• Latest reply 9 years ago by dnhayden
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pingraffix0010_large.png
#1 9 years ago

I just purchased a used STLE.And the previous owner drilled out the laser hole to be round.This allows the light show to expand on the mirror blades and the dmd.Also the stainless steel speaker panel & part of the mirrored back glass.
So the light show is Awesome!.But my concern is laser reflecting into eyes via the mirror blades,Backglass and Stainless panel.
Has anyone else done this?.Or seen this done?.Should i be concerned?.
I suppose i could put a piece of black tape over the top half,To make it a half moon again.Or maybe a round rubber grommet to make the hole smaller.What are my fellow pinsiders thoughts on this matter.
Regards,
Pinzzz

#2 9 years ago

Bump

#3 9 years ago

You can always get the pinblades artwork instead of the mirror blades. Personally, I'm a huge fan of mirror blades but took a chance with the artwork for this title and think it's absolutely awesome!

Grats on the pin!

#4 9 years ago

The laser is low wattage and is diffused further by being split. Steve Ritchie himself had hinted at the mod of drilling the hole bigger to increase the laser show. I don't see it any different from all those star field projectors that people have light up their rooms. I'm no scientician but not something that would worry me much.

#5 9 years ago

I'm pretty sure I know who you bought this from, he posted about his mod after he did it. I remember thinking it looked really awesome and always planned to do that to mine. Can you tell if he increased the diameter of the hole or if he just opened up the other half of the circle?

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

or if he just opened up the other half of the circle

Yep !

#7 9 years ago

I 2nd frolics reply. People rightfully are concerned about eye damage from lasers, however the stuff that you really need to worry about is the more powerful high wattage types. Would I let it shine directly into my eye for 10 mins? No way. A passing flash here or there? I wouldn't worry about it.

#8 9 years ago

If the laser were harmful, it would require a hazard sticker. At the least it should be in the manual. Why don't you contact Stern and ask if the laser is eye-safe or not.
"Don't look into the light!"

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

If the laser were harmful, it would require a hazard sticker.

It has one. DANGER sticker right above the laser hole on the apron.

#10 9 years ago

This is the main reason I did not put mirror blades on my machine.
Great question for an eye-doctor pinhead

#11 9 years ago

Thxs Guys.The hole is a 3/4" circle.It sure is awesome!.

#12 9 years ago

This laser light is the red, I believe 680nm laser. I remember looking at the output of the laser and it is low, however I would not shine this light directly in my eyes and would avoid any exposure to it. I want to say it's a 5mw laser but I might be off on that.

Exposure to laser light is extremely damaging to the retina and to the macula of your eye. And it is irreparable damage.

That being said, a reflected flash from the ss on the head or off the translite probably would be at greatly reduced intensity since they are not gloss surfaces and would scatter some of the light. A reflection of the laser from mirrored blades would be almost the same intensity as the incident light.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

You can always get the pinblades artwork instead of the mirror blades. Personally, I'm a huge fan of mirror blades but took a chance with the artwork for this title and think it's absolutely awesome!
Grats on the pin!

I have the PinBlades art along with the black light mods and it's awesome.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

The laser is low wattage and is diffused further by being split. Steve Ritchie himself had hinted at the mod of drilling the hole bigger to increase the laser show. I don't see it any different from all those star field projectors that people have light up their rooms. I'm no scientician but not something that would worry me much.

Then there's the glass which probably reduces the power of the laser show . I'd personally be ok with it as is. However, you could always benefit from sunglasses during game play... as it might help deal with the sheer volume of lite coming from that PF. 8D

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It has one. DANGER sticker right above the laser hole on the apron

Well then. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

#16 9 years ago

Ok fellas..so I have another question.. What if the laser light was actually green now?

That is what we have installed on our PGX machine with UV PinBlade kit.

I have to say I'm liking the green.

Glad you guys like the PinBlade kit

#17 9 years ago

Isn't green (laser) a more dangerous frequency to the eyes?

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from KeithinMI:

I have the PinBlades art along with the black light mods and it's awesome.

I'am getting the pinblades art, but not the lighting effects for both my machines, MEt and ST both premium models.

Quoted from Pinzzz:

Thxs Guys.The hole is a 3/4" circle.It sure is awesome!.

How do you make the laser hole bigger? I'am interested in doing this.

#19 9 years ago

Green is higher on the human eye curve... it takes less power to do more damage.
I'd be very careful "modding" to the right power level.

#20 9 years ago

Mine was modded so it includes a 1 Watt green laser. ( <-- That's a joke. Don't do it.)

Seriously though, in the manual there is a warning not to operator the laser with the playfield glass off.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Isn't green (laser) a more dangerous frequency to the eyes?

The eye is more sensitive to the green wavelenghts than red. So even if the power was the same on the green laser your eye would be absorbing more enery than with the red.

Since our eyes are less sensitive to red thats why in submarines they switch to red lighting during battle stations at night. that way if they have to surface suddenly and abandon ship, everyones eyes adjust quickly to the darkness. If they were in full white light then had to ditch at night it would take a few minutes for their eyes to adjust and be able to see well. In sci-fi space movies or tv shows they go to red lighting during battle stations because it just looks cooler.

#22 9 years ago

any pictures or vid of this light show?

#24 9 years ago

Pingraffix0010_large.pngPingraffix0010_large.png

actually here is a picture I have..you can't see much of the green laser in this shot..but its there..

#25 9 years ago

I hate green laser pointers because they are so freakin bright. Even bouncing off a projector screen they hurt my eyes.

#26 9 years ago

Red is nice as well... I like both. Either way a very cool feature.. Now if someone can just figure out ho two make some smoke that is safe for the game play field so you can really see those laser beams...

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from joeraptor2003:

Red is nice as well... I like both. Either way a very cool feature.. Now if someone can just figure out ho two make some smoke that is safe for the game play field so you can really see those laser beams...

that'd be easy, although I'm not sure of the long-term effects on the playfield and plastics.

dry ice in water and run a hose to the inside of the pf so the dry ice 'smoke' is inside of there.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from steve1515:

Mine was modded so it includes a 1 Watt green laser. ( <-- That's a joke. Don't do it.)
Seriously though, in the manual there is a warning not to operator the laser with the playfield glass off.

I attempted to put a 30 watt CO2 laser in there but the first time the Klingon battle went off, it burned a hole right through the back of the machine. Anyone want an "airy" STLE really cheap?

#29 9 years ago

Real Genius mod?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.95
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/modified-laser-hole-on-stle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.