like adding fuses to system 11 bridge rectifiers as a mod.

I also never charge extra for mods, I throw them in for free when I sell a game. I also save and throw in any original parts that were removed when I sell a game. If someone were to ask me to take money off for a mod, I would just tell them I'll remove the mod for free. Nobody has complained.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from gunstarhero:

Your game, your opinion. It's really more in the execution.
    My personal feeling is mods are great if they improve the functionality of the game (your diodes, heat holes, better lighting, etc) and visual mods (toys) are fine as well if done tastefully and somewhat sparingly.
    One row of holes would have done it BTW.

Just to clarify my opinion. I highly approve of mods that that protect the game like what I did to my TZ clocks or reinforcing the stand up target next to the slot machine. Actually that sort of thing is common sense, and should be done on all machines. I have been a good technician, but never a good artist, and never felt I could improve on a true artists work.

When I put all of those holes in the clock there was not a group like this. I had borrowed money to buy my NIB TZ. When the problem started to be noted in the industry trade journal, the first answer was to start buying spare clocks. Then some one described a hack to save the clocks. No pictures just drill holes to let the heat out and install diodes. I wasn't going to take any chances so all the holes.

Thanks for you advice.

#7 6 years ago

I'm in the I like mods camp- but as others have said need to be tastefully done and removable if desired. it seems that most can be taken off if you sell or get tired of them. Putting good quality led's in an older machine does help lots- IMO. One thing I haven't seen a big discussion on is if the latest Stern games have any issues with add on items being that everybody says the spike system is so touchy

#8 6 years ago

A custom shooter or a few internal decorations are OK, but DO NOT expect a return on investment for these when you sell.

Sometimes the mod can even de-value the machine if it is not inexpensively and easily reversible.

#9 6 years ago

I design and sell the odd mod and my take is I like to personalise a game but it needs to be removable so the game can be returned to original, and I try to integrate into a game and where possible capture a feature within the art / game. I try to go for the "it should of been factory" look - but this is a challenge and people will always have an opinion and disagree.

End of the day add mods because you like the look or function, it is a personal taste thing and some people like to have some unique.

I designed the snackbar mod for CFTBL for me, and then lots of people showed interest but I did it because I wanted it for my game to add a 3d look for that area - the interest just followed. I am now designing a Milano Throttle Shooter because I want to try the idea out - I am sure it won't be cheap but it is for me and if people want one then I will decide that then if I make more.

As for buying games with mods, depending on the mod you could always determine the re-sell of just that mod and take that off the game - one way to offset the price.

Snackbar Mod v2.2 (resized).jpgSnackbar Mod v2.2 (resized).jpg
    Guardians shooter.gifGuardians shooter.gif

#10 6 years ago

That throttle shooter looks cool, but kinda pinch-y...

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from gunstarhero:

That throttle shooter looks cool, but kinda pinch-y...

yeah, that is just the mechanical design part, still needs dressie bits to capture the look and protect from pinch points

#12 6 years ago

ColorDMD, LEDs for GI (tastefully done), LED for some inserts where warranted. I may LED all inserts depending on the game and the inserts, but the main thing is it can't adversely affect gameplay or be distracting.

#13 6 years ago

haha when I read your title I thought you were talking about the moderators of the site....

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

I design and sell the odd mod and my take is I like to personalise a game but it needs to be removable so the game can be returned to original, and I try to integrate into a game and where possible capture a feature within the art / game. I try to go for the "it should of been factory" look - but this is a challenge and people will always have an opinion and disagree.

Your mods are always have that factory look and feel Swinks, you never just stick an LED in a cheap piece of plastic, which has become all too common in the pinball mod game.

Your CFTBL snackbar mod is up there in the top 10 best mods of all time, along with, Tron Arcade Cabinet, Woz Red Smoke Witch and JP T-Rex, its just awesome! And that GOTG shooter rod looks great

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from jake35:

haha when I read your title I thought you were talking about the moderators of the site....

judge (resized).jpgjudge (resized).jpg

#17 6 years ago

I have a shitload of mods.

#18 6 years ago

Not a fan. Games are already way too expensive.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mods-like-or-hate-them-whats-your-opinion and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.