Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Frax
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC02448 (resized).JPG
    DSC02446 (resized).JPG
    DSC02447 (resized).JPG
    DSCN0825 (resized).JPG
    DSCN0822 (resized).JPG
    DSCN0823 (resized).JPG
    DSCN0821 (resized).JPG
    p7fvfonk6e861 (resized).jpg
    im-out-shark-tank.gif
    20220214_205042 (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

Hi all, so im just about finished renovating my basement into a pretty cool hangout spot. I want to setup my pinball machine so that the back legs are sitting on a fireplace mantle which is about a foot tall. Im thinking of putting it in the corner as you can see from the picture.
    My plan is to buy a second set of legs and modify them so that the machine will sit properly.

The machine is a demolition man and I found these legs, is there anyway to know if they will work?
    https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/500-5921-00
    20220214_205042 (resized).jpg20220214_205042 (resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago

Well i would say not to do it of course.
    Then id say you'll need rubber cups for the legs and the thing will probably still walk all over the ledge...depending on its finish.

But, you could just take those legs and cut out the amount needed to shorten them and then weld them back together.
    Unless someone has a source for very short pinball legs...was it Seeburg that made those really short legs? Some jukebox company that got in the pinball biz

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Then id say you'll need rubber cups for the legs and the thing will probably still walk all over the ledge...depending on its finish.
    But, you could just take those legs and cut out the amount needed to shorten them and then weld them back together.
    Unless someone has a source for very short pinball legs...was it Seeburg that made those really short legs? Some jukebox company that got in the pinball biz

My plan was to cut out a section and then weld them back together, i didnt think of it "walking" is that a issue that i should be concerned about if i modify a set of legs?

This is just an idea, I can put it other places i just though i would ask for some opinions.

#4 2 years ago

My thought is its a 250-300lbs object so I would think its gonna move around on slickish surface. Rubber feet cups may be enough.

#5 2 years ago

Just do it. Won’t be an issue.

Cut off the bottom 1/2” off the leg (the flat bit at the bottom) then cut out the height of your mantle out of the leg. Weld the bottom back on. Done.

Pinball Life legs are way cheaper. Buy them there. Just buy a set of 4 WPC legs for $40.

rd

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I agree, if it slips off during some very aggressive play, you’re gonna have a bad time.
    Cutting some new legs isn’t hard. Some people just cut them off, and refold and re-tap the bottom. Not an issue.
    The concern is putting a nearly 300 pound machine, that is designed to be nudged and shook quite a lot, on a tiny ledge with a steep drop off!

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

that is designed to be nudged and shook quite a lot, on a tiny ledge with a steep drop off!

Haaayzus!

I dunno what you guys are doing to your pins - but that ledge is like 2 paint cans wide.

No pin is coming off that unless you are giving it the WWE treatment!

rd

#8 2 years ago

No issue with modifying legs as others have said if done right.

However just a little forward thinking…it would be a little awkward to set it up there but with help not a problem. But if I had to work on it or move it, it may be a pain sitting up on that ledge. If you move it off the ledge to work on it, then it would be at an awkward angle and would probably have to swap legs back and forth…it may not be an issue if you don’t have to work on it very often. Just something to consider but if that’s not a concern for you go for it.

#9 2 years ago

It is a disaster waiting to happen. You or a friend, gets excited during a game and nudges or pulls too hard and your back leg slips off that ledge, resulting in your 300 lb pin and all it's breakable parts, SLAMMING to the floor.

As someone who has tipped over a table, just don't.

Quoted from rotordave:

Haaayzus!
    I dunno what you guys are doing to your pins - but that ledge is like 2 paint cans wide.
    No pin is coming off that unless you are giving it the WWE treatment!
    rd

I have seen men sling a pin 2 foot to the right, during a tournament. So yes, it happens.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from RandyW:

It is a disaster waiting to happen. You or a friend, gets excited during a game and nudges or pulls too hard and your back leg slips off that ledge, resulting in your 300 lb pin and all it's breakable parts, SLAMMING to the floor.
    As someone who has tipped over a table, just don't.

I have seen men sling a pin 2 foot to the right, during a tournament. So yes, it happens.

Do you and your friends play contact pinball or something….I don’t know ANY tournaments that would allow that aggressive play. Games can definitely take plenty of nudging with no issue but that’s a little drastic. How the hell do you flip a game while playing….it’s time to get help for that roid rage LOL!

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pickle:Do you and your friends play contact pinball or something….I don’t know ANY tournaments that would allow that aggressive play. Games can definitely take plenty of nudging with no issue but that’s a little drastic. How the hell do you flip a game while playing….it’s time to get help for that roid rage LOL!

I never said I flipped a game while playing. But in the process of moving one, I have dropped it on it's side. So I would HIGHLY avoid putting the rear legs on a step. But I have seen plenty of players sling a table to the side after a center drain in a highly charged match.

Just because you don't, doesn't mean someone won't, once, at your house.

#12 2 years ago

I would just make it easy and push the pinball in the corner, leaving it on the floor. you would only loose about 16-20 inches of space, unless you absolutely need that space. If for any reason you have to move a game, then you won't have to worry about the short legs.

But as others have stated, it won't be a problem to cut and reweld the bottom, or cut/fold/tap a hole. I'm lazy though, and that's a lot of work for 16 inches of space. If you're going to do a full row...

im-out-shark-tank.gifim-out-shark-tank.gif
    #13 2 years ago

How about that wood stove insert? It's gonna get pretty hot close to that when in use.
    Besides the obvious danger, I just think it'll look odd and the small space gained is not worth it.
    .02c

#14 2 years ago

This player is very happy.

p7fvfonk6e861 (resized).jpgp7fvfonk6e861 (resized).jpg
    #15 2 years ago

I personally wouldn't do it, but if you do I would strongly recommend removing the casters and literally bolting it to the floor to prevent it from falling off. That is a disaster waiting to happen even with rubber footies. If you have it up there you shouldn't be allowing nudging anyways. Alternatively, IF you persist on mounting it up there and want some wiggle room for nudging I would cut some 2x4s to size making a small box that the back legs couldn't leave without going over the lip. Once again, I do not recommend any of this, but if you do insist on continuing down this course would recommend some additional safety measures. A falling pin would absolutely kill a small child watching on a stool next to it.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from Maybeknot:

I want to setup my pinball machine so that the back legs are sitting on a fireplace mantle which is about a foot tall.

I can see doing this if you are limited on space but that doesn't appear to be the case, so the question I have is.... why? It's going to look weird with short legs on the back, aside from the other stuff that everyone else has pointed out.

Demolition Man in particular encourages some movement of the game, too, especially if you play by the handles.

#17 2 years ago

I would bust out the mantle before I did all that mess

#18 2 years ago

Keep the legs, Get it against the wall, as you wish. Drill deep holes into the Brick.

#19 2 years ago

Have you considered juicing up the flipper strength? That and a strong shot of coffee and you’re good to go.

#20 2 years ago

Don't do it. You will need to pull the game out at some point to work on it or move it. You will have to make sure the casters are adjustable so you can properly level the game so you will need someone to cut and weld stock legs. You will also need to make sure you always have easy access to back of game which will be hard if you line up another game next to it. If the game ever fell off the ledge, that will be an expensive disaster.

#21 2 years ago

Here’s a crazy idea: build a wide shelf that is supported by and rides over the mantle. Remove the back legs of the pinball machine and using a lift, slide the pinball machine onto the shelf. Use a chain between the underside of the shelf and the underside of the pinball machine so that it can’t slide forward. When you need to service the machine, disconnect the chain, use the lift to slide it out and attach legs which are conveniently stored under the shelf.

#22 2 years ago

I would not do this unless:
    You already have or plan on buying a pinball dolly.
    You have investigated and understand how to adjust the leg levelers on a game AND you are ok with not easily adjusting the pitch of this game... something I change up all the time.
    You are ok if you accidentally damage a ledge that was never designed to handle the weight of a pinball machine.

The more important question is.... are those windows getting any sunlight at all? Glare during a sunny day could certainly cause a blinding sunlight pinball crisis and fade the artwork on the right side of the game considerably.

#23 2 years ago

Don’t do it. It’s going to look just as bad if it sits in front of the mantle, so do that instead.

Plus when you come to your senses you have full size pinball legs and you can move it elsewhere

#24 2 years ago

I'd have to agree about watching sunlight. I'd assume there will be good curtains / blinds being used there.

As far as the ledge goes, personally, I'd leave legs alone and put it up close to the ledge. Then, ontop of the ledge, maybe sneak a little shelving in that dead space, and find a few pinball/gameroom collectibles to place on shelf and enjoy.

No wasted space, no extra work, and no worry of any damage to a machine or to the tiles.

#25 2 years ago

Clearly need a poll on doing it or not lol. I’m in the dont do it camp — regardless of if there’s potential to have it come off during a hard nudge/shove, setting a game up with any opportunity to tip off something is inherently a bad idea. And likely you will want to slide it around to work on it as well - do you have room to work on both sides.

#26 2 years ago

I have 3 of my pins sitting on the concrete foundation wall (Tommy, Addams Family & Whirlwind), in my garage / game room approx 6" off the ground. I did this because the pins across from them were too close and it didn't allow me to pull the glass off.

I took 6 (crap) legs to machine shop and had them cut 6" out of center and weld them back together.

The pins sit on top of that concrete shelve, which is approx 5" deep with bottom of legs up against the wall. I've had them there for 13 years, with hundreds of play, and no issues.

My Tommy & GNR's were too wide to fit in that corner, so I shortened the 2 left legs on Tommy and now they're very happy there.
    DSCN0821 (resized).JPGDSCN0821 (resized).JPGDSCN0822 (resized).JPGDSCN0822 (resized).JPGDSCN0823 (resized).JPGDSCN0823 (resized).JPGDSCN0825 (resized).JPGDSCN0825 (resized).JPG

#27 2 years ago

I have a set of chrome legs 22 in tall , with plate and threaded hole on the bottom , sent you a pm of pictures

DSC02446 (resized).JPGDSC02446 (resized).JPGDSC02447 (resized).JPGDSC02447 (resized).JPGDSC02448 (resized).JPGDSC02448 (resized).JPG
    #28 2 years ago

Instead, I think I would put a cushion on that mantle from about the paint can to the wall. It would invite occupants to sit on the ledge. Seems a better use of what the room offers than obscuring 30 inches of it for the game.

-Rob
    -visit https://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement LED display boards for model D, E, H, & S Skee Ball

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Just do it. Won’t be an issue.
    Cut off the bottom 1/2” off the leg (the flat bit at the bottom) then cut out the height of your mantle out of the leg. Weld the bottom back on. Done.
    Pinball Life legs are way cheaper. Buy them there. Just buy a set of 4 WPC legs for $40.
    rd

You have clearly never met my wife.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/modifying-pinball-legs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.