(Topic ID: 287932)

MODS: Are the machine ratings a joke now?

By mrgregb123

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by mrm_4
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Ran into something odd today. I was in the Avengers: IQ Premium ratings and noticed that despite the game being rated 8.7, it has ZERO ratings with comments that give it a poor rating. The game is clearly a hit or miss with most people so we all know it has good AND bad ratings, but where are the bad ones?

Answer: Pinside hides most of them by default. Any rating that gets 10 or more 'flags' gets hidden by the default filter. Why are you doing this??

It's obvious from reading them that 95%+ of flagged ratings are legit, real ratings by someone who has played the game. Yet Pinside perpetuates a system where you can simply rig the comments by flagging any comments you don't like as 'fake' and once enough fanboys join in, *poof* that real authentic rating comment vanishes. The flagging system largely serves no real purpose beyond allowing fanboys who are mad that someone doesn't like their game to erase those 'poor' comments.

Mods, there are a few steps you can take to bring legitimacy back to the ratings comments:

- Stop defaulting the filter to exclude ratings with 10 more flags. My review of Avengers: IQ is as real as the sun and has 19 flags indicating it's fake. There are TONS more comments in the same boat on Pinside. It's insulting when someone takes the time to write a review to then have adults with the mentality of school-age children flag it because it hurt their feelings.

- Penalize users who flag legit reviews as fake. Suspend those that do it repeatedly. Enough with the BS.

- Remove the ability to flag reviews you've 'moderated' and determined to be legit.

Any of those steps is better than what you have now. It's important that someone looking to purchase a game get to read ALL of the perspectives on a game, not just those that are positive.

#2 3 years ago

Who cares? I never even look at them. All that matters to me is if I like it. I'm sure there's plenty of games I like that are poorly rated, but whatever. I haven't played many of the newer games yet like AIQ. I have no desire to go see how it's rated. I'll play it eventually and know for myself whether I like it or not.

#3 3 years ago

Did you even read my post? I wasn't b*tching about the ratings. I was pointing out that GOOD -comments- that are negative are hidden. That's a problem. Plenty of people would care - if they actually knew this was going on. It's not obvious that Pinside filters the results for you by default. I had no idea until I noticed a review I wrote wasn't shown....low and behold there were a bunch not being shown. But hey, if nobody GAF about it then I guess I'm going to start flagging bad ratings for games I own too.

#4 3 years ago

Negative ratings are out in this current environment. People are sued for bad ratings for Hotels, Restaurants, just about everything.
A slew of bad ratings can be seen as political and deleted or hid. Someone makes a determination that dozens or hundreds of bad reviews and negative comments came from an ulterior motive.
Hence unworthy.
New machine reviewers (with few exceptions) try and stay in the good graces of the Manufacturers so tiptoe around flaws, bad design and lousy game play so they can keep "Insider" status.
It may lead to only "Professional" Reviewers being able to submit thoughts.

#5 3 years ago

Then why do I see some ratings with more than 10 red flags still?

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

Then why do I see some ratings with more than 10 red flags still?

Ones with exactly 10 still show up when the "exclude 10 or more" filter is on. Look at the filter when you go to the comments for a game and see what it's set at by default. On mine it was set to exclude ratings with 10+ flags. I was really upset about it because I use the comments to gather sentiment on a game [that I can't play somewhere - there's pandemic here in RI] before I consider buying and to now find out all the negative comments that the fanboys flagged were hidden....I'm bummed.

#7 3 years ago

Yes, the system is broken, which is exactly why I never bothered to write a review. Reviews are reviews good or bad and ALL should be included and count towards the numeric rating unless the review violates a Pinside rule like having some really offensive language. I no longer pay attention to the ratings as they are just about meaningless.

#8 3 years ago

I would say the ratings is a decent tool for new people entering the hobby. It gives them something to look at. IF you take the top 100 its a good top 100. Should some be a bit higher on the list? Perhaps. Should some be a bit lower...Perhaps but all in all the list is a good starting point and reference guide for newer collectors. People are always going to make multiple accounts and rate games in there favor (so they think). It gives these people the illusion of control.

#9 3 years ago

I think it is important to show the good and bad. I like to read the comments on reviews. If people take the time to write them, they should stay visible. It helps people to get a feeling for the game if they haven't seen or played it. A good negative or mediocre review that is well written and thought out is so much better than a 10 with comment "GOAT!"

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

A good negative or mediocre review that is well written and thought out is so much better than a 10 with comment "GOAT!"

Agree 100%

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

Did you even read my post?

You could literally describe the secret to eternal youth and wealth, but if it’s more than 2 sentences on pinside, it’ll remain a secret.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 125.00
Playfield - Other
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Other
BomberMods

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 65.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

7,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Machine - For Sale
Boston, MA
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Nixa, MO
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 34.00
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Old Town Pinball

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.50
Playfield - Other
Precision Pinball prod.

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mods-are-the-machine-ratings-a-joke-now?hl=mrm_4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.